The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 5,314
Repost from the Walkman Firmware Thread:

A big part of the day was going back and a short “re-investigation” of the Sony MDR-Z1R and Sony 1A/1Z. I may not fully qualify for these tests as it needs to be disclosed I’m a MDR-Z1R owner but not a daily MDR-Z1R user. It’s my favorite full-size and I love what it does, I’m just more of an IEM listener?

The question of the day was how close could the 1A be to the Sony TA desktop. As well as what could even happen to try and side step the Sony TA by sending the signal 3.5mm to the Schiit Asgard One via an RCA cable and using the DAPs like the DACs they kinda truly are.

There will obviously be variations in everyone’s own personal subjective tastes and listening levels. It should be noted too, that the 1A was in (old-school) 1A/1Z+ switched into 1Z in “J” region with the 1Z living in “J” region code along with MrWalkmans stylish and fancy new DMP-Z1 emulation magical dust application!

End results:

The difference between the 1A and TA desktop has been made much more narrow. The best learning was using the DAPs 4.4mm output with the Kimber to the MDR-Z1R as a way to truly get better 3D imaging, than the Asgard. The Schiit Asgard while offering a new tad more authoritative tone, was still out smoothed by the Walkmans, with the Asgard just becoming more 2D as a soundstage. If the bass was slightly better, the rest of the signature was given noticeable grain. It was both this grain and lack of 3D imaging that made going back to the Walkmans that much more rewarding and real?

Much of these tests also involved an intermediary step of simply joining the 3.5mm included MDR-Z1R cable as included into the DAP 3.5mm output, before going full Kimber 4.4mm again. Even 3.5mm single ended seemed to show a nice shimmer of gloss not offered by convoluting the signal past the mini-to-RCA splitter into the (old-school-audiophile) Virtual Dynamics Master Series RCA interconnection cable....thus finally ending at the Schiit Asgard.

Once again the 1A became the preferred player with MrWalkman magic firmware!

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 5,314
To add to the above post it should maybe be mentioned that small additives of volume amounts via firmware seem to add big differences when using full-size headphones.

The added robustness seems to be a big deal with full-size, like the new sound signature is filling out the full-size headphone. This must be a quality either not needed or not listened for as much with the Walkman players and IEMs?

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 5,314
I’ll use the Z7M2 and MDR-Z1R. Using the 1AM2 now and it shines on the 1A

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #19 of 5,314
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #21 of 5,314
After peeking into some of the firmware related threads about the 1A for months I finally pulled the trigger and bought one from another headfi member tonight! I’m just wondering if I have any issues with a diminished battery, can that be replaced by sending it to Sony? How much does that cost, if it is possible?

The time played shows 00383:13. Is that not a lot of usage relative to battery capacity? I don’t have the unit yet to test battery life but just want to prepare myself in case I do need a new battery.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #22 of 5,314
After peeking into some of the firmware related threads about the 1A for months I finally pulled the trigger and bought one from another headfi member tonight! I’m just wondering if I have any issues with a diminished battery, can that be replaced by sending it to Sony? How much does that cost, if it is possible?

The time played shows 00383:13. Is that not a lot of usage relative to battery capacity? I don’t have the unit yet to test battery life but just want to prepare myself in case I do need a new battery.

Welcome!
Congratulations!

I’m not sure there has ever been ANYONE in our history needing to replace a battery. One member has 3000 hours another over 6000 hours. That’s more than the recommendation of 1000 charge cycles.

If ever you question your battery life do a reset. This is normally done (once) maybe every two years or more. It is a process to fix the battery memory. You let the player go to zero battery, after you have disabled the battery saver button (that only lets the player charge to 90%)...then you keep trying to wake it up. After three tries it will not have any power in the battery at all. You then go for a full uninterrupted charge.

I looked into getting a battery replacement one time just out of curiosity. Sony service center can do it. It may be $100, though I’m not sure? People will though regularly get a new battery put in out of simple completeness when getting a firmware mod done. You can buy the battery directly from Sony Service if you want a back up.

Cheers.

Also set your battery saver back on after your done with the reset. It’s not a good idea to leave the player always charging at 100% or doing the reset often. I have yet to read of someone needing to replace a battery here?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 5,314
371581FD-088B-42AF-AAF8-21094F9C2CD3.jpeg

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #24 of 5,314
Any reason I shouldn't use a usb a to usb c converter so I can charge the wm1a using a usb c power charger?

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 5,314
subscribed , the old thread was epic but i am sure this one will reach epic levels in due time

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #26 of 5,314
can i play ALAC files in my wm1a or do i need to convert them to FLAC ?

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #27 of 5,314
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #29 of 5,314
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier. I have put the new firmware on my zx-300. Do I need to reinstall it to change the region code to "J" or can I just change it now?
Thanks everyone.
You can set region before or after installing the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back