The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,876 of 5,315
What I anticipate for the WM1A/Z Gen 2 is;
  • Android
  • Streaming features
  • Increased power output
  • Competitive battery runtime, not extended, potentially less than the current models
  • USB C (given)
  • Latest Bluetooth & LDAC Codecs
  • Little smaller
  • Little lighter
  • Similar or slightly raised pricing
  • Same SW/HW nonsense between the 1A & 1Z
Q-6
Yeah, I think that's a good prediction. I'd put my money on yours specs or something like them.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,878 of 5,315
....and because it's Android, no custom firmware to cure that, of course.
Yes and no as custom ROM's for Android are possible, equally the right people with the right skill sets need to be motivated to doing so. The problem being is that dedicated DAP's are far less common today which clearly reduces the likelihood of a specific custom ROM.

Q-6

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,879 of 5,315
wm1a hits all the sweet spots for me , so fu.ck wm1a (android version)

hell , if i have money i might as well buy wm1z version 1

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,880 of 5,315
Guys, I also don't like android, but from Sony point of view they have Linux based 6 years old device with plenty of funs but still thousand of people who would like to have streaming, wi-fi and F*S search in 2021 so they have 2 ways:
- Create their own Linux based OS, develop and maintain their own streaming apps, ask AM, Tidal, and so on about API and etc
- Go with Android that quite popular

So I think that blaming not even a confirmed device without any information about sound signature and other characteristics is not the brightest idea. In addition, it's Sony - they know how to support and maintain OS even if it's android. I am really excited to hear about increasing output power ( I missed it in WM1A), humane weight for Z version, the possibility to use a smartphone as remote controller. And mb type-c instead of WM cuz all that adapters for the crazy price is ridiculous in 2021. For instance, WM to Micro(jeez)-USB adapter for over 100 $....

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,881 of 5,315
Yes and no as custom ROM's for Android are possible, equally the right people with the right skill sets need to be motivated to doing so. The problem being is that dedicated DAP's are far less common today which clearly reduces the likelihood of a specific custom ROM.

Q-6
You can do custom ROMs for Android as long as the boot loader is not locked and can't be unlocked.

I used to run custom ROM's when I had Android phones.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #1,882 of 5,315

Q-6
Last time I followed Ibasso DX160 thread there's Lurker's mod for DX160 which has Mango mode whereby it supposedly bypass/mimimize interaction with Android, so yes, right person with the skill set with the correct motivation might do the trick.

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,883 of 5,315
I bet the UK version this dap will have that annoying volume cap installed. It’s on the zx507 and no one has found a way to remove it

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,884 of 5,315
That could be a deal breaker for many!
I bet the UK version this dap will have that annoying volume cap installed. It’s on the zx507 and no one has found a way to remove it

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #1,885 of 5,315
That could be a deal breaker for many!
Yeah uk versions of zx507 are constantly for sale on eBay. Nothing to do with the sound. It’s the volume cap and the awful battery life

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #1,886 of 5,315
just get a Japan version , i live in EU as you but bought a mint Japan version

there.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #1,887 of 5,315
just get a Japan version , i live in EU as you but bought a mint Japan version

there.
lol i did the same with my wm1a and wm1z.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,888 of 5,315
The ability to custom ROM/mod will be the major factor in my decision whether to buy/not buy this - I don't know if we would be so enthused about this update if we didn't have CFW - I certainly wouldn't have bought a WM1A without it as in general never been a huge fan of Sony's DAP tuning.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,889 of 5,315
Wasn't the whole volume cap thing was an EU ruling?
And since Brexit happened, not sure if that's still a requirement here anymore or not?

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #1,890 of 5,315
Wasn't the whole volume cap thing was an EU ruling?
And since Brexit happened, not sure if that's still a requirement here anymore or not?
Yes it is an EU rule so UK could/might get rid of it but I don’t think they have yet, most if not all EU rules are still in place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back