The Console Wars: Cast your vote and share your predictions
May 29, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #136 of 146
With all the news about the Wii popping up, I am somwhat tempted to jump ship- for one, I can't possibly say I like the Neo Geo-like price of the PS3, despite its two or more major games that I'm sold on already (which means I'll still have one, but way down the line cause I don't like getting gouged).

The claimed ability to be compatible with Gamecube titles and controllers may have me sold; instead of having to buy a Gamecube when I feel I want to play the titles that spark my interest, I could potentially get a Wii instead, and treat it like a PS2 of sorts, but more sophisticated, and potentially gobs funner thanks to its native controls, as well as the one that looks like an SNES control with dual sticks.

I don't know if I'd necessarily be a fan of any "pay to play" game downloading services since I'm already neck deep in emulators, but who knows?
At this point, the Wii is looking far more impressive at its price point than that of the PS3. If the PS3 really wants to win me over, why doesn't Sony include some sort of on-TV internet browser or I dunno, for that price tag a freaking OS(stripped even)? If by the time the PS3 comes out, I can get a Mac Mini that has the works, why not have a game console for the same price have at least a few aces up its sleeve that make it worth that much money?

Considering how the PSP was cracked, I'd like to see the PS3 meet the same fate if I want to invest in it- I want the console to be able to as much as I feel it should for the price Sony is asking for. At present, the XBox does this, but the PS3 has vast potential, yet is overseen by a company that may end up crippling it, since as of late Sony has been up to things of that nature (DRM and RootKits are perhaps the best example of this). They should try and embrace the process for once, instead of shunning it and being overprotective of their own console's vast, vast potential.

All IMHO of course, and no flames intended.

600smile.gif
Abe

May 29, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #137 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24

As for the price, I'm guessing the Wii will launch somewhere closer to the $2oo dollar mark than $250. Maybe $230 might be the magic number.

Catch you later,
Id

230 is closer to 250
tongue.gif

May 29, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #138 of 146
Hey man, I said maybe $230 haha!
biggrin.gif
For what it's worth though, even 249.99 could be considered under $250, so I guess we'll just wait and see. I really want to play that Mario Galaxy game though. Twilight Princess on Wii was pretty cool too, you use the controller like a real fishing rod even using the nunchaku to pantomime "reeling" in the fish.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #139 of 146
i voted too dificult to tell, BUT i do know that it will not be the nintendo system.

in their attempts to make the system "serve everyone" the system will loose some functionality to the users who would use it regardless if they were the only person on the face of the earth that understood how to load a game and acces it out of 9X10^95 memory locations... for these users, missing features will constitute a LARGE problem. these guys write the reviews, and most people who would not use the "harder version" would not use the "dumbed down one" anyways.

the other 2 are staying purer gaming systems, and thus keeping the core users better satisfyed.

Jun 30, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #140 of 146
<thread: revived>

I've decided that I'll buy a Wii when it comes out for sure. The PS3 can wait until whatever special edition for MGS4 comes out, which would happen about two years after it is released most likely, and at the same time prices should drop by then to something more affordable. This will also be the first time I try to max the system right when I get it- I want to have all the control ports realized, with at least one or two Wavebirds to go with the Wii remotes. I may also get another 2GB card if the thing ends up supporting SD memory. If not, oh well.

If the thing could play DVD's and CD's(MP3's too, please
smily_headphones1.gif
) out of the box, I'd be sold right there. I don't see why it shouldn't be able to, I mean the system comes with a remote for cryin' out loud
tongue.gif
After seeing footage of the system in play, I'd like to try that for a change, especially online if it's not too much trouble. Also, by the time it comes out, I could very easily get all the good Gamecube games I want and call it good. I maximized the play I could get out of my PS2 with my PS1 library and backup data, so I will do the same with the next system I get. Here's to Nintendo keeping prices on everything low come release day
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif
Abe

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #142 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Waiting outside in a line for 12+ hours isn't on the top of my fun things to do list.

Same here. I'd rather wait in a line at the DMV. At least it ain't no 12 hours in one of those LOL
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I didn't wait in any horrendous lines when I got my PS2. Lucky me (cause my damn console was dead within 6 months to a year).

600smile.gif
Abe

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #143 of 146
Well, I got a bonus from the job and decide to pick up a 360. Graphics wise - for "next gen", I'm not impressed. With Oblivion, Top Spin 2, and Hitman under my belt, I can say with confidence, that this is stuff I've seen on the pc circa two years ago.

The thing has already freezed several times (picked up the extended warranty because of the already shoddy build rep). Basically, you get a slow pc for your t.v.

On the plus side, Live is awesome and easy, and Oblivion is addicting. Other than that, as my first new console since the PS2 way back when, which I quickly sold, PC is still where it's at IMO.

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #144 of 146
I havent had a nintendo console since the snes, but my gut says that the Wii will be something different. If the new DS Lite is anything to go by, I think that Nintendo might actually have a chance with the Wii. The DS Lite is very nice and the games I've played so far are a nice return to cute/fun gaming for me. That said, I'm sure that the PS3 will be impressive enough that I'll have one of them before too long :-\.

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #145 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Well, I got a bonus from the job and decide to pick up a 360. Graphics wise - for "next gen", I'm not impressed. With Oblivion, Top Spin 2, and Hitman under my belt, I can say with confidence, that this is stuff I've seen on the pc circa two years ago.

The thing has already freezed several times (picked up the extended warranty because of the already shoddy build rep). Basically, you get a slow pc for your t.v.

On the plus side, Live is awesome and easy, and Oblivion is addicting. Other than that, as my first new console since the PS2 way back when, which I quickly sold, PC is still where it's at IMO.

Well, you picked particularly bad games to show off the Xbox 360's graphical power. The Hitman series has always had poor graphics, and Oblivion suffers heavily from the usual crappy Bethsada animation/physics. As for freezing, I've had it happen alot in Oblivion, but never seen it anywhere else. YMMV though.

GRAW, Fight Night, and Kameo are better examples of the Xbox 360's graphical capabilities. As for ports, Call of Duty 2 is as good on the Xbox 360 as it was on my PC (w/7800GT); Quake 4 also looks great, but suffers from mild FR issues. And of course, there are the upcoming Unreal 3 based games which graphically blow away any game that's out or coming out in the near future, PC or console.

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #146 of 146
I just feel like I have to bump this thread because of how excited I am about the Wii. First off, it will be able to play DVDs if you buy a hardware attachment. Also, it will have the Opera browser loaded into its memory! I'm assuming that this means a keyboard will be available. I tell you, add a word processing program (it's already going to have USB ports, so you could hook up a printer) and the Wii would not only be a gaming console (completely backward-compatible with GameCube games and controllers) and DVD player, but would replace the non-gamer's computer, and at a price of less than $250? Plus, the Wii will have component video out, which should look great.

I haven't really kept up with consoles for the past few years; I have an N64 and an SNES. What turns me off about the latest consoles the most is the complexity of the controllers - they pretty much lost me when the second analog sticks appeared. There's something about the old N64 and SNES controllers that just makes these newer controllers unacceptable. The simplicity of the Wii is just what the doctor ordered, in my case.

I do have my skepticism about the controller for certain purposes, though. It depends on how they implement it; if a tennis sim is being played, will a small, casual flick of the wrist be accepted as a swing, or will the player be forced to stand up and follow through with all their might?

Anyway, for all the functionality you'll get at a price that's not even twice that of the phenomenal DS Lite, I'll be getting one for sure. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible for the $500/600 PS3 to sell better than a $250 (max) Wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back