The Compass Thread (New)
Sep 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #916 of 981

Quote:
Most likely all your issues are with the settings in Windows Ctrol panel and the ASUS SW.

Which was where I was going with my questions.

If your Compass works with your PS3, then you have troubleshot the Compass

Get it working and quit messing with it's settings...

Hook up to the PC

Then start troubleshooting the PC settings.

Start with something simple, ie media player(not Foobar), playing a MP3 in repeat mode.

Then start fooling around with your settings in any ASUS SW and the control panel applet.

This is a common issue.

Main thing, get the Compass settings worked out to make music with COAX IN first and don't change it's settings when you transfer it to the PC.

If you have a Vulcan in your neighborhood, consult him, it's all Logic you know...

yea u were rite .. i am pretty bad at this .. was setting up this the entire night and couldnt get anything rite and was pretty frustrated .. it just seems to me everything was set the way i wanted and should work as it goes ... and neglecting the basics of trouble shooting

anyway .. really ! allow me to thanks u guys once again !

Taking ur initiative , time and patience in helping others out in a forum .. nothing was as helpful outside of this forum from my time i troubleshooted ..

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #917 of 981
I'm having issues with a feedback/buzzing sound coming from my compass when I use IEM headphones, specifically my SE420's

Audio-gd isn't much help with this issue. They want me to send the whole unit back to china, which not only leaves me with no music but costs quite a pretty penny, especially once you consider the original cost of the unit. Here is an excerpt of an email I sent them explaining the isolation tests I have conducted to determine the issue.

Causes Buzzing:
  1. Placing unit in any location. Buzzing not from external RF noise
  2. Using "S" Super mode
  3. Earth HDAM
  4. Moon HDAM
  5. No HDAM
  6. Increasing gain makes buzzing slightly louder
  7. USB, COAX, and OPT produce buzzing
  8. Using no input produces buzzing
  9. Buzzing heard with sensitive headphones like Sure SE420 (In ear headphones)
  10. Different power cords

Does not cause buzzing:
  1. Unit turned off
  2. switching unit to Pre-Amp only mode (not using DAC)

Any ideas people? Sorry it's an old thread... I started a new one and got absolutely no replies.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #918 of 981
Did you buy the Compass new?  Or used?

Has it suddenly changed behavior?

Did it work fine and then start buzzing?

In the other thread you mentioned running it with the HDAM out?  Is that true?

Are you sure you didn't put the HDAM in backward?

Who did you buy the Compass from?

Does it buzz with Headphones?

What is the impedance of the IEMs?

Could you have possibly dripped Fruit Juice in the case while it was running?

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #919 of 981
When did the buzzing begin?  Pictures of the DAC section may be a good idea if possible.  You didn't drip any fluids into the unit, right?

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #920 of 981

Quote:
Did you buy the Compass new?  Or used?
Brand new

Has it suddenly changed behavior?
I really can't say... the problem is that I haven't been using these headphones with it prior to now.

Did it work fine and then start buzzing?
I never noticed the buzzing before, though as long as I can recall I only ever used my K701's with the amp. They don't buzz.

In the other thread you mentioned running it with the HDAM out?  Is that true?
I did this to test if the HDAM caused the buzzing because I noticed it started after I put the moon HDAM in. I have used the moon before however, and it just so happened I started using these IEM's right when I put the moon in. Too many variables to be sure. I never actually tried to listen to music like that though, and the buzzing did not get worse or start after I did this.

Are you sure you didn't put the HDAM in backward?
Yes. I make extra sure never to put them in backward.

Who did you buy the Compass from?
Kingwa or however his name is pronounced. I bought it straight from Augio-GD.

Does it buzz with Headphones?
I don't have my headphones with me now, but I've used them extensively without noticing anything. If I had to make an educated guess I would say no.

What is the impedance of the IEMs?
The SE420's are rated at 22 Ω. The K701 is rated at 62 Ω. Perhaps the compass simply isn't a high enough grade component for 22 Ω headphones. It looks like sure made the SE425 at around 37Ω so its possible these headphones are unfairly sensitive (I don't have any noise issues though if I run it out of my computer however).

Could you have possibly dripped Fruit Juice in the case while it was running?
Absolutely nothing has dripped into the case. I can't take a picture right now but I can later if people really don't believe that the electronics are intact.

Thanks for the help.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #921 of 981
I would say those are pretty low impedance IEMs.  If they are high sensitivity as well, that would explain everything most likely.

Do you have to have the volume very low to use them?

If the Compass works with Headphones, I would say it is working.

None of this has anything to do with the quality of the Compass, it is well established as being high quality.   There is no question of that.

It's gain may be way too much for low impedance IEMs.

The juice thing was a joke related to your username...

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #922 of 981
He should be hearing hiss, not buzzing with those IEMs.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #923 of 981
Yeah, I really don't think it should be a buzzing noise. I can get regular noise when the gain is turned up, but these headphones also produce this buzzing noise that I really can't dismiss as normal. It doesn't help that audio g-d seems to be completely ignoring me, probably because I challenged the idea that I needed to send the whole unit at my expense back to china for them to diagnose the problem. Maybe that's necessary, but for the price of the compass I'd rather just cut my losses.

Also, sorry I didn't catch that joke. I get it now :) 

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #924 of 981
It sounds like it works fine with headphones.  That question needs to be answered first.  If it works with headphones, then it would seem to be an incompatibility with your IEMs.  I never used mine with IEMs. 

Maybe you can source some cans from someone and see how it does.

When did it work right?

For how long?

Does it work with those cans it used to work with?

The question is whether there is a change or if it is functioning as before, and it was never compatible with these IEMs?

Quote:
Yeah, I really don't think it should be a buzzing noise. I can get regular noise when the gain is turned up, but these headphones also produce this buzzing noise that I really can't dismiss as normal. It doesn't help that audio g-d seems to be completely ignoring me, probably because I challenged the idea that I needed to send the whole unit at my expense back to china for them to diagnose the problem. Maybe that's necessary, but for the price of the compass I'd rather just cut my losses.

Also, sorry I didn't catch that joke. I get it now :) 

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #925 of 981
I used my friend's bose headphones and just got noise when I boosted up the gain. This leads me to believe it will work with the K701's, though I can't check until next week. It might just not work with the SE420 IEMs, but thats quite disappointing since they work fine with iPods and computer headphone jacks. The feeling I have is that the Compass is producing noise (buzzing) that it should not, but most headphones aren't sensitive enough to pick up this sound. In my mind that doesn't mean the IEMs are incompatible, that means the Compass is not functioning as it should (and detecting its malfunction requires highly sensitive equipment, the SE420s).

Edit: As for when did it work, I do not know. I started using the SE420's about two weeks ago and have had the problem since then. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #926 of 981
You're making this hard to understand.

I think you don't understand much about troubleshooting.

Comparing an iPod to the Compass is ludicrous.

The iPod can't run full range, full side headphones real well.  IEMs are designed for the iPod.  They are designed to be highly sensitive so they don't require much of an amp to drive them, for the most part in a generalization type of way.

I'm attempting to elicit a history of your problem?  You're not making it easy...

Most Computer jacks are pretty low power as well.  They are just a little opamps, not a full blown amp circuit, like the Compass.

I don't believe you bought a brand new Compass from A-GD 2 weeks ago, did you?

That means you have had the Compass for a while.

Tell us the purchase date,  what you used it with, for how long, etc.  Divulge the whole sorted story, we want to hear it!

When you say you hooked up Bose to it and boosted the gain up, what does that mean???

Clarify, is it buzzing, or hissing.  Is it only doing it at high volume?  ETC  ETC

I have a set of Denon D5000s.  If I run them thru my DV-337SE with no music and turn the volume up to 12:00, they buzz.  But listening to Music, They are very loud at 9:00.  There's no way you could listen to them at 12:00.  The buzzing comes from the fact that they are low impedance and the amp is Output transformerless.  It makes no difference because I don't listen to them with no input at 12:00.  I use this just as an example, not saying this is your problem.  It's not really a buzz, it's a hum...

Hook up some decent headphones, play some music and tell us what's going on.

There is something you are not telling us here.

Draw out the whole history here.

All you are telling us is that you hooked up IEMs 2 weeks ago and have a "buzz".  What happened up to then.

If you don't tell us, we don't know...

Take your time and draft a complete response offline and then post it.  Pay attention to buzz, hum, hiss, right channel, left channel, both channels.  Levels, and can you listen to music with the IEM?  

If you have a US phone number or Skype, I would be glad to help you interactively...  You can send all that PM if you so desire.

Quote:
I used my friend's bose headphones and just got noise when I boosted up the gain. This leads me to believe it will work with the K701's, though I can't check until next week. It might just not work with the SE420 IEMs, but thats quite disappointing since they work fine with iPods and computer headphone jacks. The feeling I have is that the Compass is producing noise (buzzing) that it should not, but most headphones aren't sensitive enough to pick up this sound. In my mind that doesn't mean the IEMs are incompatible, that means the Compass is not functioning as it should (and detecting its malfunction requires highly sensitive equipment, the SE420s).

Edit: As for when did it work, I do not know. I started using the SE420's about two weeks ago and have had the problem since then. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #927 of 981
"boosted up the gain" = switched to high gain

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #929 of 981
Oh ho, Bose doesn't publish specs on their stuff, lol.  I could be wrong and they changed that recently, but yeah.  They are low impedance with moderate spl, don't know how much, and easily powered by any ipod.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #930 of 981

Les_Garten,

I apologize for confusing you with my previous posts. I will attempt to address your questions as systematically and thoroughly as possible in the hope that we might be able to determine the nature of the issue I am having with the Compass (Audio-GD is not replying to me anymore).

I understand an iPod can't power full size headphones well, or really at all. I also understand IEM's are designed for a low output device like an iPod and do not need much to drive them. When I use the Compass to drive the IEM's I leave the VOLUME control at about 8:30 (if you were looking at a clock). I compared the Compass to the iPod and computer because both are not high end audio equipment and both do a better job reproducing music with the SE420's. The Compass, in my mind, should not produce any humming or buzzing no matter what headphones are used, if they are used at listening volume.

You are correct that I did not buy a new Compass two weeks ago. I am fairly certain the model was discontinued a few months back. I paid for my compass March 30th, 2009. It probably arrived a few weeks later.

When the Compass arrived I used it almost exclusively with my AKG K701 headphones. The Compass was always set to the lower of the gain options. I could never get the optical setting to work with the Compass, so I use the USB from my computer to deliver the digital signal.

Here's an important part. I believe I used the SE420 IEMs with the compass at some point. I do not remember hearing the buzzing I hear now, though I might have just never noticed it since music drowns it out at normal listening volumes. I am to uncertain to say whether I heard it or not.

As I state before, I had to send in the balanced to 1/4th inch connector I use with my balanced 701s, and thus, have been using the SE420 IEM's with the compass for the past nearly three weeks. I noticed the buzzing the first time I listened to music with the Compass.

Allow me to clarify what the buzzing sounds like. The buzzing noise is just that, buzzing (or maybe a hum, I really don't understand there to be a difference between the two). Not static, not hissing, not noise. It is a buzzing that sounds like a medium frequency sound at a constant pitch. It is not piercing or low, but in the medium range of noises. It sounds like there may be an emphasis on the left channel of audio, but both channels have some buzzing. It is difficult to determine if one is louder than the other.

Does this noise only occur at high volume? NO. As I have tried to explain before it occurs at ALL volumes, regardless of the gain setting and regardless of whether the VOLUME is turned up. It does appear to become slightly amplified when the volume is turned up, but never rises above an annoying whisper (still clearly audible, but not amplified like music).

The Bose headphones I used I can't really tell you much about. They were just over the ear Bose nonsense that my roommate uses.  What I can tell you is that when I cranked the gain or volume or whatever it is called, the Bose produced a nice static hiss. The same static hiss you get with all headphones when the gain is increased. The Bose headphones raised the noise floor much higher than the K701's at the Compass's maximum volume however. They also raised the noise floor higher than the SE420's at the Compass's maximum volume. The Bose did not however reproduce the buzzing of the SE420's.

I also used a no-name cheap pair of Sony earbuds I listen to when I go to bed, and they produced the buzzing/hum that the SE420's experience when plugged into the Compass. The buzz/hum was at a much lower level than with the SE420's however.

Can I listen to music? Yes I certainly can listen to music. Can I enjoy music? That really depends. I ran across this browsing Head-Fi a few days ago. I apologize to the author for not remembering her name.

Quote:
Silence has been a fundamental building block of classical music composition for over hundred years. And pauses all have well defined lengths for a much longer time. The silence of a pause intends to present a different perspective to the just heard as it decays in the acoustic short term memory and generally throws back the listener's attention at himself.

The Compass buzz/hum completely destroys this experience and makes any music that employs silence un-enjoyable. The hum is still there with louder music, but difficult to detect because it is a much lower volume.

As I said before, I have taken extreme caution with the Compass and have never damaged it in any way.

Here is my laundry list of circumstances that produce the Buzzing/Hum:
[size=10.0pt]Causes Buzzing:[/size]
  1. [size=10.0pt]Placing unit in any location. Buzzing not from external RF noise[/size]
  2. [size=10.0pt]Using "S" Super mode[/size]
  3. [size=10.0pt]Earth HDAM[/size]
  4. [size=10.0pt]Moon HDAM[/size]
  5. [size=10.0pt]No HDAM[/size]
  6. [size=10.0pt]Increasing gain makes buzzing slightly louder[/size]
  7. [size=10.0pt]USB, COAX, and OPT produce buzzing[/size]
  8. [size=10.0pt]Using no input produces buzzing[/size]
  9. [size=10.0pt]Buzzing heard with sensitive headphones like Sure SE420 (In ear headphones)[/size]
  10. [size=10.0pt]Different power cords[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Does not cause buzzing:[/size]
  1. [size=10.0pt]Unit turned off[/size]
  2. [size=10.0pt]switching unit to Pre-Amp only mode (not using DAC[/size]

Regards,
Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back