The Compass Thread (New)
Jul 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #901 of 981
LOL

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #902 of 981
Those of you using the DAC out, Line-in, or Preamp out a lot with the Compass, what is the condition of your jacks?

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #903 of 981
hey guys just bought a audio-gd compass today but cant get any sound output out of it !

i am using [size=100%]asus[/size] xonar essence stx coaxial out from the spdif port to coaxial in of my audio-gd compass dac -> den output from the dac out -> warfadale subwoofer line out-> aktimate mini speakers ...

am i doing anything wrong here ? i also enabled the super button but still no sound

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #904 of 981

Quote:
hey guys just bought a audio-gd compass today but cant get any sound output out of it !

i am using [size=100%]asus[/size] xonar essence stx coaxial out from the spdif port to coaxial in of my audio-gd compass dac -> den output from the dac out -> warfadale subwoofer line out-> aktimate mini speakers ...

am i doing anything wrong here ? i also enabled the super button but still no sound

1)  You sure it works?
2) What is the source for the SPDIF?
3) If it's a Computer, make sure the Sound Control Panel is set to Digital Out as default playback device
4) Make your system as simple as possible for troubleshooting

Like get a CD player with SPDIF out and a pair of headphones or earpiece.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #906 of 981
This harkens to one of the things I would like to see on A-GD's gear.  Some type of link indicator(LED) when digital has syn'd up.  Even better would be the rate that has sync'd.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #908 of 981
You did press in the button with the S in a square, right? (Super mode button)
Then you can use the DAC output to your speakers as you mentioned.

If you want to use the preamp out, you have to have the S button unpressed and the preamp switch in the back toggled.  The S switch is pushed in, then the preamp out signal comes from whatever is hooked up into the line-in.  The DAC output signal gets canceled, I think.

How are you outputting the coaxial signal to the Compass, as far as software?  Are you sure you are using the output coaxial port and not the input if it has both?  Also make sure you have the digital input selector knob in the correct position when using one of the digital inputs.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #909 of 981

Quote:
in fact i could even see red led flashing out from the coaxial port of my sound card ... sigh .. anyone have more ideas ?

Make sure that Digital out in Windows control panel is set as default.  I would say this gives people the most problem. 

Like I said before, do you have something with a known working digital out?  Like a DVD or CD player?  The computer complicates this a lot.

Just because the Red LED is lit on the output does not mean it is passing an active data stream, get it?

You could start by answering the questions I posed above earlier.

Get your setup as simple as possible.  AS MENTIONED

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #910 of 981
hi guys again .. optical out from my ps3 was also working fine ..so i should narrow down to my asus xonar essence stx and the dacs coaxial in .. probably something to do with drivers ? or maybe software .. the volume was also controlled by my speaker and not my dac ... is that how it suppose to work ?

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #911 of 981
DAC out has no volume control.  Preamp out uses the Compass for volume control.

What are your options under Playback Devices?
You can reach that panel by second clicking the speaker icon in your taskbar and selecting Playback Devices or go Start > Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices tab.  If Control Panel is not in your Start menu, then go Start > Computer and at the top there is Open Control Panel.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #912 of 981
ok here are the options

speakers - asus xonar essence stx audio device

Digital output - asus xonar essence stx audio device

Realtek HDMI output

Speakers - High definition audio device

Headphones

Digital audio(SPDI/F out) - High definition audio device

Speakers - USB audio device

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #913 of 981
Most likely all your issues are with the settings in Windows Ctrol panel and the ASUS SW.

Which was where I was going with my questions.

If your Compass works with your PS3, then you have troubleshot the Compass

Get it working and quit messing with it's settings...

Hook up to the PC

Then start troubleshooting the PC settings.

Start with something simple, ie media player(not Foobar), playing a MP3 in repeat mode.

Then start fooling around with your settings in any ASUS SW and the control panel applet.

This is a common issue.

Main thing, get the Compass settings worked out to make music with COAX IN first and don't change it's settings when you transfer it to the PC.

If you have a Vulcan in your neighborhood, consult him, it's all Logic you know...

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #914 of 981
Alright ! problem solved!! the solution was rather simple ... everything of the set up was correct .. in asus xonar centre all i did tick the spdif check box and volia

guys thank for all ur support and prompt replys

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #915 of 981
Enjoy your music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back