The Compass Thread (New)
Oct 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #601 of 981
using optical from my PC, my zero dac and previous compass work fine on this setup.
tried different HDAM still the same, preamp out or headamp problem still occur intermittently around 5-10min after power up

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #603 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like power-cycling problem. Have you tried connecting it to a different wall outlet?

just tried that,
now don't have to wait 5-10min anymore
after powering up the compass, it will stream music for 1sec and stop playing anything.
before the dac stop working, i can hear a click sound like from a relay..
look like im the only 1 who received a DOA unit here...

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #604 of 981
My entry-level power conditioner makes a big difference on the compass too, I'd say maybe 3x bigger than the audio-gd power cable. If there's a drawback with my power conditioner it is that the sound signature is somewhat like the sun hdam, more lively but may be too much depending on your tastes. I couldn't listen to sun+power conditioner because it was too much hyperactivity.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #605 of 981
I am also interested in the Compass and I want to use it with my HD650 and my Westone UM2 IEM.
While the HD650 have 300 ohm impedance, the UM2 have only 27 ohms.

My question is with what gain should I order the Compass, because I have read that the Compass can be customized with different gain setting before shipping.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #606 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My entry-level power conditioner makes a big difference on the compass too, I'd say maybe 3x bigger than the audio-gd power cable. If there's a drawback with my power conditioner it is that the sound signature is somewhat like the sun hdam, more lively but may be too much depending on your tastes. I couldn't listen to sun+power conditioner because it was too much hyperactivity.

What brand is that if I may ask, haloxt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPaul86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also interested in the Compass and I want to use it with my HD650 and my Westone UM2 IEM.
While the HD650 have 300 ohm impedance, the UM2 have only 27 ohms.

My question is with what gain should I order the Compass, because I have read that the Compass can be customized with different gain setting before shipping.

IIRC, the revised Compasses come with a gain of 7 at low-gain to 9 at hi-gain. Someone correct me please if I am mistaken.
biggrin.gif

The Compass should do well with the HD650. Seems the MOON HDAM and Bright setting do wonder with this combination. OTOH, I don't like it very much with my IEMs because the Compass does not exactly excel in blackness. There is some sound coming out even at a volume level of zero. This is not a problem with full-sized cans but with sensitive IEMs, it is kinda annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_aquarii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just tried that,
now don't have to wait 5-10min anymore
after powering up the compass, it will stream music for 1sec and stop playing anything.
before the dac stop working, i can hear a click sound like from a relay..
look like im the only 1 who received a DOA unit here...

That click sound is familiar with my Zero. The signal is not locking properly I think. Can you try connecting using the different input options (USB, Coaxial and even RCA if possible) and report back to us?

Also if you haven't, E-mail Kingwa about your problems.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #608 of 981
Quote:

IIRC, the revised Compasses come with a gain of 7 at low-gain to 9 at hi-gain. Someone correct me please if I am mistaken.
biggrin.gif

The Compass should do well with the HD650. Seems the MOON HDAM and Bright setting do wonder with this combination. OTOH, I don't like it very much with my IEMs because the Compass does not exactly excel in blackness. There is some sound coming out even at a volume level of zero. This is not a problem with full-sized cans but with sensitive IEMs, it is kinda annoying.

I just received an answer to my question after only 4 minutes(!):

Quote:

Dear Paul,
Compass already have two gain, one is 6DB, the other is 13DB.

Kingwa

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #609 of 981
K3cT, it's a Furman AC-215. They don't sell very well and I managed to get it really cheap on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif
only real complaint I have about it is it has 2 outlets and I have to daisy-chain power outlets for more.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #611 of 981
Quote:

Yeah, he replies very fast but he seems to be bogged down with orders at the moment.

My bad, it appears that I remembered wrongly about the gain settings.

Hmm, not according to the second part of his email
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

After you make the payment, send me a email include your Add and Tel.

We will ship within 3 days, DHL can arrive 3-5 workdays.

Kingwa

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #612 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K3cT, it's a Furman AC-215. They don't sell very well and I managed to get it really cheap on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif
only real complaint I have about it is it has 2 outlets and I have to daisy-chain power outlets for more.

The problem is I live in Asia so I would need a step-down transformer. Would this affect the signals in a bad way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPaul86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, not according to the second part of his email
smily_headphones1.gif

Lucky guy. It took a while to finalize my HDAM orders last week.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #613 of 981
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but only because i am at work right now and don't have a TAN handy.
smily_headphones1.gif

But that will change as soon I am at home.

I am still astonished that I am going to spent more on the dac/amp than on the headphone itself.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #615 of 981
Quote:

I may have to order the Moon HDAM. Right now, the Earth with the HD650s is sounding a bit grainy/etchy with cymbals, high hats, and other higher frequencies. Vocals do not sound sibilant though. It just seems to be mostly cymbals that sound a bit annoying to my ears. I don't have this problem with my DT770s. The 650s are just much more revealing headphones.

Has anyone else experienced this character with cymbals on the Compass and 650s? It's the main thing that has me considering ditching this combo, because my ears have a hard time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back