The Compass Thread (New)
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #302 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just got my Compass a few days ago. I'm wondering, which jumper settings are you guys using, if any? I put both channels on neutral and am wondering if there's a general consensus as to which jumper setting sounds best.

That will be different for every HDAM, person and headphone. What headphones and HDAM are you using with it?

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #303 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will be different for every HDAM, person and headphone. What headphones and HDAM are you using with it?

Using Earth and Senn HD650s.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #304 of 981
Quote:

Using Earth and Senn HD650s.

I have the Earth HDAM too and I use the Bright setting with the 650s and the Soft1 setting with the AKG701. But it's your taste/ears so you have to decide for yourself. Some (most?) seem to use Neutral with the 650s.

One thing that I once asked and that no one answered is which of the settings that provides the most direct path (with the theory that the less components involved in the signal path the better). I assume one of the settings is unfiltered and the other three does some kind of treble frequenzy filtering.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #305 of 981
one thing that would be fantastic if there's ever a MKII version of the Compass;

An external knob for switching between the different frequenzy settings. If you, like me, switch between AKG701 and Sennheiser HD650 it is a bit messy to have to open it to move the jumpers. It's of course fantastic that the possibility exists at all, but it would be even better to have it accessible from the outside.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #306 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Earth HDAM too and I use the Bright setting with the 650s and the Soft1 setting with the AKG701. But it's your taste/ears so you have to decide for yourself. Some (most?) seem to use Neutral with the 650s.

One thing that I once asked and that no one answered is which of the settings that provides the most direct path (with the theory that the less components involved in the signal path the better). I assume one of the settings is unfiltered and the other three does some kind of treble frequenzy filtering.

I was under the impression that the most direct signal was bright and that each time a jumper was added that the extra resistance of the jumper altered the sound or something along those lines, but I may be wrong.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #308 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that the most direct signal was bright and that each time a jumper was added that the extra resistance of the jumper altered the sound or something along those lines, but I may be wrong.

That's my theory too, but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #309 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm that's interesting. Perhaps the Bright setting is supposed to be the best sounding of them all?

No idea if it is 'supposed' to be, but my ears tell me it is...
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #312 of 981
Quote:

Hrmm, now I feel like taking the jumpers out to try the bright
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I know the answer to this but the burn-in for the compass, is there a burn-in for each jumper setting AND each HDAM?

Yes, each jumper has an alleged burn in time. However, you burn in the jumper, not the setting. Therefore just put all in for the burn in time, and they will all be done, and you can switch between the fully matured sounds as you wish.

-Nkk

PS On an unrelated note, where do you people have your volume knobs? Mine can barely go past 9 o'clock, and that is loud. It lingers at 8:30, or even 8. It is on low gain. I have to go to 7 for high gain. I use the HD555 and AD700. Is this normal?

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #313 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, each jumper has an alleged burn in time.
PS On an unrelated note, where do you people have your volume knobs? Mine can barely go past 9 o'clock, and that is loud. It lingers at 8:30, or even 8. It is on low gain. I have to go to 7 for high gain. I use the HD555 and AD700. Is this normal?

If you have a revision 1 (from start to sometime in june?) The gain is quite high, even on the low setting. With my AD900s, I never go past 8 o'clock on low gain.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #315 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a revision 1 (from start to sometime in june?) The gain is quite high, even on the low setting. With my AD900s, I never go past 8 o'clock on low gain.

I got in 2 days before the promotional price ended, so mine was probably built in June. So, that could be. Is there any way to fix this easily? Other than an impedance adapter?

-Nkk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back