The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #61 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Compass came today.

Aesthetically, it is beautiful.

Sonically, it is gorgeous.

This thing is really built well...heavy, solid, thick metal, fat knobs.

The sound right out of the box is amazing, amazing with the Denon D7000's.

I have a far, far wider soundstage than with the 3Move. And the bass still goes insanely low and hits incredibly hard...but there's more texture and finesse to it.

I might just take off work for a week!

Thanks, Head-Fi for pointing me to it....thanks Kingwa for being an audio artist.

when did you place your order? Cherry originally quoted me that mine would ship on the 10th, 2 weeks from when i paid. Now it has been pushed back till the 21st due to the rush of Compass orders before price increase.
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #62 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when did you place your order? Cherry originally quoted me that mine would ship on the 10th, 2 weeks from when i paid. Now it has been pushed back till the 21st due to the rush of Compass orders before price increase.
frown.gif

Payment via PayPal - May 18.

Arrival via DHS - June 10.

Well worth the wait!

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #63 of 981
Has anyone verified the numbers that Peete found on his own? Peete it's not that I don't trust you, but just curious as the numbers are massive.

Soft Mode 1 - 5Hz (-1db) - 30KHz (-3db)
soft mode 2 - 5Hz (-1db) - 24 KHz (-3db)
soft mode 3 - 5Hz (-1db) - 17 KHz (-3db)
Neutral mode (default setting at time of shipment) 5HZ (-1db) - 60KHz (-3db)

That neutral mode, just WOW! Holycrap and people are talking BS about the headphone Amp section of the Compass right now (people who haven't heard it mind you).

Power Output. Peete's numbers for these are some of the highest I've seen posted for any headphone amp.

150 Ohm load - 600 mW (long term)
250 Ohm load - 350 mW (long term)
300 Ohm load - 300 mW (long term)
600 Ohm load - 150 mW (long term)

For Comparison

Gilmore Lite is stated on the website to be 1 watt at 1 ohm. Compass is 2 Watt at 32 Ohm.

The KICAS on Purity Audio's website maximum output is only 400 mW. MAXIMUM, so if it's for a 300 Ohm or 250 Ohm headphone, I'm guessing it's around 70 or less.

So if people are curious about power of the Compass headphone amp, well it's more twice that of Gilmore Lite and almost four times that of the KICAS.

Does that answer the capability of the Amp to some of you? Can read plenty of reviews about the clarity and detail. Almost all said it's right on par or better than Amps costing more than the Compass, $500 or more. Now I say more because you get a $250 DAC with it in the Price of $330, so that Amp is what, $80? Yeah, I think it's a good deal. You get clarity and detail with incredible power, do you all still think Compass is just a DAC connected to an afterthought Amp?

Good luck to those who ordered and hope enjoy it as much as the rest of us have.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #64 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there has been one in here for a while
wink_face.gif

now I feel a little bad, they got back to me about the promo price and said it's really hard for them to do that price because they don't make a profit
frown.gif
I'm still thinking about it because the idea of a DAC and amp in one is something I really like. The less cable the better

Sent you a PM, you really should read Peete's and Drosera's impressions I linked to you. Also yeah just look at the high quality parts used in the Compass. If it was made by Justin at HeadAmp I have no doubts he would price it over $600 easily. If it was priced by Todd I'm sure he would try to ask $700 for it. And if by Ray Samuel, well it's time just burn some money. Don't let the price of the Compass confuse you over the quality of it. I'm sure if Heed made this, they would ask for far more also, $500+ If they are asking for more than $400 for their tiny amp, only that big cause of the toroidal in the back, what would they ask for a Compass? Hmmm, just the Amp alone... scary.

Please don't worry about this burn in thing. Not everyone believes in it. Yes Compass did sound different to me initially till later, but to me, I think it has to do that I was not used to this level of clarity and detail. I did not use an Amp that had total black silence from lowest volume to highest volume before, it's fun.

Just compare the Heed CanAmp to the Compass. The value of the Compass is just amazing, for parts alone. Never mind the sound.

Heed.jpg
Compass.jpg

Good luck with your search Gatto.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #65 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well worth the wait!

thx dude. I guess they just missquoted me off the bat and underestimated the rush of cheap procrastinators(myself included)to pull the trigger. Im just being a little b!*%&.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #66 of 981
elbuzzard, don't be surprised by the wait now. I know there are other Compass threads in other forums now with batch orders and such. Be patient and I hope it arrives in pristine condition ready for your ears!

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #67 of 981
Yep, I'm in the same boat.

I ordered mine on June 5th, after reading this thread last night I asked them for an ETA and they told me that they wouldn't be able to ship it until the end of the month
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #68 of 981
Yeah sorry to tell you guys, all their products are hand made and they do a thorough testing of 100 hours on their products

It's only 15 dudes making your Compass, Reference 1, Phoenix and all their other products.

Sorry you guys all waiting but that's the reason.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #69 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there has been one in here for a while
wink_face.gif

Damnit, I should pay more attention on here. Must stop visiting at 2am...

Quote:

now I feel a little bad, they got back to me about the promo price and said it's really hard for them to do that price because they don't make a profit
frown.gif
I'm still thinking about it because the idea of a DAC and amp in one is something I really like. The less cable the better

Cheaper is always better, but the Compass is a fantastic piece of kit even at the full price. Most of us were confident it would land at $4-500, and that given the estimated price it was still a cracking performer.

The difference in price is ~$70 - IMO that's a very fair amount of profit for something so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #70 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damnit, I should pay more attention on here. Must stop visiting at 2am...

Cheaper is always better, but the Compass is a fantastic piece of kit even at the full price. Most of us were confident it would land at $4-500, and that given the estimated price it was still a cracking performer.

The difference in price is ~$70 - IMO that's a very fair amount of profit for something so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Actually the difference in price is only $50, since they give extra OPA moon.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #71 of 981
Ah, in which case it's an even better bargain.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been using the Moon lately. I think I prefer the Earth, but it's a close call. They're all very good.

~Phewl.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #72 of 981
Greetings. I have been lurking for a while, taking in the wealth of advice and reviews. I had a pair of Grado SR-80's that died and recently picked up the Denon AH-D2000. They sound great and continue to improve with burn-in.

I read quite a bit of the original Compass thread. It seemed like a good fit for the Denons and my budget, so I ordered it on May 29. I gather it will be at least two weeks - can't wait to try it out.

As for break in of the Compass, I understand leaving it on 24/7 is fine and it will burn-in while turned on - with or without the headphones attached? Thanks.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #73 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings. I have been lurking for a while, taking in the wealth of advice and reviews. I had a pair of Grado SR-80's that died and recently picked up the Denon AH-D2000. They sound great and continue to improve with burn-in.

I read quite a bit of the original Compass thread. It seemed like a good fit for the Denons and my budget, so I ordered it on May 29. I gather it will be at least two weeks - can't wait to try it out.

As for break in of the Compass, I understand leaving it on 24/7 is fine and it will burn-in while turned on - with or without the headphones attached? Thanks.

Welcome! Thank you for using an existing thread, and not creating a new redundant one! Yes, the electronics will 'burn in' without headphones attached.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #74 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome! Thank you for using an existing thread, and not creating a new redundant one! Yes, the electronics will 'burn in' without headphones attached.

Does a signal (music, pink noise etc.) need to be played in this case or does the device simply need to be turned on? Not trying to be redundant or dense about this but I've read so many posts from people saying that headphones or speakers need to be attached to a device for burn in to occur (including in the previous thread, I think) that I am a bit confused. I have been burning mine in while listening as well as leaving everything on overnight, and if indeed it is only necessary to leave the Compass on while being able to turn off my computer that would be a welcome thing, indeed.

Thanks

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #75 of 981
Personally, I'd play music through it. Though others have said to the contrary.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back