The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #46 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think the pace at which things are coming to market have severely hurt such former stalwarts like Asus and even Intel. I had major problems with Intel's matrix RAID controller built into the SB of X38 based boards (on up). I just use the standard IDE controller now and haven't noticed much of a drop off in actual speed except on larger file transfers.

I did buy a outboard Acomdata eSATA 1TB drive (with a Hitachi HDD) and have done back ups of everything ...

I have no idea if pink noise equals 50% more time than music. I don't think it makes any difference in all honesty. If I had to guess I'd still say no matter what you use to burn in the gear you need to put in the time. I could be wrong about that. I did use various methods last year but found they made little difference but I didn't stick with them long enough to really say one way or the other.

I do have 14 HDAM modules all of which have been burned in over the last 3-14 months and they all displayed the exact same pattern which is the damndest thing I've ever come across. I don't question the process anymore since 14 times is enough to make a believer out of me.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

14? If you do not mind me asking, why so many? Do you have an inordinate number of Compasses and Zeros around (in every room)?

-Nkk

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #47 of 981
Does anybody have any experience with KRK RP5? They've been getting some great review, and I could theoretically get them for around € 119, which I call quite affordable.
They're active, so that shouldn't pose a problem in combination with the Compass right?

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #48 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
14? If you do not mind me asking, why so many? Do you have an inordinate number of Compasses and Zeros around (in every room)?

-Nkk

I have an inordinate amount of gear of all stripes
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #49 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have 14 HDAM modules all of which have been burned in over the last 3-14 months and they all displayed the exact same pattern which is the damndest thing I've ever come across. I don't question the process anymore since 14 times is enough to make a believer out of me.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

I questioned it until I had a well-used and just-shipped pair side by side. I even argued that I couldn't see it happening. The difference was huge. And I called myself something rude in big letters, as I felt stupid...
wink.gif

Now, onto the far more important subject. Have we finally got a female visitor to this thread?
jecklinsmile.gif
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #50 of 981
The Compass came today.

Aesthetically, it is beautiful.

Sonically, it is gorgeous.

This thing is really built well...heavy, solid, thick metal, fat knobs.

The sound right out of the box is amazing, amazing with the Denon D7000's.

I have a far, far wider soundstage than with the 3Move. And the bass still goes insanely low and hits incredibly hard...but there's more texture and finesse to it.

I might just take off work for a week!

Thanks, Head-Fi for pointing me to it....thanks Kingwa for being an audio artist.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #51 of 981
Well..just got an email back from Kingwa--mine ships out next week.

Are there any headphones that go particularly well with it for under $100? I only have AD700, and my next purchase is a different headphone. I was thinking Grado SR-60 or 80, for the different sound sig. Any other ones that shine (while not being too expensive)?

-Nkk

PS I know this has been asked before, but I am finding it impossible to effectively search the Compass thread, and any mention of just a headphone type comes up a lot in 480 some pages. So, thanks for dealing with what I know is a repeat question.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #52 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well..just got an email back from Kingwa--mine ships out next week.

Are there any headphones that go particularly well with it for under $100? I only have AD700, and my next purchase is a different headphone. I was thinking Grado SR-60 or 80, for the different sound sig. Any other ones that shine (while not being too expensive)?

-Nkk

PS I know this has been asked before, but I am finding it impossible to effectively search the Compass thread, and any mention of just a headphone type comes up a lot in 480 some pages. So, thanks for dealing with what I know is a repeat question.

Or Alessandro MS-1 for $99.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #53 of 981
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

I would like to know why you have 14 as well. Wow!

edit: is the only way to turn the compass off to unplug it from the wall?

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

edit: is the only way to turn the compass off to unplug it from the wall?

The button on the front bothers you?

icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #55 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that the burn-in can be done just by leaving the unit switched on, without music playing, if you want to waste energy that way.

Really? DO I have to have the volume knob turned up? or anything special like that? or do I just need the electrical current running through the compass?

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #56 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The button on the front bothers you?

icon10.gif

lol. I swear I looked at the picture two seconds before posting. Sorry

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #57 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I questioned it until I had a well-used and just-shipped pair side by side. I even argued that I couldn't see it happening. The difference was huge. And I called myself something rude in big letters, as I felt stupid...
wink.gif

Now, onto the far more important subject. Have we finally got a female visitor to this thread?
jecklinsmile.gif
wink.gif

~Phewl.

Yes she thinks Compass must be annoying

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #58 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Answered that already.....see above post ^

I have a pile of gear in the house and I'm constantly fiddling/refining/blowing up various bits of kit from CDPs/DACs to Amps/Preamps both tube and SS/Hybrid. A lot of DIY work, some kit assembly and a lot of seat of the pants experimenting. All of it, lots of fun (when things work the way they are supposed to which happens more often than not, thank god)
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #59 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

jecklinsmile.gif
wink.gif

~Phewl.

there has been one in here for a while
wink_face.gif

now I feel a little bad, they got back to me about the promo price and said it's really hard for them to do that price because they don't make a profit
frown.gif
I'm still thinking about it because the idea of a DAC and amp in one is something I really like. The less cable the better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back