The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 981
I thought I was banned from that thread or something
jecklinsmile.gif
. Anyway, mine should be arriving within a week or so! I'll be combining the Compass with Grado 325i's and Denon D2000's.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a odd fact of life for Audio-gd gear, it's all over the map until it settles. Once it settles it's no longer annoying..................

Magnepan planars are equally annoying until the 500 hour mark....I can name all kinds of annoying gear that requires an annoying period of burn in...one thing is for sure...nobody likes being annoyed by annoying gear...what makes things worse though is being annoyed by annoying music played back on an annoying incompletely burned in piece of kit which by design, is in itself, annoying.
biggrin.gif

Peete.

tongue.gif
that definitely shouldn't have made me laugh as much as it did

oh I mentioned this in my K701 amp thread but I might as well toss it up for opinion here, the compass amp was on sale which I (it figures
frown.gif
) missed, now it would cost me about $390 to get this amp, is it still worth it?

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

oh I mentioned this in my K701 amp thread but I might as well toss it up for opinion here, the compass amp was on sale which I (it figures
frown.gif
) missed, now it would cost me about $390 to get this amp, is it still worth it?

speaking as someone who would have been, just ~6 weeks ago, horrified at spending more than $30 bucks on headphones--much less an amplifier--yes, it's worth it.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehdoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speaking as someone who would have been, just ~6 weeks ago, horrified at spending more than $30 bucks on headphones--much less an amplifier--yes, it's worth it.

Lol. That was me, too. And now look, I am already considering buying Grado SR80. Although I have not recieved mine (as in compass, not grado) to comment on whether it is worth it.

-Nkk

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 981
Figured I should repost my question on this thread:

So now that I am at the 351 mark I got a question, how long does it take for just the OPA to burn in. I now want to start burning in the moon and then the sun. Unfortunately, my quiet computer is still dead in the water so I am just trucking along in the burn in hoping to get that dam thing fixed so I can really enjoy my music.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 981
Quote:

tongue.gif

frown.gif

I figured I'd have a little fun with the "annoying" aspects of this hobby which is chock full of annoying things...I didn't mean anything personal by it and I'm glad it gave you a chuckle or two as that was the original intent
smily_headphones1.gif

Worth it ? Yeah I think so but if you've already got a good dac you might want to go up the ladder to the C-2C or something comparable.

It's a good entry level device though even if the burn in period is annoyingly (is that a word ?) long
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #22 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Figured I should repost my question on this thread:

So now that I am at the 351 mark I got a question, how long does it take for just the OPA to burn in. I now want to start burning in the moon and then the sun. Unfortunately, my quiet computer is still dead in the water so I am just trucking along in the burn in hoping to get that dam thing fixed so I can really enjoy my music.

350 hours per OPA, hate to say.......hope you get your 'puter fixed up to your liking. I've had horrible problems with Seagate drives this year, the infamous 7200.11 series firmware bug bit me hard in the backside just a week and half ago (took 400 cd's of FLAC files with it)....talk about a bummer. What took out your 'puter ?

Peete.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured I'd have a little fun with the "annoying" aspects of this hobby which is chock full of annoying things...I didn't mean anything personal by it and I'm glad it gave you a chuckle or two as that was the original intent
smily_headphones1.gif

Worth it ? Yeah I think so but if you've already got a good dac you might want to go up the ladder to the C-2C or something comparable.

It's a good entry level device though even if the burn in period is annoyingly (is that a word ?) long
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

I don't have a DAC so it sounds like this is a good idea for me
smily_headphones1.gif
, just curious, what was the sale price that I missed by a few days?

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #24 of 981
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I think it was $258.00 +shipping (USD). Glad I snagged one at that price when I did.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #25 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wankerfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it was $258.00 +shipping (USD). Glad I snagged one at that price when I did.

ahh that makes me want to cry, I can't believe I missed that

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 981
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

It was a introduction price that was extended an extra 4 weeks.

Peete.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #27 of 981
Can you guys clear up something that is (annoyingly?) confusing me :)? It has to do with super mode and with the Pre-amp on/off switch. I'll ask situationaly (can tell thats not a word, its underlined in red): lets say I have super mode on. This means I can connect a digital in and get an analog out from the DAC out without any amplification. Does this mean that DAC out does nothing when super mode is not on? And what can I expect to hear if I hook my headphones straight to the DAC out in super mode? Nothing since its not amped? What if I plug my headphones into the jack in the compass in super mode?

And pre-amp: is this an in or an out? I'm guessing in, since DAC out is basically what you would get out of a pre-amp (at least in my understanding of what a pre amp does). In that case why wouldn't you just hook it up to the analog-in? This pre-amp thing is buggin me out!

Thanks for any help guys!
Ordered mine last week to go with my new Denon D2000s (woodied woot!) and my veteran SR-60s. I also hope it'll sound good with my Livewires but don't know what to expect.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #28 of 981
Oh and I'm pissed that I missed that $258 by like 3 daye >:-O

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #29 of 981
to answer what i'm pretty certain of: when super mode is off, you are effectively connecting the dac out to the amp's line in, thus you are right--when super mode is off, the dac out does nothing.

if you hooked up to the headphone jack while in super mode (assuming you've got a source hooked up to the dac and not the amp) you would hear nothing; you're plugging your phones into an amp without a source.

to give tentative answers as to what i'm unsure of: as far as dac out vs pre amp (it's an out), you'd connect the dac out to another amplifier if you preferred this other amplifier to the compass', and it needed an analog signal. you'd connect the pre amp out to a power amplifier for, say, speakers, thus enabling use of the compass' volume control while the second amp did gain boost.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #30 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you guys clear up something that is (annoyingly?) confusing me :)? It has to do with super mode and with the Pre-amp on/off switch. I'll ask situationaly (can tell thats not a word, its underlined in red): lets say I have super mode on. This means I can connect a digital in and get an analog out from the DAC out without any amplification. Does this mean that DAC out does nothing when super mode is not on? And what can I expect to hear if I hook my headphones straight to the DAC out in super mode? Nothing since its not amped? What if I plug my headphones into the jack in the compass in super mode?

And pre-amp: is this an in or an out? I'm guessing in, since DAC out is basically what you would get out of a pre-amp (at least in my understanding of what a pre amp does). In that case why wouldn't you just hook it up to the analog-in? This pre-amp thing is buggin me out!

Pre-amp out is just what it is, a pre-amp out
smily_headphones1.gif
You can control volume and connect it to power amplifier. DAC out is just line level out, like a CD player or other source which would be connected to your integrated or pre-amp (separated equipment). DAC out is not same as preamp since you cannot control to volume. With the switch in the back you can control whether you use preamp out or headphone out. Not sure if you can use them at the same time.

In super mode pre-amp out does not work with source connected to DAC since DAC and amplification is separated. If You connect other source to line-in, you can use pre-amp out.

What I figured out from Currawong's FAQ (on the first post) DAC out does not work when not in super-mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back