The Compass Thread (New)
Aug 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #946 of 981
The Xonar Essence One?  That's probably quite the upgrade.

Open up the amp and take some good photos of how your Compass looks and post them here if you don't mind.  Hopefully the issue is a simple one.

The single supply powering the USB and SPDIF receivers is most likely not one of the possible things that's faulty right now.
Tell me what voltages you get at the following points circled in green:

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #947 of 981
The Xonar Essence One?  That's probably quite the upgrade.

Open up the amp and take some good photos of how your Compass looks and post them here if you don't mind.  Hopefully the issue is a simple one.

Also, tell me what voltages you get at the following points circled in green:

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #948 of 981
Thanks a ton for your help, I had about given up on this.  Sorry for taking so long to get a response out.

I'm getting 0V across those points in the first picture (the one with the 4 caps in a square pattern) and 1.73V across the points in the second picture.

Below as the pics for the three visible sections of the amp.

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #950 of 981
Quote:
Have you contacted Kingwa?

He is usually pretty good with walking you through troubleshooting if you are a little bit handy with electronics.

I haven't yet, it honestly didn't occur to me.  All I did was check how much it would cost to ship back for repairs; and after picking my jaw off the floor decided that wasn't an option.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #951 of 981
Quote:
Thanks a ton for your help, I had about given up on this.  Sorry for taking so long to get a response out.

I'm getting 0V across those points in the first picture (the one with the 4 caps in a square pattern) and 1.73V across the points in the second picture.

Below as the pics for the three visible sections of the amp.

No, it is not across, which i why I did not say across, you measure the voltage at EACH point individually, so your black/negative pin should only touch the nearby screw.  I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.  If I misunderstand you and you got those voltages at each point, then your power supply is seriously $%^&'d.  None of the components look bad, so I assume that there's a faulty transistor somewhere or something like that.
The voltages that you should get are approximately +15V, -15V, +3.3V and +5V from left to right, top to bottom from pic1 to pic2.

Kingwa is willing to help over email without you shipping the unit back to him.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #952 of 981
Sorry to revive this thread, but there's a used Compass on Ebay, and I was wondering how the first generation Compass might compare to Audio-GD's current entry-level DAC/amp, the NFB-15. Not looking for descriptions of the sound quality type comparisons. Just wondering if the original Compass would be somewhat comparable to the NFB-15 in overall SQ.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #954 of 981
Sorry to revive this thread, but there's a used Compass on Ebay, and I was wondering how the first generation Compass might compare to Audio-GD's current entry-level DAC/amp, the NFB-15. Not looking for descriptions of the sound quality type comparisons. Just wondering if the original Compass would be somewhat comparable to the NFB-15 in overall SQ.

Thanks!

Bumping this because there's one for sale here on Head-Fi, and I'm wondering the same thing.

Kingwa has made any bad gear.  The Compass is a nice piece and I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had it.   How much are they selling for?

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #955 of 981
$200 shipped (hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by mentioning that). Like cel4145 said, I'm just not sure how it compares to Audio-gd's newer models like the NFB-15/11.

Prolly belongs in my thread in the intro forum, but I'm curious how the OG Compass for that price stacks up against the 02+ODAC ($215) or Yulong D100 II ($315).

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #956 of 981
  $200 shipped (hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by mentioning that). Like cel4145 said, I'm just not sure how it compares to Audio-gd's newer models like the NFB-15/11.

Prolly belongs in my thread in the intro forum, but I'm curious how the OG Compass for that price stacks up against the 02+ODAC ($215) or Yulong D100 II ($315).

I doubt that those other units will sound any better.  I highly doubt that NFB-15 or 11 surpass the ol' '09 Compass, even Kingwa doesn't seem to think so.  The Compass 2 is what compares to the old Compass, or so he seemed to imply when I asked him some somewhat unrelated questions.  You could try asking him yourself, he's a nice gent'.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #957 of 981

No, it is not across, which i why I did not say across, you measure the voltage at EACH point individually, so your black/negative pin should only touch the nearby screw.  I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.  If I misunderstand you and you got those voltages at each point, then your power supply is seriously $%^&'d.  None of the components look bad, so I assume that there's a faulty transistor somewhere or something like that.
The voltages that you should get are approximately +15V, -15V, +3.3V and +5V from left to right, top to bottom from pic1 to pic2.

Kingwa is willing to help over email without you shipping the unit back to him.

I know it has been a few years but any updates on this. I just had mine die in the exact same way.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #958 of 981

I know it has been a few years but any updates on this. I just had mine die in the exact same way.

Sorry, but I never got around to it.  I had new toys to play with, and my Compass has been sitting on a rack since.  I'm in need of another DAC/AMP now, so I'm going to actually get in touch with Kingwa and see what happens.  I did take the measurements that Mad Max asked for -- and all the voltages do come out correct so it's probably not the power supply.  I was also a little surprised to find out there is no fuse . . . or at least no fuse where I would expect one.

Just wish I could find a way to ship it back for less than $60, if it comes to that.

I doubt that those other units will sound any better.  I highly doubt that NFB-15 or 11 surpass the ol' '09 Compass, even Kingwa doesn't seem to think so.  The Compass 2 is what compares to the old Compass, or so he seemed to imply when I asked him some somewhat unrelated questions.  You could try asking him yourself, he's a nice gent'.

Is this really true?  I was tempted to take the easy way out and just buy a NFB-11, but if there really is not much difference it really is motivation to stop being lazy.  Plus I'm hoping that there is an Amanero upgrade option soon.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #959 of 981

Sorry, but I never got around to it.  I had new toys to play with, and my Compass has been sitting on a rack since.  I'm in need of another DAC/AMP now, so I'm going to actually get in touch with Kingwa and see what happens.  I did take the measurements that Mad Max asked for -- and all the voltages do come out correct so it's probably not the power supply.  I was also a little surprised to find out there is no fuse . . . or at least no fuse where I would expect one.

Just wish I could find a way to ship it back for less than $60, if it comes to that.

Is this really true?  I was tempted to take the easy way out and just buy a NFB-11, but if there really is not much difference it really is motivation to stop being lazy.  Plus I'm hoping that there is an Amanero upgrade option soon.

$60 for a fixed Compass seems like a deal,  but I would contact him and see if he can help out with it.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #960 of 981

$60 for a fixed Compass seems like a deal,  but I would contact him and see if he can help out with it.

I'm assuming $60 to ship it (confirmed on USPS.gov), plus $30 to get it back (based on rates for similar amps on their site), but yes that's still a "deal".  Pretty huge hassle though!

I just sent an e-mail.  Will see what happens.

Oh, something I found interesting.  Two years ago I wrote:

I haven't yet, it honestly didn't occur to me.  All I did was check how much it would cost to ship back for repairs; and after picking my jaw off the floor decided that wasn't an option.

The shipping costs two years ago were around $160.  I don't know why it is so much cheaper now, but if it was still $160 + $30 I am still not really sure if it would be worth the trouble of sending it back versus just listing it for parts in the FS/FT forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back