The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #4,666 of 6,351
Take a look at the Burson Playmate 2. I have one of those and a Burson Conductor. Upgrade the opamps in the Playmate 2 to the v6 vivid or classic and I have trouble telling a difference between my PM2 and Conductor other than power output which either has more than enough for Stellia.

Same. I tried stepping up a level at a time and finally just broke down and bought the Stellia and haven't looked back or had even a shred of regret.
I think I will go for the Burson Playmate 2. My Source is a computer so with the internal dac that is a perfect solution. I think the only bummer is that there is no possibility for a balanced cable, but with 3W there is so much power.

I had in the past interferences with the USB port with a DAC. Thats a common problem with NVidia GPU Cards, so I used the optical port. "Goldensound" described this as bad solution, because the signal isn't clean. So what should I do, if I don't want to buy a Holo Audio May :wink:

I think you need an amp with more power than that to enjoy the Aeon Noire more and balanced at that.
My main issues were the metallic timbre and compression and less dynamic sound. Could be that a better amp would be the solution, but there are a lot reviews with the same issues and I think that in this professional reviews the problem isn't the amp. My ideal closed back should be easy driven. I can drive the Stellia with my Macbook. No perfect solution, but more than acceptable.

I think the Meze Liric aren't not that much better than the Noire for twice the price. To my ears the Liric are little bit more natural, but the Stellia are much better than the Liric. I think the Liric are overpriced and you have to pay the Design and headphones as a luxury product (probably the same with the Empyreans...regarding to "GoldenSound" a 3000 USD headphone with 1000 USD sound). I think the Stellia aren't comfy as the Liric, but have the same level of luxury and build quality.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #4,667 of 6,351
I had in the past interferences with the USB port with a DAC. Thats a common problem with NVidia GPU Cards, so I used the optical port. "Goldensound" described this as bad solution, because the signal isn't clean. So what should I do, if I don't want to buy a Holo Audio May :wink:
One quick tip on optical output: You CAN get good sound via optical, but it’s worth it to save up for a good cable, which will make a LOT of difference.

I use a DH Labs Glass Master Toslink cable, and with that between a BlueSound Node 2 and the Schiit Gungnir Multibit, I would bet anyone that they could not discern the difference between that and a high-quality copper SPDIF/RCA cable connection… (I use that type of connection between my CD player and the Gungnir)

DH Labs makes great, fair-priced cables, and The Cable Company sometimes has good promotions on some of their models- that’s how I got the Glass Master.

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #4,668 of 6,351
One quick tip on optical output: You CAN get good sound via optical, but it’s worth it to save up for a good cable, which will make a LOT of difference.

I use a DH Labs Glass Master Toslink cable, and with that between a BlueSound Node 2 and the Schiit Gungnir Multibit, I would bet anyone that they could not discern the difference between that and a high-quality copper SPDIF/RCA cable connection… (I use that type of connection between my CD player and the Gungnir)

DH Labs makes great, fair-priced cables, and The Cable Company sometimes has good promotions on some of their models- that’s how I got the Glass Master.
Thanks a lot for the tip with the cable.
Whats with jitter? In the youtube video @7:30 Min the author explains, that a PC as source is really bad because of jitter.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #4,669 of 6,351
Whats with jitter? In the youtube video @7:30 Min the author explains, that a PC as source is really bad because of jitter.
Most understandable source/definition I’ve found, as there are loads out there: http://audiophilleo.com/Home/Definition/jitter

The use of high-quality glass fibers in Toslink/optical cables is important to ensure accurate data transfers, apparently.

Some claim that SPDIF/RCA (electrical pulses via a conductor) are always superior. But if optical is the way you have to go, using a high-quality glass-based cable will definitely sound really, really good.

https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/glass-master-toslink/

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #4,670 of 6,351
If your external DAC reclocks the signal, then jitter is not a problem. It's the same with USB. The clock of a PC is just not meant to be atomictclock accuracy - it needs to keep the rhythm of all the components. I've seen Rega use that as an argument against USB. But with reclocking in the DAC, you get your DAC clock, which is an audio quality clock, so it's perfect.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #4,671 of 6,351
Here's my impression of victor ha-mx100z (same as 100v really), personally I run them with geekria m50 pads:

TL;DR, they cost 21000JPY over on Amazon jp, these are the HD560S equivalent of closed back headphones, making you question if spend thousands of dollars on headphones and amps make sense. (Btw, 100v and 100z are the same thing but 100v has the updated victor studio logo. And to get the best out of them, I recommend either z1000 pads or pleather ath-m50 pads)

link to official page
link to GREQ's measurement with miniDSP

First let's talk about technology, these are an upgraded version of victor's previous studio monitor HA-MX10B, which are said to try to mimic the sound signature of Genelec main monitors 1035B which are used in victor studio (the record studio). MX10B features a bass tube/diffuser thing in the back of the earcup and MX100 features one more on the baffle. Supposedly these helps with the bass and soundstage. Drivers are 40mm triple magnets (victor's thing on pretty much any products really) so nothing too special about them.

So how do they sound?
Blazingly fast and transparent detail monster with nice midrange. Seriously these are the definition of accurate studio monitors, whether they got the genelec house sound right is questionable but the midrange is the most natural I have ever heard on a closed back. Its not as relaxed as CD1700 but much more transparent. Bass is tight and articulated if you swap pads to larger pleather ones that seal better. Treble is as smooth as it is gonna get with anything short of electrostatic. Only drawback is soundstage, which has respective width but lacks depth (comparing to openbacks with angled driver of course). Personally I prefer these to HD560S (without eq) on 90 percent of my playlists.

Here are some of the songs I ABed MX100 and 560S with, full spotify playlist here. I listen to a wide variety of stuff but mostly vocals with instrumental background:
さくらひらり by Tomo
This one I actually prefer HD560S's rendition, the diffusing soundstage on the instruments bring the vocal to next level. MX100 has better midrange textures and more bass though.
星座 by Suara (Pure legend of acoustics edition)
My goto headphone test song, hands down MX100 win. 560S really show their sluggishness here, and lacking textures in vocal kinda kills the song (exaggeration of course). MX100 imo strikes a perfect balance between vocal and instruments.
Fragile (Fragtime theme)
MX100 wins, 560S shows their imperfect treble here, making the song not very enjoyable.
What Am I Fighting For (by AKINO for GFL)
Another MX100 win, the sluggishness of 560S really make them less suitable for music with metal elements.
オラリオン by yana
A tie between MX100 and 560s, I kinda like the diffusing sound stage on 560s but the textures and speed on MX100 is very hard to beat.
Destination ailleurs by Yannick Noah
MX100 wins, you need bass for this.
SPARK! by DEPAPEPE
MX100 wins, the speed and detail of the guitars are rendered like a dream.
Meditarranean Sundance
MX100 wins, same reason as above.
Dvorak Symphony No.9
A tie, you get the nice soundstage depth of 560S but lose the impact and maybe some details.

Overall I highly recommend these, and would even say they are maginally better than dca noire (based on my 60 minute time with those in a store of course so not reliable at all), they are my go to portable headphones.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #4,673 of 6,351
So how do they sound?
Blazingly fast and transparent detail monster with nice midrange.
Have to emphasize this point.
The HA-MX100-Z give my HE-500 a run for their money, they just so detailed and quick.
They're faster and more accurate than the more expensive HA-SW01, and respond well to pad rolling to your own taste.

I'm not sure I would start recommending it to people as a portable closed-back because of the long, thick cable, and pad-rolling is almost a requirement, but for studio work it's an easy recommendation since build quality is also very high for a largely plastic build.

It's easy to overlook JVC/Victor as a company, but these are one of the most over-engineered headphones around today, with so many smaller details you would only find on headphones that have been transformed by modders.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #4,674 of 6,351
Have to emphasize this point.
The HA-MX100-Z give my HE-500 a run for their money, they just so detailed and quick.
They're faster and more accurate than the more expensive HA-SW01, and respond well to pad rolling to your own taste.

I'm not sure I would start recommending it to people as a portable closed-back because of the long, thick cable, and pad-rolling is almost a requirement, but for studio work it's an easy recommendation since build quality is also very high for a largely plastic build.

It's easy to overlook JVC/Victor as a company, but these are one of the most over-engineered headphones around today, with so many smaller details you would only find on headphones that have been transformed by modders.
yeah the cable is kinda long for portables but other than that it fits in the category perfectly. Easy to drive, well built, not super expensive, good isolation and not oversized.

Jul 4, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #4,675 of 6,351
Does the AKG K371 do a good job with isolation? Talking about muting outside sounds specifically, don't care about the music leaking outside. Been a hot summer so I just want something that blocks the traffic noises and such coming in from the open windows when I'm listening to music or gaming and also sounds good enough while doing it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #4,676 of 6,351
Does the AKG K371 do a good job with isolation? Talking about muting outside sounds specifically, don't care about the music leaking outside. Been a hot summer so I just want something that blocks the traffic noises and such coming in from the open windows when I'm listening to music or gaming and also sounds good enough while doing it.
That I don't know. I just know that DCA Aeon headphones isolate pretty good. Only Over-Ear/In-Ear ANC headphones will isolate better. Keep in mind the closed back headphones won't make the summer any cooler.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4,677 of 6,351
I've been wearing mine at work today while the guy next to me is having a heated conversation with someone in Arabic. I'm gonna go with no 😞

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #4,678 of 6,351
I've been wearing mine at work today while the guy next to me is having a heated conversation with someone in Arabic. I'm gonna go with no 😞

Nothing blocks out outside noise better than Etymotic IEMs - passively that is... I don't know much about ANC

I say this as an owner of K361s and a few etymotic IEMs who also happens to be a peace and quiet enjoying half-arab introvert with really sensitive hearing born into a rather loud family.

How's that for a science/sociology experiment?

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #4,679 of 6,351
I'd like to nominate the JVC HA-RX700 for the Under $100 category. Just picked one up from Amazon for $30 last week. The stock earpads are garbage, so one would also need to pick up something like some Brainwavz XL pads or similar. But even then, the whole thing is still only around $50.

Been enjoying them at the office today. Fun, V-shaped rock-and-roller, this. Bass is well-extended, if a little lacking in detail and a bit sluggish on the decay. Mids are very musical and energetic. Highs are a bit grainy, though not so much as to be bothersome. Not fatiguing or harsh like a lot of other headphones in this range. I would even go so far as to say they sometimes exhibit a bit of sparkle up top.

No sound stage. Very much an in-your-head kind of presentation. Isolates well, though.

Low resistance and high sensitivity. Can drive them out of anything. No EQ needed after a pad swap. No comfort or fatigue issues after several hours at the office today.

I'm enjoying them for what they are. Again, this headphone + better pads will set you back $50-60, but I've heard plenty of headphones that were simultaneously more expensive and less fun than this. This might become my travel headphone when all I plan to have on me is my phone and I don't want to worry about them getting trashed or lost.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #4,680 of 6,351
I was thinking about selling my beyerdynamic DT700 PRO X, somehow I got my old apple airport express while cleaning my room and after the setup. I ran Apple Music -> iPhone ->airplay 2 -> Apple Airport Express 2 -> 3.5 mm jack -> beyerdynamic DT700 PRO X. The sound has changed my mind !! It's a beautiful pairing for late night beside use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back