The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #4,696 of 6,351
Hmm, well......Dr Bian did see this is and while he did feel something, bad isn't the word I'd used to describe it. The was some consternation regarding the lack of mention that the driver cushioning appears to have been pealed off which has then exposed the glue that was there to hold said cushion in place, exposed. Why remove the cushion exposing the glue to then complain that its a mess, rip a driver unit apart, and complain its a mess....... well duh. If you tear apart stuff that is glued and sealed you are pretty much going to destroy it in the process which is why we suggest its not a great idea to do so. This is what a non torn to bits driver should look like.WeChat Image_20220708115216.jpg

WeChat Image_20220708114809.jpg

Wow! I can't believe Dr. Bian saw my msg. :D I am a big fan.
I have seen all his interviews, even RMAF panel discussions.

Hmm, well......Dr Bian did see this is and while he did feel something, bad isn't the word I'd used to describe it. The was some consternation regarding the lack of mention that the driver cushioning appears to have been pealed off which has then exposed the glue that was there to hold said cushion in place, exposed. Why remove the cushion exposing the glue to then complain that its a mess, rip a driver unit apart, and complain its a mess....... well duh. If you tear apart stuff that is glued and sealed you are pretty much going to destroy it in the process which is why we suggest its not a great idea to do so. This is what a non torn to bits driver should look like.

I will alleviate all concerns that you have, as it seems you think I have some agenda.
I do not.
I like to mod headphone for fun. Like DIY.

1) So I realized that the r7dx can be opened up , and I did to see if pads can be replaced or glued in etc.
2) I realized it can be made open back if i want. Cool. Nice.
3) I have lot of spare parts, so I thought maybe will some spare part fit. Yes. Wood Cup with little modification.

hifiman mod.jpg
hifiman mod 2.jpg

So I was like this is awesome. A new creation to share with my headphone friends.

But then. I realize after testing, there is some imbalance. And I was thinking about it for a long time. Tried different damping, and mod.

But then I saw the driver. The magnet hole is very funny shape, and not a circle on one of them.

Also the venting circle on one driver look like it have some burrs.

Then I knew now it is no more use, so I am curious.

I wanted to know if the membrane is stiff with the topology technology.

I read much of topology technology and the different shape coating. So I open it up to poke it, and touch it with my finger , so I can feel it. I have done this before with many driver to see how stiff it is.

So.. in conclusion I am just a regular DIY'er who is a bit disappointed since I had to do a lot of work and time to make it wood cup r7dx.

Here is proof I have DIY other headphone, and look at drivers.

dt480 mod.jpg

dt48.770.8.jpg

dt48mod.jpg

dt48.007.3.jpg

So you can see finally I did same to the r7dx

hifiman mod 2.jpg

So, I'm happy Dr. Bian saw my msg. And I understand he would question why I would do something like open up a headphone, but I hope that satisfies and eliminates your concerns that I have some agenda. And for the record, the magnet was 100% distorted and a QC issue.

it is common for people on this website to swap pads, and open up to look at the driver out of curiosity.

And also the cushion is held in with clips, not glue. It can be taken off and put back on easily.

And the cups are modular and come apart with screws. There is no "tearing apart" Just unclip pads, and use screwdriver to remove the many screw.

So I did not make that hole like that.

I don't even want a replacement, just give me two r10 cups :D

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4,697 of 6,351
The was some consternation regarding the lack of mention that the driver cushioning appears to have been pealed off which has then exposed the glue that was there to hold said cushion in place, exposed. Why remove the cushion exposing the glue to then complain that its a mess, rip a driver unit apart, and complain its a mess....... well duh.

I would also like to answer this specific point, because I don't think it is a crime to explore into a headphone to understand it better. I saw this quote on Drop from r7dx ad.

"Founded in New York City in 2007, HIFIMAN has always kept its ears close to the audiophile community. Case and point: Dr. Fang, company founder and head engineer. Dr. Fang started out as an active contributor on Head-Fi, regularly attending local meetups while pursuing his doctorate at Columbia. When he realized his PhD research could be relevant to his passion—the music-listening experience and the audiophile products that improve it—he started talking with forum members and meetup attendees about what they’d like to see in the next generation of headphones. With his first designs, HIFIMAN was born. In the few short years since its inception, HIFIMAN has released several highly regarded audio products, all while keeping close ties with the audiophile community. At Drop, we couldn’t imagine a better way of doing things."

So, Dr. Bian like some unique head-fi'er was a member who made his own headphone. I knew of his story when he was studying in New York, and also passionate about the audio and headphone, and try to learn as much as he can. Also visiting local orchestra etc etc.

So I see those as inspiration to make something unique. There are a few members who made their own creations.

I should not have to feel bad to try and understand why a headphone is designed in a certain way, or try and make some improvement.

Please don't make an assumption I purposely damaged the driver.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4,698 of 6,351
Hmm, well......Dr Bian did see this is and while he did feel something, bad isn't the word I'd used to describe it. The was some consternation regarding the lack of mention that the driver cushioning appears to have been pealed off which has then exposed the glue that was there to hold said cushion in place, exposed. Why remove the cushion exposing the glue to then complain that its a mess, rip a driver unit apart, and complain its a mess....... well duh. If you tear apart stuff that is glued and sealed you are pretty much going to destroy it in the process which is why we suggest its not a great idea to do so. This is what a non torn to bits driver should look like.

Yikes, what a response. 😬

Of course people do tear downs. Where have you been the past decade?

And he's an enthusiast too. 🤦‍♂️ Your customer base, right here!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #4,699 of 6,351
Yikes, what a response. 😬

Of course people do tear downs. Where have you been the past decade?

And he's an enthusiast too. 🤦‍♂️ Your customer base, right here!

Technically it was a DIY mod.

And you can see the proof, the headphone was put back together perfectly fine with original pads with the wood cups on.

hifiman mod.jpg
hifiman mod 2.jpg

So you can see I did take it apart. And then it was put back together. So it was never damaged by modding it.

And then it was only after all that work, and believe you me, it was a bit of work to get those bamboo cup on.

The imbalance was not by the taking apart or the mod, but the magnet being like that along with the venting bit being burred a bit in the circles, so I think the airflow was different b/w the L/R channel, though subtle.

1657292856959.png

Once I realize the defect. Then I took off the grill. You can see where the screwdriver poked the hole. It is not in the middle, and impossible really for me to make that weird shape.

And the only reason I removed the grill was not to see the hole and you can see it from the back.

I took off the grill to like see how easy it will crinkle or remain stiff. Like I have done with Beyerdynamics, AKG Foster etc etc.

This is only b/c I knew there was no saving it.

Attachments

• 1657292841356.png
    1657292841356.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1657292841570.png
    1657292841570.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #4,700 of 6,351
Nice work @SHAMuuu Too bad its spent on something that seems not to be up to a high quality standard itself... Just thinking of the original HE1000 where a sharp edge on the gimbal would ruin the pads when they were moved. So what's to be expected of a cheap model?

I can understand the use of glue in cheap headphones, but unfortunately it doesn't stop there: glue is used much too often even in high end models (of different manufacturers to be fair). I think its time to do better and make headphones more repairable (which also opens them to enthusiasts who want to modify their headphones).

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #4,701 of 6,351
Why remove the cushion exposing the glue to then complain that its a mess, rip a driver unit apart, and complain its a mess....... well duh. If you tear apart stuff that is glued and sealed you are pretty much going to destroy it in the process which is why we suggest its not a great idea to do so. This is what a non torn to bits driver should look like.
And yet, Hifiman should be happy that someone is making them aware of problems in their production process, out of their own pocket; but what is the response?
"Don't destroy the driver or you'll find the flaws."

That doesn't sound good whichever way you try to spin it.

Just apologise and promise to do better.
Simple.

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #4,702 of 6,351
Nice work @SHAMuuu Too bad its spent on something that seems not to be up to a high quality standard itself... Just thinking of the original HE1000 where a sharp edge on the gimbal would ruin the pads when they were moved. So what's to be expected of a cheap model?

I can understand the use of glue in cheap headphones, but unfortunately it doesn't stop there: glue is used much too often even in high end models (of different manufacturers to be fair). I think its time to do better and make headphones more repairable (which also opens them to enthusiasts who want to modify their headphones).

Actually, the modular design of the r7dx is quite impressive.

1) Pads clip off.
2) Everything comes apart with just a simple screwdriver.
3) No need to solder, as its similar to Sennheiser believe it or not, everything just comes apart.
4) Removable cables.

The driver is a different story.

Actually I am surprised it sounded somewhat good (besides the L/R balance)

I really liked the re400/re600 songbird, and was excited this could be like a 50mm waterline/songbird. That would have been great.

But I would be lying if I was impressed with the driver.

And yes they are entry level, but so is the creative aurvana live which was 50. And the E-MU Walnut which both have biocellulose drivers which are much better.

In one sense it's impressive and I give credit for that, but obv in my case, with the issue, it is disappointing.

And yet, Hifiman should be happy that someone is making them aware of problems in their production process, out of their own pocket; but what is the response?
"Don't destroy the driver or you'll find the flaws."

That doesn't sound good whichever way you try to spin it.

Just apologise and promise to do better.
Simple.

Some autographed r10 cups by Dr. Bian :D . Not the whole headphone, just the cups would heal my broken heart.

giphy.gif

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #4,704 of 6,351
Oof! It hurts MY heart to see a dedicated, honest modder still a HiFiMAN fan despite the not-so-subtle jab at his intentions by HFM. I'm also a HFM fan and I trust they will make this right. :)

It's not Dr. Bian who wrote that. So, how can I be upset at the triple OG. He's just protecting his brand, and hats off to him for it. He's got style, that's for sure.

1657584234251.png

I hope they just tighten the ship, because in all fairness, probably someone at the factory not paying attention.

Hifiman I'm sure will come out with some bangers in the coming months and years, and the trickle down technology is awesome.

I remember trying the HE1k HEX and I was like WOW, a 2nd audio nirvana moment.

And now you see those ear shape headphones in lower price bracket.

And his IEMS punch real nice for good value.

I'm sure they'll tighten up the ship.

Look at those tubes!

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #4,706 of 6,351
Lol to that Hifiman response. I'm sure that's not the only unit with some internal issues; it's a bargain headphone. I love my he-500 and also love the he6se, but I sold the latter because of my QC fears with stuck magnets. I probably didn't need to, but when I read responses like that, I'm glad I did. I wouldn't want to be told, "Well Duh!" if something broke.

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #4,709 of 6,351
That is certainly an interesting response. I love my Susvara but the reason it took me so long to buy (outside of the cost) was the QC reputation that HifiMan has. At the same time, they're typically well known for their support so I still went ahead (and ultimately glad I did since it's the best headphone I've ever heard). Still, disappointed in that response.

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #4,710 of 6,351
That response precisely sums up why I'll never buy a HFM product.
My friend, I haven't forgot what I "promised" to you in other thread... Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow's... And besides of that... you and the forum will have other Terriero's news soon!!! :relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back