The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 16, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #4,726 of 6,418
These two closed backs have been my go tos for about 3 months now, a lot of hours on both. (Stellia & P9)

They are a fascinating contrast and a perfect example of just how different headphones can be, and how fun this hobby can be.

You'd likely presume the Stellia would take all my time, being over 4x the price...Nay. The P9 is the only closed back under 1k that has actually held my attention (I also owned Elegia & Celestee, but booted them out when Stellia arrived).

Where Stellia is astonishingly clear, precise, fast, detailed, P9 is luxirous, warm, enveloping.

Whenever you listen to the P9s it's as if you already have a couple of whiskeys onboard. It's a bit fuzzy but like treacle. The P9 absolutely does do better with some tracks than the Stellia, imo.

Classic rock, or modern indie rock, from Zeppelin to Wolf Alice, i reach for P9. Somehow tracks with that momentum, driven by the force of a full band, just have more weight and carry you away somewhere on the P9. Think the galloping of Iron Maiden tracks too, that sense of unbroken pace.

In contrast the Stellia has these wide open spaces. It's quite an alert headphone, which is fantastic for solo vocalists, or EDM, but it also takes away some of the cohesiveness of music that relies on a full band. While detail is great, when it's this laser etched it can be a blessing and a curse. Vocals on Stellia are far clearer than on P9. Yet somehow more romantic on P9..It'd odd. Pros and cons.

For EDM the Stellia runs circles around the P9. With it's incredible resolution up top it imbues electronic music with a sense of sheer vibrancy that I've not heard any headphone match. That includes Verite Closed, Diana V2 that includes Susvara. I'm not kidding. I think for EDM these are perhaps the best headphone on the planet.

More people should try the P9 though, it's a bargain. It's coloured, it's exceptionally unique, and for the right stuff it really is a treat. It's not laser precise or tonally balanced, but it is reminiscent of watching your favourite band in a 2000 person, imperfect indoor venue, where the atmosphere is off the charts.

Just thought I'd post on what I think are the perfect two closed backs to own if you want contrast. The beautiful glitzy femme fatale and her grungey, lazy yet over talented brother.
Great descriptions- and I completely agree with your assessment of the Stellia!

Your description of the P9 made me think of the ZMF Eikon in some ways. The Eikon is closer to the P9, without so much coloration… the “laser-etching” (great visual!) of the vocalists and instruments is much less pronounced with the Eikon, yet there is plenty of clarity and detail to satisfy. And the sub-bass is pretty comparable.

I’ve referred to the Eikon as a “mini-Stellia”, as there are some great traits that both share, but the Eikon is a bit kinder to less-high-quality recordings, Yet it scales easily to make high-end recordings sound glorious. It’s a great complement to the Stellia, especially when used with an OTL tube amp.

The Eikon actually has me considering selling the Stellia and eventually replacing it with a Verité Closed, but only if the Stellia doesn’t mesh with my WA2 tube amp with a copper-silver hybrid cable. I have no doubt that the Verité will perform excellently with my WA2, do having a TOTL headphone that isn’t a great match with my main amp just doesn’t make sense… but we will see!

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #4,727 of 6,418
These two closed backs have been my go tos for about 3 months now, a lot of hours on both. (Stellia & P9)

They are a fascinating contrast and a perfect example of just how different headphones can be, and how fun this hobby can be.

You'd likely presume the Stellia would take all my time, being over 4x the price...Nay. The P9 is the only closed back under 1k that has actually held my attention (I also owned Elegia & Celestee, but booted them out when Stellia arrived).

Where Stellia is astonishingly clear, precise, fast, detailed, P9 is luxirous, warm, enveloping.

Whenever you listen to the P9s it's as if you already have a couple of whiskeys onboard. It's a bit fuzzy but like treacle. The P9 absolutely does do better with some tracks than the Stellia, imo.

Classic rock, or modern indie rock, from Zeppelin to Wolf Alice, i reach for P9. Somehow tracks with that momentum, driven by the force of a full band, just have more weight and carry you away somewhere on the P9. Think the galloping of Iron Maiden tracks too, that sense of unbroken pace.

In contrast the Stellia has these wide open spaces. It's quite an alert headphone, which is fantastic for solo vocalists, or EDM, but it also takes away some of the cohesiveness of music that relies on a full band. While detail is great, when it's this laser etched it can be a blessing and a curse. Vocals on Stellia are far clearer than on P9. Yet somehow more romantic on P9..It'd odd. Pros and cons.

For EDM the Stellia runs circles around the P9. With it's incredible resolution up top it imbues electronic music with a sense of sheer vibrancy that I've not heard any headphone match. That includes Verite Closed, Diana V2 that includes Susvara. I'm not kidding. I think for EDM these are perhaps the best headphone on the planet.

More people should try the P9 though, it's a bargain. It's coloured, it's exceptionally unique, and for the right stuff it really is a treat. It's not laser precise or tonally balanced, but it is reminiscent of watching your favourite band in a 2000 person, imperfect indoor venue, where the atmosphere is off the charts.

Just thought I'd post on what I think are the perfect two closed backs to own if you want contrast. The beautiful glitzy femme fatale and her grungey, lazy yet over talented brother.

This is very much my experience too if you substitute the P9 for the LCD 2 Closed haha. Completely addicted to the Stellia but the LCD 2 Closed is perfect when I want a more “full”, meaty but also forgiving sound to rock out with, as it were.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #4,728 of 6,418
Great descriptions- and I completely agree with your assessment of the Stellia!

Your description of the P9 made me think of the ZMF Eikon in some ways. The Eikon is closer to the P9, without so much coloration… the “laser-etching” (great visual!) of the vocalists and instruments is much less pronounced with the Eikon, yet there is plenty of clarity and detail to satisfy. And the sub-bass is pretty comparable.

I’ve referred to the Eikon as a “mini-Stellia”, as there are some great traits that both share, but the Eikon is a bit kinder to less-high-quality recordings, Yet it scales easily to make high-end recordings sound glorious. It’s a great complement to the Stellia, especially when used with an OTL tube amp.

The Eikon actually has me considering selling the Stellia and eventually replacing it with a Verité Closed, but only if the Stellia doesn’t mesh with my WA2 tube amp with a copper-silver hybrid cable. I have no doubt that the Verité will perform excellently with my WA2, do having a TOTL headphone that isn’t a great match with my main amp just doesn’t make sense… but we will see!
Ah yes Verite Closed, magical headphone!
The P9 is the most similar to it I've heard, but the VC has much better tonal balance. Both have those intimate, romantic mids, the feel like all the good parts of vinyl transposed on top of vocals. Impossible to describe really, VC has to be experienced.

I think my ideal 2 headphones would be VC and Stellia. I do prefer Stellia, personally, it's a bit more dazzling, and has that Focal clarity that is so enjoyable. When I first demoed Stellia it was alongside VC!

I've got to try Eikon, or indeed any of the other ZMFs. Good luck with the new amp.

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #4,729 of 6,418
Hey all! Just found this thread, nice recommendations in the first post! Can anyone tell me which of those headphones would be good for metal/rock music? I really enjoy the sound signature of the grado 325x and DT 1990 pro so looking for something similar but closed back. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #4,730 of 6,418
Hey all! Just found this thread, nice recommendations in the first post! Can anyone tell me which of those headphones would be good for metal/rock music? I really enjoy the sound signature of the grado 325x and DT 1990 pro so looking for something similar but closed back. Thanks!
Check out the Kennerton Magni

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #4,731 of 6,418
Check out the Kennerton Magni
Thanks! I should've mentioned my budget. Anything under $600 you'd recommend checking out?

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #4,732 of 6,418
After fretting for over a month since my Lagoon broke down, I found a B-stock on Thomann for both the Audeze LCD-2 closed back and the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Noire. I ordered both and will return one. I had a listen to the Audeze on my own music (synth) and was very impressed. I'm planning to take a couple of days to listen to a more diverse selection of music, as well as using them both for working with my synth. I’ll do a direct comparison with the Lagoon as well, which I like, but frequently gives me a nasty surprise when listening to the same material on my monitor speakers. Looking very much forward to it!

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #4,733 of 6,418

Bowers and Wilkins P9 or P7.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #4,735 of 6,418
Here is my newest addition, though it's not new
20220724_210758.jpg
I very much prefer the sound of Eikon over Atticus (which I had last year for a brief moment). It's a big headphone and not for on the move but it is perfect for late night listening (open back headphones disturb the missus (so she says :wink:)). Long time listener of the Ether CX and compared to the Ether CX the Eikon has way more bass presence. Both headphones sound very open for a closed-back. Ether CX is lighter.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #4,737 of 6,418
P7 wireless are a tonne of fun for rock can confirm. P9 too, just dial bass down a few dB

Oh but I like their bass untamed… I’m a front of stage addict to rock concerts and « that » is the kind of bass I like :)

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #4,738 of 6,418
Here is my newest addition, though it's not new
20220724_210758.jpg
I very much prefer the sound of Eikon over Atticus (which I had last year for a brief moment). It's a big headphone and not for on the move but it is perfect for late night listening (open back headphones disturb the missus (so she says :wink:)). Long time listener of the Ether CX and compared to the Ether CX the Eikon has way more bass presence. Both headphones sound very open for a closed-back. Ether CX is lighter.
Completely agree on the Eikon’s bass capabilities. Plumbing the depths is a great strength of this headphone. It also can “project” a pretty wide soundstage for a closed-back with recordings that need that.

Listening to Finneas’ “The Kids Are All Dying” right now, and the slam, PRaT, and vocals are simply lovely.

Plug an Eikon into a good OTL tube amp, and I’d bet you won’t want for much… 😊

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #4,739 of 6,418
Well, I'm back here once again hoping to get some collective insight for a new purchase. I would like to buy something that I can use for remote meetings, so the emphasis will be on comfort (extended wearing) and voice quality/clarity.

I've looked through the list posted in the first comment, and the only one I can trial in person is the AirPods Max. I am willing to go up to the $1500 tier, as this would be used extensively for work.

I do like the comfort of the Hyland Jupiter thanks to the lightness and the big cups, and that alone makes me want to get the Hyland Eclipse (even though I realize that it may sound differently from the Jupiter due to closed vs. open). But I'd love to get some other takes.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #4,740 of 6,418
Well, I'm back here once again hoping to get some collective insight for a new purchase. I would like to buy something that I can use for remote meetings, so the emphasis will be on comfort (extended wearing) and voice quality/clarity.

I've looked through the list posted in the first comment, and the only one I can trial in person is the AirPods Max. I am willing to go up to the $1500 tier, as this would be used extensively for work.

I do like the comfort of the Hyland Jupiter thanks to the lightness and the big cups, and that alone makes me want to get the Hyland Eclipse (even though I realize that it may sound differently from the Jupiter due to closed vs. open). But I'd love to get some other takes.
Airpods Max all day, if call quality and comfort is the thing. I find them the most comfortable headphone I have, even more than Stellia. I use my APM all day for work etc, Stellia for evening listening. I enjoy the APM a lot tbf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back