The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 14, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #4,712 of 6,418
As far as close back headphones go...did someone here compare the aeon 2 noire with the meze liric?
I had the Meze Liric when it came out. It's a nice headphone with great comfort, easy to drive, solidly built. In terms of sound, it's fairly engaging with okayish technical performance. For me, the downside was the metallic treble. I consider myself someone who likes a bright headphone, but the treble on the Liric was just grating.

The Aeon Noire 2, which I now have, by contrast is much smoother, with a more natural timbre, and excellent technical performance. Comfort is outstanding. I was listening to them today and they're very absorbing. The downside is that they're hard to drive. Mojo 2/Hugo 2 just about does it, but you really need a beefy portable amp like the C9. They also look absurd on the head, so I consider them more for home use.

But certainly I'd recommend the Noire 2 over the Liric despite the price difference.

Jul 15, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #4,713 of 6,418
I had the Meze Liric when it came out. It's a nice headphone with great comfort, easy to drive, solidly built. In terms of sound, it's fairly engaging with okayish technical performance. For me, the downside was the metallic treble. I consider myself someone who likes a bright headphone, but the treble on the Liric was just grating.

The Aeon Noire 2, which I now have, by contrast is much smoother, with a more natural timbre, and excellent technical performance. Comfort is outstanding. I was listening to them today and they're very absorbing. The downside is that they're hard to drive. Mojo 2/Hugo 2 just about does it, but you really need a beefy portable amp like the C9. They also look absurd on the head, so I consider them more for home use.

But certainly I'd recommend the Noire 2 over the Liric despite the price difference.

I got the Noire and I like them alot.
Just looking for a close back headphone that would be nice upgrade without spending 3-4k bucks.

Ether C maybe? Zmf ?

Jul 15, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,714 of 6,418
Just looking for a close back headphone that would be nice upgrade without spending 3-4k bucks.

Ether C maybe? Zmf ?
Malevolent's reply: Denon AH-D9200
Terriero's reply: Denon AH-D9200

:rolling_eyes: :relieved:

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #4,715 of 6,418

Ether C maybe? Zmf ?
Take the plunge with ES-R10~! There's a few on classifieds

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,718 of 6,418
@Mansinthe86 or used Rognir with non-perf pads
New they are 3200 euros.
Similar for the ZMF Atrium 2900-3100 euros (I imagine a closed back version will cost the same).

The ES-R10 would be a Import. So on top of that price I would end up paying roughly 25% in fees with no local warranty.

I didn't like the Denon D5200 (headband is short, uncomfortable). So I'm not interested in the 9200.

😅

Everything from drop is out of question as well since I want warranty without returning the headphones to another continent and end up paying import fees for the repaired stuff.

So I would be limited to the likes of focal, Dan Clark, audeze and the usual big brands.

Hifiman is out as well because of QC.

Thanks the suggestions

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #4,719 of 6,418
New they are 3200 euros.
Similar for the ZMF Atrium 2900-3100 euros (I imagine a closed back version will cost the same).

The ES-R10 would be a Import. So on top of that price I would end up paying roughly 25% in fees with no local warranty.

I didn't like the Denon D5200 (headband is short, uncomfortable). So I'm not interested in the 9200.

😅

Everything from drop is out of question as well since I want warranty without returning the headphones to another continent and end up paying import fees for the repaired stuff.

So I would be limited to the likes of focal, Dan Clark, audeze and the usual big brands.

Thanks the suggestions
What sound signature do you want?

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #4,720 of 6,418

Never tried the D5200, but I found the D7200 rather uncomfortable when worn for longer. The headband of the D9200 is softer and wears much better for my, but comfort is the least portable aspect of a headphone of course.
Agree on Hifiman though.

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #4,721 of 6,418

Ether C maybe? Zmf ?
With Elegia and Noire you already have some very competent headphones available from the closed back realm, so it is really a matter of taste and nuances on what you want to "improve" on from your current ones. E.g. if you want more comfort than the Noire only the Liric might be better than that.
Personally I also can recommend the D9200, but you already eliminated them from your list.
Maybe a Focal Stellia or ZMF VC might suite you (I had them also, but only the D9200 "survived" them both), but that doesn't mean they are automatically an upgrade to you.
If you are looking for some more serious bass than something like the Fostex TH900, Campfire Cascade or even a V-Moda M-100, might be an "upgrade" to you.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #4,722 of 6,418
With Elegia and Noire you already have some very competent headphones available from the closed back realm, so it is really a matter of taste and nuances on what you want to "improve" on from your current ones. E.g. if you want more comfort than the Noire only the Liric might be better than that.
Personally I also can recommend the D9200, but you already eliminated them from your list.
Maybe a Focal Stellia or ZMF VC might suite you (I had them also, but only the D9200 "survived" them both), but that doesn't mean they are automatically an upgrade to you.
If you are looking for some more serious bass than something like the Fostex TH900, Campfire Cascade or even a V-Moda M-100, might be an "upgrade" to you.

The Elegia are alright . I have the Dekonis sheepskin stellia Pads and I use EQ in roon.
But they are not really comfortable compared to the Aeon noire.

That's why I'm trying to sell the Elegia. I prefer the headband style that Dan Clark, audeze and hifiman use.

The Stellia is 3000€.. zmf stuff is very expensive after tax and import fees.
A open box meze empyrian (yeah I know they are open back) would be cheaper.
But before I would spend 3000€ on one of these I would probably wait longer and get a used Dan Clark stealth.

I like the Aeon noire sound profile. Just Looking for even more comfort and better isolation. 😁
The noire are keepers..just looking what is available.

The liric are interesting since I could get them new at a discount (1600€ instead of 2000€).

But if they are not considerable better than the noire it would be a waste of money.

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #4,723 of 6,418
These two closed backs have been my go tos for about 3 months now, a lot of hours on both. (Stellia & P9)

They are a fascinating contrast and a perfect example of just how different headphones can be, and how fun this hobby can be.

You'd likely presume the Stellia would take all my time, being over 4x the price...Nay. The P9 is the only closed back under 1k that has actually held my attention (I also owned Elegia & Celestee, but booted them out when Stellia arrived).

Where Stellia is astonishingly clear, precise, fast, detailed, P9 is luxirous, warm, enveloping.

Whenever you listen to the P9s it's as if you already have a couple of whiskeys onboard. It's a bit fuzzy but like treacle. The P9 absolutely does do better with some tracks than the Stellia, imo.

Classic rock, or modern indie rock, from Zeppelin to Wolf Alice, i reach for P9. Somehow tracks with that momentum, driven by the force of a full band, just have more weight and carry you away somewhere on the P9. Think the galloping of Iron Maiden tracks too, that sense of unbroken pace.

In contrast the Stellia has these wide open spaces. It's quite an alert headphone, which is fantastic for solo vocalists, or EDM, but it also takes away some of the cohesiveness of music that relies on a full band. While detail is great, when it's this laser etched it can be a blessing and a curse. Vocals on Stellia are far clearer than on P9. Yet somehow more romantic on P9..It'd odd. Pros and cons.

For EDM the Stellia runs circles around the P9. With it's incredible resolution up top it imbues electronic music with a sense of sheer vibrancy that I've not heard any headphone match. That includes Verite Closed, Diana V2 that includes Susvara. I'm not kidding. I think for EDM these are perhaps the best headphone on the planet.

More people should try the P9 though, it's a bargain. It's coloured, it's exceptionally unique, and for the right stuff it really is a treat. It's not laser precise or tonally balanced, but it is reminiscent of watching your favourite band in a 2000 person, imperfect indoor venue, where the atmosphere is off the charts.

Just thought I'd post on what I think are the perfect two closed backs to own if you want contrast. The beautiful glitzy femme fatale and her grungey, lazy yet over talented brother.

Attachments

• p9stellia.jpg
    p9stellia.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #4,724 of 6,418
@Mansinthe86 lirics are nice, but have few points that can detract:
1. Cups size are a bit small. I have medium sized ears and the top of left one didn’t fit. Plus they are somewhat warmish overall.
2. Treble could be perceived as metallic
3. Tuning is good but quite intense, so they could be fatiguing
4. They are not details monster

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,725 of 6,418
These two closed backs have been my go tos for about 3 months now, a lot of hours on both. (Stellia & P9)

They are a fascinating contrast and a perfect example of just how different headphones can be, and how fun this hobby can be.

You'd likely presume the Stellia would take all my time, being over 4x the price...Nay. The P9 is the only closed back under 1k that has actually held my attention (I also owned Elegia & Celestee, but booted them out when Stellia arrived).

Where Stellia is astonishingly clear, precise, fast, detailed, P9 is luxirous, warm, enveloping.

Whenever you listen to the P9s it's as if you already have a couple of whiskeys onboard. It's a bit fuzzy but like treacle. The P9 absolutely does do better with some tracks than the Stellia, imo.

Classic rock, or modern indie rock, from Zeppelin to Wolf Alice, i reach for P9. Somehow tracks with that momentum, driven by the force of a full band, just have more weight and carry you away somewhere on the P9. Think the galloping of Iron Maiden tracks too, that sense of unbroken pace.

In contrast the Stellia has these wide open spaces. It's quite an alert headphone, which is fantastic for solo vocalists, or EDM, but it also takes away some of the cohesiveness of music that relies on a full band. While detail is great, when it's this laser etched it can be a blessing and a curse. Vocals on Stellia are far clearer than on P9. Yet somehow more romantic on P9..It'd odd. Pros and cons.

For EDM the Stellia runs circles around the P9. With it's incredible resolution up top it imbues electronic music with a sense of sheer vibrancy that I've not heard any headphone match. That includes Verite Closed, Diana V2 that includes Susvara. I'm not kidding. I think for EDM these are perhaps the best headphone on the planet.

More people should try the P9 though, it's a bargain. It's coloured, it's exceptionally unique, and for the right stuff it really is a treat. It's not laser precise or tonally balanced, but it is reminiscent of watching your favourite band in a 2000 person, imperfect indoor venue, where the atmosphere is off the charts.

Just thought I'd post on what I think are the perfect two closed backs to own if you want contrast. The beautiful glitzy femme fatale and her grungey, lazy yet over talented brother.
Thank you for your impressions. I'm a happy owner of focal stellia, too and I can unterstand you completely. I think the Stellia are another kind of a headphone for me anyway. Its a little bit like walking and flying. I listened to Focal Elegia, Radiance, DCA Noire, Meze Liric, Denon D7200 and its not that the Stellia are only a few percentage better in detail or so. Its really another experience to listen with the Stellia. This experience is absolutely addictive.

In Germany there is no possibility to buy the P9, years ago the warehouses were emptied and the sale price was about 400 Euros, but I think that the Focal Radiance could be a similar and complement to the Stellia as relaxed headphone with more bass. Sometimes the Stellia are too much and for Reggae and bad recordings not the best option. Thats the reason why I'm probably going to buy the radiance. The P9 would be more interesting because of the form factor and the better possibility on the go. The radiance are 'cheaper' and for me a better option as portable headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back