The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jun 26, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #4,636 of 6,384
Let me know if you wind up grabbing the Radiance. Curious how the two compare.
I am sitting on five sets of closed backs and I like something about every one, but...not one is close to being an all rounder.
The Elegia's and LSA HP-1's come the closest, but fall short.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #4,637 of 6,384
I am sitting on five sets of closed backs and I like something about every one, but...not one is close to being an all rounder.
The Elegia's and LSA HP-1's come the closest, but fall short.
I'm still searching for the one as well. Found my one open all rounder in the SR2. I think my next stop will be the newest version of the Gjallarhorn.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #4,638 of 6,384
@Mhog55 You're in the U.S., right? You want to try my Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH-40? PM me if interested. I bought these second hand as a barely 2-month used pair from another head-fier in February. They've been sitting in its case unused for the most part (I'm just not a headphone guy, but like to have a pair around in winter months). Might as well get some head time by someone who might really appreciate them.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #4,639 of 6,384
I'm still searching for the one as well. Found my one open all rounder in the SR2. I think my next stop will be the newest version of the Gjallarhorn.
I would like to try that SR2.
I have done well with open-backs as I LOVE my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. But closed back perfection continues to elude me.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #4,640 of 6,384
@Mhog55 You're in the U.S., right? You want to try my Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH-40? PM me if interested. I bought these second hand as a barely 2-month used pair from another head-fier in February. They've been sitting in its case unused for the most part (I'm just not a headphone guy, but like to have a pair around in winter months). Might as well get some head time by someone who might really appreciate them.
I have wondered about that headphone. Price is pretty competitive. And more so, used.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #4,641 of 6,384
That is incredibly nice of you. This is the set that you purchased from John, the one he modded? I'd definitely like to listen!

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #4,644 of 6,384
I posted my impression of ETA Mini Closed.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eta-mini-closed.963861/post-17017931

Overall sonic profile - balanced and neutral across the board with reasonable compromises in soundstage, spacial resolution and holographic feel of the sonic presentation. No obvious shortcomings in frequency response or rendition of music (other than the foregoing mentioned compromises). ETA Mini Closed is one of the most balanced and neutral closed headphones I have heard.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #4,645 of 6,384
FWIW, I find that the ZMF Eikon is a pretty good headphone across genres…
I often think of it as a less-detailed Stellia. You can find used Eikons for around $ 1,000, so not too much more the Radiance. Of course, if you have a tube amp that performs well with high-impedance cans, the Eikon will be a great fit.

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #4,646 of 6,384
It could be because those Kennerton headphones didn't seal well. Some reviewers recommend to bend them.
That's interesting, I didn't know that at all.

I think I may be a little bit of a basshead at the moment for headphones because the Lagoon is really pretty bassy. But I was so impressed by the LCD-2 closed back that I'm considering getting one. Ideally, after a comparison test between it and the two DCAs (Aeon 2 closed back and Noire). I was hoping to get one all-in-one pair for studio and travel, so it needs to work wired, via USB-C and wireless. The LCD-2 definitely doesn't travel so I'd get it for the studio and get additionally a wired pair of IEMs with an iFi Go Blu or Gryphon for that part. Anything below €500 with a similar not too V-shaped sound signature? Feel free to PM me as it's OT here. Thanks!

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #4,647 of 6,384
FWIW, I find that the ZMF Eikon is a pretty good headphone across genres…
I often think of it as a less-detailed Stellia. You can find used Eikons for around $ 1,000, so not too much more the Radiance. Of course, if you have a tube amp that performs well with high-impedance cans, the Eikon will be a great fit.
Another set I've had in mind. Aeolus as well. Thanks for the heads up. Too many headphones!

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #4,648 of 6,384
After two years I tried the Focal Stellia again after testing the Hifiman HE-R9, DCA-Noire, Meze Liric, Focal Radiance and looking for the Focal Stellia sound or another really good closed back. Two years ago I wasn't sure whether the Stellia was worth the new price of 2000€ (in Europe this is sometimes the asking price for a new pair) and had returned the Stellia due to lack of comfort.

Alternatively, I really like the Liric. The Noire is the most open sounding headphone, but too boring for me and with lack of dynamics. I think the system doesn't make a lot sense to be portable with the folding mechanism and the requirement of a powerful amp.

In generell I really like more bass, but the HE-R9 is too much. The timbre is really bad. The Focal Radiance does a lot right, but the bass is sometimes too much and for a asking price of 1250€ there was no 'wow-effect'. The Stellia has less bass, but hits harder at the low end.

The comfort at the Meze Liric is unbeatable. The clampforce at the Stellia is too high for me, but it helps to widen the headphones a little, for example with the help of the leather box supplied, which has a good width for this. I'm totally excited again. The bass isn't just boosted, it really hits at the low end. The Meze Liric has a stronger upper bass in comparison, but just doesn't punch as hard. The raised bass also has disadvantages for certain songs. The timbre is better with the Stellia for my taste. I think this time I'll keep the Stellia. 2000€ is a lot, but I think its worth.

btw: The actual Stellia has an improved 3.5mm cable. Not perfect, but much better. The balanced cable is the same. Except the Hifiman RE9 the build quality of all tested hp is really good.

The Stellia will complete my Hifiman XS. I really like the Ananda XS sound signature and probably i will "upgrade" to an Arya SE, but I don't know if it is worth and I'm happy in general with the XS.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #4,649 of 6,384
I'm totally excited again. The bass isn't just boosted, it really hits at the low end. The Meze Liric has a stronger upper bass in comparison, but just doesn't punch as hard. The raised bass also has disadvantages for certain songs. The timbre is better with the Stellia for my taste. I think this time I'll keep the Stellia. 2000€ is a lot, but I think its worth.
The Stellia will complete my Hifiman XS.
Great to hear you found a good solution with the Stellia! My main reason for loving the Stellia is that it does a lot of things well, and with a good amp it scales its strengths effectively.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #4,650 of 6,384
Great to hear you found a good solution with the Stellia! My main reason for loving the Stellia is that it does a lot of things well, and with a good amp it scales its strengths effectively.
I think thats the charme of Stellia. It's not perfect for every genre, but very very good. I was looking for a really good allrounder. I can understand, if someone has 4-5 headphones that the Stellia is not so interesting. I think that beside the good allrounder ability that the clarity, dynamics and punch is exceptional.

What is your favorite dac/amp combo. Actual I have a low budget solution with the Topping E30 and JDC Atom+ Amp. Is there a good tube amp combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back