The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 28, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #4,171 of 6,329
Sorry for delay - yes, energetic somewhat, but not as snappy as MSR7B. If you're good with overall tonality of MSR7B, then 2000Ti should be fine.

Yes, AWAS has loose fit. Not in any sense snug! If you're rockin' with Dokken, they'll likely fall off. 2000Ti has much better fit all around - the pads especially are very nice, I remember, as is the headband.
Thanks bud

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #4,172 of 6,329
A few pages back I had asked about opinions on a few closed back headphones. I ended up going with the ÆON 2 Noire and they arrived yesterday. So far I've been enjoying them. They seem to be much improved over the original ÆON Closed, which I sold a while back. These sound way more "fun" and engaging that I anticipated.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #4,173 of 6,329
A few pages back I had asked about opinions on a few closed back headphones. I ended up going with the ÆON 2 Noire and they arrived yesterday. So far I've been enjoying them. They seem to be much improved over the original ÆON Closed, which I sold a while back. These sound way more "fun" and engaging that I anticipated.

Now time to take a break from the forum before you find something wrong with them :wink:

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #4,175 of 6,329
Now time to take a break from the forum before you find something wrong with them :wink:
I've been here since 2004, no breaks to be had! Although I'll say that I'm 100% satisfied with the source and amplifiers I have now. Perfect combination of sound and functionality. Plus I have way too much invested in tubes for the WA22 :smile:

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #4,177 of 6,329
Hmm, if I'm spending that kind of money I think I'd get a pair of the Diana V2's.
Price matters for sure. They cost significantly less in my region and it was hard not to buy them with a moderate seasonal discount on top of it.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #4,178 of 6,329
I found the original AEON Flow Closed a little too dull for my tastes. It lacked dynamism and engagement, key components of a "fun" headphone. The AEON 2 Closed / Noire is the evolutionary successor, retaining (relatively) good detail, whilst boosting the musical aspects.

Moreover, Dan Clark Audio managed to take the already light and portable AEON Flow Closed, and made it even more travel friendly, thanks to its collapsible design. Plus points for that. :)

Anyway, enjoy your headphone! Stay away from the forums; the dark side of the force is strong around these parts. :wink:

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #4,179 of 6,329
Thinking of giving the K872 a go, as I sense they could be a more refined version of MSR7B. I know @Quadfather and @plakat are advocates, or have been. Can I ask for an elaboration of their features, especially:

- Imaging, layering, and overall timbre/tonality?
- Build and comfort?
- Do they in theory work well as portable headphones?

Thank you both kindly.

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #4,180 of 6,329
Thinking of giving the K872 a go, as I sense they could be a more refined version of MSR7B. I know @Quadfather and @plakat are advocates, or have been. Can I ask for an elaboration of their features, especially:

- Build and comfort?

Thank you both kindly.
I really preferred the K812 AKGs. MSR7 was good, but never had MSR7B

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #4,182 of 6,329
Ah yes, sorry - yours were the open back variant.
I had the 872 for a while and it just didn't sound natural to me.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #4,183 of 6,329
Now that I've had them for 6 months or so, I think the LCD-2 closed (I have the inverted-V version) might have taken the spot as my favorite headphones I've ever owned... super comfortable, good spatial qualities to my ears, a thick-but-disciplined low end with heft makes them very satisfying, plenty of treble resolution, and mids that are a step down from my HE-500 but still fine. They don't have quite the same 'live sound' quality that the HE-500 does but they each scratch different itches and I find myself reaching for these more often.

Very glad I took a shot on these.

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #4,184 of 6,329

- Build and comfort?

Thank you both kindly.
I did not use my K872 for quite some time… but to me the slightly warmer tone was more natural than the more analyzing K812. I remember imaging as very good for a closed back, possibly due to the rather large distance between drivers and ears.
Build quality was flawless, comfort very high: the share the suspended headband and the very spacious cups with the thin-walled pads with the K812. They plop onto your ears though, sealing tightly.
Like the K812 they can be driven by mobile sources rather easily, they isolate really well but are quite fragile (esp the cup suspension mechanism) and have a 3m cable… I’d rather not use the as mobile headphones, maybe as portable (they come with a sturdy but very big hardcase).

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #4,185 of 6,329
I did not use my K872 for quite some time… but to me the slightly warmer tone was more natural than the more analyzing K812. I remember imaging as very good for a closed back, possibly due to the rather large distance between drivers and ears.
Build quality was flawless, comfort very high: the share the suspended headband and the very spacious cups with the thin-walled pads with the K812. They plop onto your ears though, sealing tightly.
Like the K812 they can be driven by mobile sources rather easily, they isolate really well but are quite fragile (esp the cup suspension mechanism) and have a 3m cable… I’d rather not use the as mobile headphones, maybe as portable (they come with a sturdy but very big hardcase).
Thank you, very helpful as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back