The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #4,156 of 6,351
I'd have to say AWAS, to be honest, given your focus on the emotional aspects. AWAS has a beautiful mid section that works very nicely with mid/late 80s hair metal, which can be a bit strident in the upper mids (looking at you, Shark Island, Vain etc). AWAS is also smoother then 2000ti, which may appeal to you. Downside is seal can be hit or miss depending on ear shape and comfort isn't as plush as 2000ti - also depends on head size. Great cans, though. I'm often tempted to buy them again.
Do they have an energetic drive to them? That's what I liked about the Msr7b. It was definitely a fun and playful sound. I never found them strident in the upper mids, but they could get a touch heated I suppose. Is the AWAS a loose fit? I want something a little snug for those times I feel like partying to the music. Does the 2000ti fit a little tighter, or is it about the same?

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #4,157 of 6,351
Do they have an energetic drive to them? That's what I liked about the Msr7b. It was definitely a fun and playful sound. I never found them strident in the upper mids, but they could get a touch heated I suppose. Is the AWAS a loose fit? I want something a little snug for those times I feel like partying to the music. Does the 2000ti fit a little tighter, or is it about the same?
You can always bend the headband if the clamp is too loose. Also AWAS tuning is very safe. IMO needs a SPC to add that spicyness but stock is still very good just abit overly smooth for my tastes. Otherwise yeah I think it will fit almost everything well since it can handle most genres well and that warm midrange makes everything quite emotional.

AP2000ti is quite the opposite. Its mildly cold and quite bright, wants a very warm cable(I found the MSR7B stock 4.4 quite sufficient to balance out the sound) Even then its quite a intense listen since wile the imaging is quite close together its all very clear and separated. Not too sure what songs benifit form this type of presentation but its not really a listen for hours on end like the AWKT and AWAS.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #4,158 of 6,351
You can always bend the headband if the clamp is too loose. Also AWAS tuning is very safe. IMO needs a SPC to add that spicyness but stock is still very good just abit overly smooth for my tastes. Otherwise yeah I think it will fit almost everything well since it can handle most genres well and that warm midrange makes everything quite emotional.

AP2000ti is quite the opposite. Its mildly cold and quite bright, wants a very warm cable(I found the MSR7B stock 4.4 quite sufficient to balance out the sound) Even then its quite a intense listen since wile the imaging is quite close together its all very clear and separated. Not too sure what songs benifit form this type of presentation but its not really a listen for hours on end like the AWKT and AWAS.
I don't think the AP2k is either cold or thin. It has a very neutral mid with a slightly elevated bass and in the treble. It is less bright than the MSR7b with a more extended bass. Maybe the AWAS is a bit warm and soft by comparison? The 4.4mm cable with the MSR7b and AP2k is exactly the same one is it not?

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #4,159 of 6,351
I don't think the AP2k is either cold or thin. It has a very neutral mid with a slightly elevated bass and in the treble. It is less bright than the MSR7b with a more extended bass. Maybe the AWAS is a bit warm and soft by comparison? The 4.4mm cable with the MSR7b and AP2k is exactly the same one is it not?
Interesting I guess its either my chain or my ears that makes the AP2000TI sound bright then. Thanks for the info.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,160 of 6,351
Interesting I guess its either my chain or my ears that makes the AP2000TI sound bright then. Thanks for the info.
Sorry, I now see my comments came off as quite abrupt.

Overall I like a bright neutral sound and that's probably why I don't find them too bright. I had Sennheiser HD700 some time back and they were a bit too much. I have HD800S now and they are just right especially when paired with a good SET amp. The AP2k is less bright than HD800S and has a slightly elevated bass (by comparison) so that also balances out the top end more.

Anyway that's where I am coming from and hopefully explains better my thoughts. I do keep meaning to get a better quality cable for the AP2k and it will certainly be a copper one (no silver needed) as the one that it comes with is a bit poor for a quality headphone.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #4,161 of 6,351
I don't know if your ears function like mine, but I also was looking for "an all rounder where I wouldn’t have to apply an EQ", and read a lot of stuff, tried several cans and then bought both the DT 700 X and the Senn HD300 pro.

After a few days of hard listening and A/Bs, the 700 are going back (they were very good in most departments) and I fell in love with the Senn.: perfect and powerful sub-bass, good mids, perfect unfatiguing highs, more than satisfying soundstage, separation and detail (tried with a lot of genres, especially jazz and fusion and very good recordings). And I decided to stop there, or It'd come to a head(phones) of things.
Is it a compromise? Yes, we all know every choice is one, but I felt the HD300 Pro are the best of all good compromises in a decent price range.

That is (stated as a non-obsessed user) if you want to enjoy music.
If you, on the other hand, simply want to enjoy the rabbit hole, then I'm afraid I can't help: there will always be another pair that does one of those things better, but not all of them.
:darthsmile:
Hi.I think you had the v moda m100 master for a while.Can you say how the sound compared to the sennheiser hd300 pros.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #4,163 of 6,351
I agree with your point on the coolness of the LCD-XC- I struggled with the treble and at times with what I heard as harshness in the mids. That said, it was a matter of detail emphasis versus what I’d refer to as musicality.

However, with different source and amplification, I definitely don’t hear the Stellia’s bass as bloomy or bleeding. I agree with the narrow soundstage- no argument there, the Stellia is more intimate in its staging.

But that is the beauty of our hobby- everyone hears differently. Yet the many, many variables of source, amplification, cables and of course the recording itself makes it even trickier to compare and judge headphones.
I might add that the Stellia is real responsive to the cable that is used. I did not like it near as much with the stock cable as I did with my Arctic Cable Silver(name escapes me). It was a different headphone.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #4,164 of 6,351
I had the M17 myself recently, before selling it. It's a fantastic DAP and easily drives the Rognir with an abundance of headroom. If you do try this pairing, be sure to use "enhanced mode" on DC power.

BTW: Meze Liric is another headphone that sounds very good on the M17.
I am surprised you sold your M17. What DAP did you go with?

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #4,165 of 6,351
Sorry for delay - yes, energetic somewhat, but not as snappy as MSR7B. If you're good with overall tonality of MSR7B, then 2000Ti should be fine.

Yes, AWAS has loose fit. Not in any sense snug! If you're rockin' with Dokken, they'll likely fall off. 2000Ti has much better fit all around - the pads especially are very nice, I remember, as is the headband.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #4,166 of 6,351
I am surprised you sold your M17. What DAP did you go with?
I went in a slightly different direction and got a Woo Audio WA8, which I like a lot. The M17 was/is great, and I do somewhat miss it, but I have the Cayin N6ii/C9 and most of all the N6ii modules (alongside Mojo 1&2), and that's more or less enough diversity to satisfy me. Probably at some point I'll also get the N8ii just because I'll likely fixate on it otherwise.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #4,167 of 6,351
Hi.I think you had the v moda m100 master for a while.Can you say how the sound compared to the sennheiser hd300 pros.
Horribly, and totally uncomfortable. Bass was very very very redundant and all over the other frequencies. They had some clarity, true, and rather good separation with good recordings. The highs were not bad, but the HD300 Pro sound is what I thought and wished the Moda's would be. I sent the Moda back within 36 hours.
The HD300 are the best and cleanest v-shaped fun heaphones I tried so far, bass is rich but elegant and perfectly tuned and goes down all the way to McMurdo.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #4,168 of 6,351
Horribly, and totally uncomfortable. Bass was very very very redundant and all over the other frequencies. They had some clarity, true, and rather good separation with good recordings. The highs were not bad, but the HD300 Pro sound is what I thought and wished the Moda's would be. I sent the Moda back within 36 hours.
The HD300 are the best and cleanest v-shaped fun heaphones I tried so far, bass is rich but elegant and perfectly tuned and goes down all the way to McMurdo.
What are the highs/treble like on the 300 pros.I am treble sensitive so wouldn't want anything too sibilant.
For example,I have the beyer dt700 and the highs are fine for me but I couldn't stand the highs of the 770s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back