The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 24, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #4,141 of 6,351
Ain't that more likely just for the WM-1 A&Z Mk2 Walkman? Sony did join Canjam for every signature series, back then with the full suite of MDR Z1R, DAP and Dac/amp, again with IER, heck they even joined RMAF for the SA-Z1, they knew where we geeks gather and we're squarely in the bullseye mark for their products.

On that note the MDR Z1R has definitely become my favorite audio gear for music listening. The Synergy it has going with the WM1A is the final icing on the cake, nothing else I own (other than the IER) make me feel as satisfied, it feels, complete.
My T1 still serve as my daily, gaming, movie watching and what not, but IMO I don't really like it as much for music listening. Besides, I'd rather spare the Z1R only for special occasions.

The only regret I have is that I couldn't try driving Ananda with it as my pair's R side died due to Micromold a short couple weeks ago.

Do you listen to jazz genre? I wonder how do you compare your Z1Rs with your Z7s for that specific genre (my preferred genre with the Z7s).

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #4,142 of 6,351
I had the M17 myself recently, before selling it. It's a fantastic DAP and easily drives the Rognir with an abundance of headroom. If you do try this pairing, be sure to use "enhanced mode" on DC power.

BTW: Meze Liric is another headphone that sounds very good on the M17.
Made a blind buy of bass tuned pair of Rognir Planar (nice price deal) the day before yesterday and have been listening to them extensively till now.

Initial impressions compared to Traillii and Noire:
1. This is much brighter and crispier headphone that could be hot in treble region especially with some pairings - so it’s very source picky. It’s kinda strange that I was not experiencing this effect on a regular version.
The treble is also somewhat forward one sometimes.
2. Sub bass and low bass are here finally, along with punch and rumble! That’s great.
2. That -10db 300 Hz dip is clearly audible. Overall tuning is grandiose and spacious, but male vocals and things like guitar decay could suffer a bit, so not everyone would like it.
3. Stock pads are leaky. Can’t wait to try bass pads, unfortunately it’s a bit hard to buy them now.
4. Soundstage really feel like almost an open back one which I also liked on a regular version initially
5. Imaging and placing came as a big surprise to me. You can clearly understand where sounds are coming from not only in terms of depth and stereo positioning, but also in terms of height. Combined with great technicalities in response to time domain this brings you a true holographic experience.

I should also note that besides my brain adapting in terms of psychoacoustic burn-in the sound of Rognir is also changing probably due to used captone film in diagram adjusting under the supplied load.
Treble and brightness are settling down a bit, so will continue to monitor to see how it will go.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,143 of 6,351
Made a blind buy of bass tuned pair of Rognir Planar (nice price deal) the day before yesterday and have been listening to them extensively till now.

1. This is much brighter and crispier headphone that could be hot in treble region especially with some pairings - so it’s very source picky. It’s kinda strange that I was not experiencing this effect on a regular version.
2. Sub bass and low bass are here finally, along with punch and rumble! That’s great.
2. That -10db 300 Hz dip is clearly audible. Overall tuning is grandiose and spacious, but male vocals and things like guitar decay could suffer a bit, so not everyone would like it.
3. Stock pads are leaky. Can’t wait to try bass pads, unfortunately it’s a bit hard to buy them now.
4. Soundstage really feel like almost an open back one which I also liked on a regular version initially
5. Imaging and placing came as a big surprise to me. You can clearly understand where sounds are coming from not only in terms of depth and stereo positioning, but also in terms of height. Combined with great technicalities in response to time domain this brings you a true holographic experience.

I should also note that besides my brain adapting in terms of psychoacoustic burn-in the sound of Rognir is also changing probably due to used captone film in diagram adjusting under the supplied load.
Treble and brightness are settling down a bit, so will continue to monitor to see how it will go.
Well, this is a nice turn-around. But just to clarify: your initial test was with Rognir Dynamic? (I'm not sure if "regular version" refers to Dynamic or neutrally tuned).

On pads, I have neutral Rognir and rolled to Dynamic pads (ECL-01, non-perforation) and the seal is much tighter because they're angled. If you have bass tuned (by port) Rognir and then adding ECL-01, non-perforation (aka "bass pads"), you may risk too much bass....you'll have to experiment or ask someone on this thread who has bass-tuned headphones (cc @wazzupi ?)

Yes, truly a holographic experience, indeed. Best in class. Almost feels like it's getting to HD800s levels at times, which is remarkable for a closed back.

You're pairing with M17 in DC mode? That's a good combo, though I find adding tubes generally resolves that 300 Hz dip you mention.

Enjoy!

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #4,144 of 6,351

I found the highs to be really (really) crispy for the first 20-40 hours and then they calm down a bit as they burn in. I was headphone swapping during burn-in so this change was not just psychological adjustment from listening exclusively to the Rögnir planar (bass tuned).

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #4,145 of 6,351
Well, this is a nice turn-around. But just to clarify: your initial test was with Rognir Dynamic? (I'm not sure if "regular version" refers to Dynamic or neutrally tuned).

On pads, I have neutral Rognir and rolled to Dynamic pads (ECL-01, non-perforation) and the seal is much tighter because they're angled. If you have bass tuned (by port) Rognir and then adding ECL-01, non-perforation (aka "bass pads"), you may risk too much bass....you'll have to experiment or ask someone on this thread who has bass-tuned headphones (cc @wazzupi ?)

Yes, truly a holographic experience, indeed. Best in class. Almost feels like it's getting to HD800s levels at times, which is remarkable for a closed back.

You're pairing with M17 in DC mode? That's a good combo, though I find adding tubes generally resolves that 300 Hz dip you mention.

Enjoy!
I dont own the kennerton pads, but I do have zmf non perforated pads.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #4,146 of 6,351

Enjoy!
Thanks mate!

My initial test was with Rognir Planar neutral tuning version. And it’s very strange that it was too smooth with no punch at all.

I’m pairing it with all my DAPs - M17, SP2K, RS6.
Interested to listen to it with new N8II but I don’t have that amount of spare money now 😂
Will have to sell something.

Interesting fact - tuning wise the most relaxed sound with no treble peaks comes from Luxury & Precision W2 dongle. Beautiful portable pairing and I‘m surprised that such small thing could drive Rognir to quite joyful level.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,148 of 6,351
Are IEMs considers closed backs? Its amazing how massive some of them can get. The solaris is one of my top 3 now. Oh man and the Fostex TH900 mkII blew my mind the first time. Was sad to hear the hd820s.... but made me fall in love with the hd800s.
The Solaris get huge. They're not far off the experience of Elegia in size I find, remarkable bit of technology

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #4,149 of 6,351
Are IEMs considers closed backs? Its amazing how massive some of them can get. The solaris is one of my top 3 now. Oh man and the Fostex TH900 mkII blew my mind the first time. Was sad to hear the hd820s.... but made me fall in love with the hd800s.
Mmm, in a way, IEMs are probably the closed-back analogue of the earphone world, with earbuds the "open" variant.

Indeed, the Solaris is a fascinating IEM; it's the best-tuned product in the Campfire Audio stable, IMO, and they have a vast one, too. I used to own the original version, but I sold it after a year; I've felt nothing but regret ever since. :tired_face:

Feb 25, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #4,150 of 6,351
Mmm, in a way, IEMs are probably the closed-back analogue of the earphone world, with earbuds the "open" variant.

Indeed, the Solaris is a fascinating IEM; it's the best-tuned product in the Campfire Audio stable, IMO, and they have a vast one, too. I used to own the original version, but I sold it after a year; I've felt nothing but regret ever since. :tired_face:
Honestly imo the solaris SE is the best and if you want to get one that would be the one to get. I dont know why they did the solaris 2020 so dirty. Its no longer the super coloured very lively cinema in your hand sound it once was but alot tamer.

Since this is the closed back thread I feel that the semi new meze liric is down right amazing given the proper ampification. Its really sad that they are marketing it as a portable headphone when alot of the charm is lost even on higher powered daps like the DX300. Sure its pretty low res and you can even hear how it smooths over alot of the microdetails but the presentation is just so wonderful and relaxing. Very nice for accoustic music.

Also speaking of iems is there any closed back equivalent to the Fiio FD7? Personally I'm really entralled by how clean everything sounds. Sure the AWKT has better resolution but the low end presentation of the subbass is pretty different as on the AWKT its pretty much a pressure wave while on the FD7 you can hear the individual pulses.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #4,151 of 6,351
Lastly, the Celestee has a relatively balanced sound with a pervasively warm hue. Thanks to its smooth tone, it lacks the engagement of the Atticus and the AEON 2 Noire, trading treble energy for polished highs that are free of harsh peaks. The lower registers feature a slightly-raised bass shelf, the leanest of the lot. Still, there is good texture and thump to be found.

I'm interested in the Celestee ("smooth" and "warm" are descriptions I like to hear) but I've heard several reviewers mention its lack of soundstage. Did you notice that as well?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #4,152 of 6,351
I'm interested in the Celestee but I've heard several reviewers mention its lack of soundstage. Did you notice that as well?
short answer: no

slightly longer answer: none of the focals have a big sounstage and perhaps the celestee has the closest but what it does is spot on.

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #4,153 of 6,351
Nostoi - AWAS or 2000ti for rock and metal? Mostly 80s hair metal, quite a bit on the rarer side, and I know you know how some of these recordings can be.
I really did enjoy the Msr7b for these genres. You mentioned that the 2000ti has a just a little less treble presence, and a tad bit more bass presence, very appealing to me. At any rate, I'm going to add it to the short list unless you preferred the AWAS for this type of music. So now I'm considering the 2000ti, Radiance, Gjallarhorn GH40, and the T5 3rd. Any thoughts? The most important aspect I want from this headphone is emotion.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #4,154 of 6,351
Nostoi - AWAS or 2000ti for rock and metal? Mostly 80s hair metal, quite a bit on the rarer side, and I know you know how some of these recordings can be.
I really did enjoy the Msr7b for these genres. You mentioned that the 2000ti has a just a little less treble presence, and a tad bit more bass presence, very appealing to me. At any rate, I'm going to add it to the short list unless you preferred the AWAS for this type of music. So now I'm considering the 2000ti, Radiance, Gjallarhorn GH40, and the T5 3rd. Any thoughts? The most important aspect I want from this headphone is emotion.
I'd have to say AWAS, to be honest, given your focus on the emotional aspects. AWAS has a beautiful mid section that works very nicely with mid/late 80s hair metal, which can be a bit strident in the upper mids (looking at you, Shark Island, Vain etc). AWAS is also smoother then 2000ti, which may appeal to you. Downside is seal can be hit or miss depending on ear shape and comfort isn't as plush as 2000ti - also depends on head size. Great cans, though. I'm often tempted to buy them again.

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #4,155 of 6,351
I'd have to say AWAS, to be honest, given your focus on the emotional aspects. AWAS has a beautiful mid section that works very nicely with mid/late 80s hair metal, which can be a bit strident in the upper mids (looking at you, Shark Island, Vain etc). AWAS is also smoother then 2000ti, which may appeal to you. Downside is seal can be hit or miss depending on ear shape and comfort isn't as plush as 2000ti - also depends on head size. Great cans, though. I'm often tempted to buy them again.
Yes, you should they are excellent. :smile::smile::smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back