The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #4,186 of 6,351
I am back into my Elegia's today. I was finally able to pick up a pair of Dekoni Ltd. Edition Stellia pads. So today is sheepskin vs Stellia Ltd. Edition shootout day.

I started out with the already installed sheepskins through the whole testing playlist.
Changing pads, I have to say that just two songs in I am very impressed with the Stellia pads. They seem a little more "open".

Further edit: these pads makes the Elegia's a nice all rounder. Tomorrow they go head to head with the T5's yet again.:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #4,187 of 6,351
Finally, I've managed to get my grubby paws on this lovely headphone -

ATH-AWAS.jpg

I've been a fan of this headphone for some time now - I debated between the ATH-AWKT and the ATH-AWAS, but I settled for the latter, thanks to a meatier sound that imparted a greater sense of character and musicality than its bigger brother. The ATH-AWKT is majestic in its presentation, and it is certainly one of the best-resolving closed-back headphones on the market; sadly, it was a little too lean for comfort.

I had to sweet-talk my wife for this. =/

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #4,188 of 6,351

I've been a fan of this headphone for some time now - I debated between the ATH-AWKT and the ATH-AWAS, but I settled for the latter, thanks to a meatier sound that imparted a greater sense of character and musicality than its bigger brother. The ATH-AWKT is majestic in its presentation, and it is certainly one of the best-resolving closed-back headphones on the market; sadly, it was a little too lean for comfort.

Congratulations! I considered the ATH-AWAS when I ultimately went for the Stellia.

Looking forward to hearing more how you like them, with what, and comparison with, say, the Denon 9200- and perhaps the Stellia if you can?

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #4,189 of 6,351
Congratulations! I considered the ATH-AWAS when I ultimately went for the Stellia.

Looking forward to hearing more how you like them, with what, and comparison with, say, the Denon 9200- and perhaps the Stellia if you can?
Sure, I'll be glad to pen my thoughts on the ATH-AWAS with the AH-D9200; it'll certainly be an interesting battle, I feel. :)

Fingers crossed, I'll be able to procure a Stellia in the (near) future. All of my local dealers have talked about the supply cum restocking issue with Focal HQ; or at least, its Southeast-Asian counterpart. For example, the Utopia was backordered for several months before a shipment finally arrived. They reckon that the same timeframe should apply to the present situation. In all likelihood, the Stellia (and its brethren) might show up closer to late spring, or early summer.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #4,190 of 6,351
Sure, I'll be glad to pen my thoughts on the ATH-AWAS with the AH-D9200; it'll certainly be an interesting battle, I feel. :)

Fingers crossed, I'll be able to procure a Stellia in the (near) future. All of my local dealers have talked about the supply cum restocking issue with Focal HQ; or at least, its Southeast-Asian counterpart. For example, the Utopia was backordered for several months before a shipment finally arrived. They reckon that the same timeframe should apply to the present situation. In all likelihood, the Stellia (and its brethren) might show up closer to late spring, or early summer.
FWIW, pre-owned Stellias pop up here frequently. Perhaps one may show up with an owner in Asia.

I hear you on the restocking, it has impacted US dealers as well, though less so it seems.

Best of luck- if you were nearby I’d happily lend you mine for a week!

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #4,191 of 6,351
Hi all...

Put this over in the Focal Radiance thread, thought I would try over here as well. Just received my Radiance as an Open Box purchase from Headphones dot com. Love the build quality and the appearance.

However, I'm having an issue, as the earcups seem spring-loaded, so they are constantly trying to pull the earcups back into their normal position, rather than loosely allowing them to stay flush with the sides of my head. This causes there to be space between the top of the pad and my head, causing the bass response to suffer rather noticeably.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is this fixable? MatW suggested this was also an issue with early Stellia units as well.

Thanks for any help!

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #4,192 of 6,351

Oh nice, now sweet-talk your wife into getting a custom OCC copper cable for that maximum smoothness and relaxation factor XD

Personally for me AWKT is still my endgame 2 years later. There is just some magic tuning at makes it perfect for japanese electronic music to symphonic metal to acapella.

Well have fun.

Hmmm 9200 vs AWAS, I feel they are too different to be A/B ed. AWAS will never have the raw power and drive of the 9200 and at the same time 9200 wont have the smooth intoxicating richness of the AWAS. Very complimentary headphones to have in a collection me thinks

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #4,193 of 6,351

ATH-AWAS.jpg

Beautiful. If you haven't already, check out the AT Woodies thread (but then come back to us here :)

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #4,194 of 6,351
FWIW, pre-owned Stellias pop up here frequently. Perhaps one may show up with an owner in Asia.

I hear you on the restocking, it has impacted US dealers as well, though less so it seems.

Best of luck- if you were nearby I’d happily lend you mine for a week!
Initially, I toyed with the idea of getting a used Stellia; however, all of the units have already developed patinas of varying degrees on their headbands. Ideally, I'd like to get it "fresh out of the box", so I think I might just hang on for a bit. Plus, it gives me a degree of protection from the wife - if I bought another new headphone this close to my ATH-AWAS, I'll definitely be hang, drawn, and quartered!

1646332119180.png

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #4,195 of 6,351

Congrats, indeed. Definitely a headphone that I regret selling, though I did find the headband tended to create hotspots. But the mid-range smoothness....so nice.

Look forward to your long-term impressions.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #4,196 of 6,351
Oh nice, now sweet-talk your wife into getting a custom OCC copper cable for that maximum smoothness and relaxation factor XD

Personally for me AWKT is still my endgame 2 years later. There is just some magic tuning at makes it perfect for japanese electronic music to symphonic metal to acapella.

Well have fun.

Hmmm 9200 vs AWAS, I feel they are too different to be A/B ed. AWAS will never have the raw power and drive of the 9200 and at the same time 9200 wont have the smooth intoxicating richness of the AWAS. Very complimentary headphones to have in a collection me thinks
The ATH-AWKT is very much an acquired taste; it isn't as readily appealing or as musical as the ATH-AWAS, IMO. Nevertheless, it does excel in its particular niche - I have yet to come across a contemporary that features a similar tuning, and especially not one that is this highly resolving. It certainly handles female voices well; I played some J-Pop (Morning Musume), and the ATH-AWKT was quite the maestro with the vocal reproduction, texture, and separation of the myriad singers in the group.

Plus, the ATH-AWKT oozes elegance and class. It's certainly a keeper, if not for its sound, certainly, for its looks. :)

Beautiful. If you haven't already, check out the AT Woodies thread (but then come back to us here :)
That thread is dangerous. With my proclivity for wood-cupped cans, I might be tempted to hunt for some obscure and/or discontinued Audio-Technica woodies.. like the ATH-W5000, another beauty in a long line of exquisite wooden headphones from the brand. :eyes:

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #4,197 of 6,351
Congrats, indeed. Definitely a headphone that I regret selling, though I did find the headband tended to create hotspots. But the mid-range smoothness....so nice.

Thanks! :)

So far, I have yet to experience an issue with headband comfort throughout my various auditions with both the ATH-AWAS and the ATH-AWKT; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the design, to be honest. I'd be happier with the classic "one-piece" band.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #4,198 of 6,351

ATH-AWAS.jpg

Congrats!!! I think you probably know my thoughts on this purchase.

Dekoni Nuggets are the answer you're looking for. Put one on each side of the headband just before it splits. I also got a headband cover off Amazon that goes between the Nuggets. It adds a little extra comfort but not really necessary when used with the Nuggets.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #4,199 of 6,351
That thread is dangerous. With my proclivity for wood-cupped cans, I might be tempted to hunt for some obscure and/or discontinued Audio-Technica woodies.. like the ATH-W5000, another beauty in a long line of exquisite wooden headphones from the brand. :eyes:
To a certain extend I share that sentiment, although I'm rather immune nevertheless: most AT models don't work for me on either comfort or tuning, and often both. And while some people seem to think I hoard headphones just to look at them (the argument going along the line of number of headphones vs. number of heads/ears...) I only buy models that fit me on both accounts. So AT is mostly nice photos to me -- which I'm OK with, given their output in sheer number of models: would be a nightmare to try to keep up :wink: But yes, many do look good. Temptingly good even sometimes.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,200 of 6,351
Agree, I'm interested with AT's tuning, but sometimes it's hard to keep up, they have too many lines and variances, they are kinda "boutique" in that way I mean, I like that Final only got 2 version of their flagship, same with Sony, AT got multiple "Flagships", AWKT, 2000Ti, ADX5000, Woodies L version, etc. Of which none I can demo myself to get a safe buying experience, so I just kept to their tried and tested AD1000X for their ethereal Vocal and stay with it till it breaks :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back