The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 22, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,507 of 6,351
These are normally open but now they are closed....does it fit this thread????

HkkU3Kg.jpg
If it's closed, why not? :wink:

How's the sound post-mod, if I may ask?

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,509 of 6,351
I've a ATH M50 closed back headphone.
I want to upgrade with a hi-fi headphone.
My setup is little dot Mk3 SE and topping D90/ARES II.

What about, Aeon II, 99 classic, Elegia, sundara ?

Can't find the output impedance of my hybrid amp. I think it can't drive the Aeon 2...
E-Mu Teak

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,510 of 6,351
I've a ATH M50 closed back headphone.
I want to upgrade with a hi-fi headphone.
My setup is little dot Mk3 SE and topping D90/ARES II.

What about, Aeon II, 99 classic, Elegia, sundara ?

Can't find the output impedance of my hybrid amp. I think it can't drive the Aeon 2...
If you like the sound of your ATH-M50, the AEON 2 Closed or the Sundara will not satisfy you. Neither will the Elegia, unless you switch to some Celestee pads (to afford a heavier bass presence).

What's your budget? If it's sub-1,000, try the E-MU Teak. If you want a TOTL upgrade, go for the Fostex TH900 Mk2. Both of these headphones produce a similar signature to the ATH-M50x, only better.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,511 of 6,351
Well, I would have bought the original BT model, if it came with a USB-C port. However, at that point in time, the tech market wasn't fully on board the USB-C train yet, so it was (somewhat) understandable. Thankfully, the revision, added the one feature that I really wanted, alongside a slew of advancements. Most of my devices are currently sporting USB-C; the only 2 major standouts are my Hugo 2 and Mojo, with both utilizing Micro-USB connectors. My Mojo has been in a state of hibernation for a while now, so the Hugo 2 remains the last of the "old guard". :wink:

Speaking of differences, there are some minor ones, and a few major ones, too, such as the Quick Charge feature, the multi-point pairing, and the enhanced battery life -

1631126011816.png

Ultimately, this is a step forward for the enduring M50 brand. Can't say that I've been disappointed with the sound, thus far. :)
Interesting that you mentioned picking up a M50xbt, I just bought a Dsr9bt myself, which IMO is way way better than what I remember of WH-M3 sounded like.

Heck I think the DSR9 is the best closed back SR (Sound Reality) model of Audio Technica, I prefer it more than any version of MSR 7 (og, B, SE), SR5, or any of the M models, it has about the same amount of detail as M70x with the bass quantity of M40x, and reaches deeper too. It's IMO the most balanced of the bunch.

This thing is definitely a sleeper that didn't catch on simply because of it's high msrp, I remember only Jude paid any attention to it back then.
Sadly it's one of the earlier BT model of AT (a couple months before M50xbt I think), so it uses micro USB and only have 15-20h playback time, but man, the sound is just fabulous and definitely the best wireless headphone I've ever heard.

Funnily enough, as it's digital only model, the USB only for wired connection make it kinda future proof, as I just need an otg adapter, or a type c to micro b cable to connect it to my phone in the future if, the battery ever went kaput. As the whole thing works with USB when it's turned off.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,512 of 6,351
Interesting that you mentioned picking up a M50xbt, I just bought a Dsr9bt myself, which IMO is way way better than what I remember of WH-M3 sounded like.

Heck I think the DSR9 is the best closed back SR (Sound Reality) model of Audio Technica, I prefer it more than any version of MSR 7 (og, B, SE), SR5, or any of the M models, it has about the same amount of detail as M70x with the bass quantity of M40x, and reaches deeper too. It's IMO the most balanced of the bunch.

This thing is definitely a sleeper that didn't catch on simply because of it's high msrp, I remember only Jude paid any attention to it back then.
Sadly it's one of the earlier BT model of AT (a couple months before M50xbt I think), so it uses micro USB and only have 15-20h playback time, but man, the sound is just fabulous and definitely the best wireless headphone I've ever heard.

Funnily enough, as it's digital only model, the USB only for wired connection make it kinda future proof, as I just need an otg adapter, or a type c to micro b cable to connect it to my phone in the future if, the battery ever went kaput. As the whole thing works with USB when it's turned off.
To be honest, I don't think that the WH-1000XM3 and WH-1000XM4 sound all that fantastic, even for wireless headphones. The bass on these cans are muddy, and clarity is.. well, let's say, it wasn't the first thing that came to the designers' minds. Noise cancelling is fantastic, no doubt, and it's a very comfortable headphone for extended use. However, in its stock form, and on the topic of sound alone, I've not been wowed by the WH-1000XM4 (and the XM3 that came before it). With my own unit, playing with the EQ within the Sony Headphones app helps to alleviate some of its major tonal issues.

On the other hand, the ATH-M50xBT2 provides a more pleasant signature right out of the box. Bass is less boosted, and the accompanying treble section is also a smidgen better in clarity, prominence and air. Neither headphone is the last word in detail and resolution, but the Audio-Technica also comes in at a $150 cheaper. Thus, for the price delta, you're paying for slightly better comfort, and top-class ANC performance with the Sony. Some may find the trade-off worth the cost, but I'm surprisingly happier with my ATH-M50xBT2 (for general use).

The ATH-DSR9BT looks like a fairly interesting, high-end wireless headphone. I have yet to audition this, but I think I should. It is quite expensive, and that's probably the reason for the lack of interest; that, and the (odd) fact that Audio-Technica just isn't very popular around here. Case in point - the ATH-AWKT and the ATH-AWAS are both pretty good closed-back headphones, but they are criminally underrated (or under-discussed) on Head-Fi.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #2,513 of 6,351
Agreed I think WH M4 sounds pretty poor for a closed back. I'd rate it under 100 usd type of sound.
While the WF models tho, those sounds great.
All of the ANC equipped Wireless full-size headphones I've tried always sound lacking in one way or another, they never appeal to me sound wise, true that I've never heard the Airpod Pro max but that doesn't really appeal me.

Jude used to say the DSR9BT is the best, most resolving wireless headphone he ever heard, only surpassed by Beyer Amiron Home Wireless, of which I think also have mixed reviews? Carrying same name but now closed back.
Other than his brief mention, barely any YT videos of the DSR9BT back then, even now, nobody mention either it or the wired SR9 model, only M40-M50 and MSR7 models have any traction on head-fi.

Wonder what's the best wireless headphones are these days, is Ananda wireless still the one that's priced the highest?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,514 of 6,351
Agreed I think WH M4 sounds pretty poor for a closed back. I'd rate it under 100 usd type of sound.
I agree wholeheartedly. I recently tried the WF-1000XM4 - in its stock configuration, they sound a little less congested and muddy than its bigger brother, the WH-1000XM4. It has a pleasant signature that probably fits the needs of the general public. In fact, I was tempted to buy one for on-the-go use. Plus, they look very pretty, a stark contrast from its (ugly) predecessor.

Jude used to say the DSR9BT is the best, most resolving wireless headphone he ever heard, only surpassed by Beyer Amiron Home Wireless, of which I think also have mixed reviews? Carrying same name but now closed back.
Other than his brief mention, barely any YT videos of the DSR9BT back then, even now, nobody mention either it or the wired SR9 model, only M40-M50 and MSR7 models have any traction on head-fi.
Well, that's certainly high praise from Jude himself.

Speaking of Audio-Technica, they are one of the biggest names in consumer audio, but they appear like a niche brand on Head-Fi. It's really odd - the company actually produces a large variety of earphones and headphones (alongside other audio-related equipment). In fact, their most-recent flagships, the ATH-AWKT and the ATH-ADX5000 were released without much fanfare; chatter for these 2 headphones is almost non-existent.

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #2,516 of 6,351
I agree wholeheartedly. I recently tried the WF-1000XM4 - in its stock configuration, they sound a little less congested and muddy than its bigger brother, the WH-1000XM4. It has a pleasant signature that probably fits the needs of the general public. In fact, I was tempted to buy one for on-the-go use. Plus, they look very pretty, a stark contrast from its (ugly) predecessor.

Well, that's certainly high praise from Jude himself.

Speaking of Audio-Technica, they are one of the biggest names in consumer audio, but they appear like a niche brand on Head-Fi. It's really odd - the company actually produces a large variety of earphones and headphones (alongside other audio-related equipment). In fact, their most-recent flagships, the ATH-AWKT and the ATH-ADX5000 were released without much fanfare; chatter for these 2 headphones is almost non-existent.
imo the ath-awkt was impressive and well worth the price but the fit and cable just wasn't for me.

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #2,517 of 6,351
All of the ANC equipped Wireless full-size headphones I've tried always sound lacking in one way or another, they never appeal to me sound wise, true that I've never heard the Airpod Pro max but that doesn't really appeal me.

Wonder what's the best wireless headphones are these days, is Ananda wireless still the one that's priced the highest?
Shure Aonic 50?

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,518 of 6,351
imo the ath-awkt was impressive and well worth the price but the fit and cable just wasn't for me.
Everything about the ATH-AWKT was impressive.. except for those limp pads. They were so shallow, I felt as though my ears were physically touching the baffle mesh cover. I would have preferred larger, roomier pads that envelop my ears. Thus, the ATH-AWKT feels closer to an "on-ear" headphone, as opposed to an "over-ear".

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,519 of 6,351
Everything about the ATH-AWKT was impressive.. except for those limp pads. They were so shallow, I felt as though my ears were physically touching the baffle mesh cover. I would have preferred larger, roomier pads that envelop my ears. Thus, the ATH-AWKT feels closer to an "on-ear" headphone, as opposed to an "over-ear".
I didn't like the headband either, also my hair would get pulled all the time...

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,520 of 6,351
I found using 2 Dekoni nuggets on either side where the headband splits to be helpful. I then added a zip on headband pad to really up the comfort level of my AWAS. I tried the AWKT pads but found they weren't as comfortable as the synthetic pads of the AWAS.

The cable is kind of crazy so I up upgraded to an Audio Sensibility Impact SE cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back