The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 22, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #1,936 of 6,329
I like the 770 a lot too. Though I use them with the toilet paper mod because the treble is otherwise too dominant (imo). I played around with the mod a bit and experimented for a few weeks until I finally settled on a certain amount of damping. I think it balances them out tonally and brings out the midrange (vocals are really great on these!) a lot more.

I find it really hard to fault the 770. They have all the midbass for bassdrums but it's well controlled and doesn't crowd the midrange, and then you get some excellent extension all the way down. There is a smooth, flat midrange that extends seamlessly into clean treble without any grain or artificiality anywhere. And all this with surprising spaciousness and an absence of the honky "closed sound". The one problem I have with the 770 is actually on my end - recording quality is a typical concern with them because they're just that transparent. With decent recordings, they shine, and they do well with any kind of music that I've heard.

May 22, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #1,937 of 6,329
I find in their stock form the treble is a little unpredictable. It's not extremely bright, but there are some peaks within the treble range that almost seem to come out of nowhere. There are songs I'll listen to where I think "how can anyone say these are bright?" and others it becomes clear why people think that. In that sense the DT1770 is a little more pleasant; They're generally brighter, but with fewer peaks, so they're a bit more predictable.

And you're right about soundstage: I find them to be really impressive, especially for the price and the fact that they're closed. I think something like the Denon D7200 only matches it, and it takes stepping up to the T5P or Z1R to clearly best them. The DT1770 is a little bit of a step down.

May 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #1,938 of 6,329
Classics. Everyone needs a DT770 in their arsenal. Build is cheap, though they can take a good battering. Best velour pads in the business, too.
I didn't like at all my Beyer MMX 300 (I think that it's register is similar -if not the same- to DT 770), because I had claustrophobic sensation with them and felt isolated... Same happened to me with the Senn PC 350... Ever since I got here, I've tried other closed backs (Beyer DT 150, Sony Z7 and Denon AH-D9200) and I've never felt those sensations with them.

Another weird thing that happened to me with the Beyer MMX 300: I was using them to play Bioshock through my Asus Xonar Essence One and I could hear the FX sounds of the game (you know, the shots, the footsteps) but couldn't hear at all the ambient sounds (like the music at background). I tried the same game with the HD 800 (no, I remember today that was with the HD 555 I had) and I could hear perfectly the ambient sounds.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #1,940 of 6,329
I had the DT770 too, the 250ohm version and I too liked it because of its powerfull bassdrums, midbass and boomy bass like you don't know what hit your head so much lol. The only one issue I had with is the treble. It made me fatigue unfortunately. The only closedbacks I have so far is the Amiron Wireless Copper and T5p.2. Love them both and comfort is damn good too.

May 24, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,942 of 6,329
They're my go-to recommendation for sub-$200 headphones for basically any taste. Kinda excited to give them another listen again. I remember even the DT1770 wasn't a clear upgrade over them; I felt the 770s still had a better soundstage than the 1770, and on certain tracks the treble could be more well-behaved.

Do you feel the 770s are a better value than dt150?

May 24, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,943 of 6,329
Unfortunately I haven't heard the DT150. I pretty much stuck to this headphone in Beyer's price point because I was pretty sure they couldn't make anything to beat it.

May 24, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,944 of 6,329

Unfortunately I haven't heard the DT150. I pretty much stuck to this headphone in Beyer's price point because I was pretty sure they couldn't make anything to beat it.
Oh believe you me, they can defo stand toe to toe with the 770s :D

I just mention it because sometimes the 150s go lower than the 770s.

May 25, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,946 of 6,329
Any suggestions for over-ear headphones which sound similar to the RE-400 IEMs, maybe with a somewhat more "musical" sound signature? Budget around $200-300, used mainly for jazz, rock and classical (some hip-hop, R&B, and a bit of pop). Preferably comfortable enough to be worn for several hours at a time, since I'd be using them at the office. Would be willing to extend my budget for an amp or amp+DAC if the headphones need it.

May 25, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,947 of 6,329
Oh believe you me, they can defo stand toe to toe with the 770s :D

I just mention it because sometimes the 150s go lower than the 770s.
I had the DT 150s and I liked very much, althought -obviously- they lack the resolution of superior models, but they were a very good re-introduction to the closed back headphones, after my bad experiences with Senn PC 350 and Beyer MMX 300.

Jun 3, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,949 of 6,329
O.K., so I got a chance ot listen to a set of D9200's over the weekend. I can now understand the love. Not sure about long term build quality (my only long term experience with Denon cans is ~10 years ago).
Well, I've had them for about a year now, and whilst that isn't a particularly long time, its build quality is pretty decent, IMO. In terms of structural integrity, the AH-DX200 series ostensibly fares better than its predecessors, the Denon AH-DX000 trio. I've had my AH-D2000 for over 10 years, and it's still going strong, albeit with a few nicks and scratches. Thus, my confidence in the long-term reliability of the AH-D9200 (and its brethren) is certainly warranted.

Jun 3, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,950 of 6,329
It's been a couple of weeks since I've been on Head-Fi. It's rather weird, in my perspective, at least, to abstain from a community that I greatly enjoy interacting with. Plus, this forum contains a plethora of information on a(n) obsession hobby that has been a huge part of my life for the past 12 years, or so.

Anyway, without sounding melodramatic, I've been very satisfied with my headphones (and my gear) at this juncture. Currently, I'm using my Fostex TH900 Mk2, Denon AH-D9200, and my Audeze LCD-XC on a daily basis. I haven't actually found the need (read: desire) to try something new at the moment, and that's, apparently, a good thing. :)

I'm still looking forward to trying the Rögnir (if it ever hits my shores), but that itch to buy something has been quelled, at least for the time being.

Happy listening, folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back