The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 20, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #1,921 of 6,349
So what are generally speaking the top 3 closed backs according to headfiers?

I had a Neumann NDH20 but I need something more comfortable, does anyone know how the Noire compares? Especially curious about bass and if the listing experience is fatiguing?
I think if you are looking for the TOP closed (TOTL) you can look info about: Focal Stellia, Sony Z1R, Fostex TH900 MK2, Denon AH-D9200, ZMF Vérite closed and the new planar Kennerton Rögnir.

Look for sinergy with different DACs and AMPs, your preferred genres and most important: your available budget.

Good luck and don't tell anything to your wife :relieved:

May 20, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,922 of 6,349
I think if you are looking for the TOP closed (TOTL) you can look info about: Focal Stellia, Sony Z1R, Fostex TH900 MK2, Denon AH-D9200, ZMF Vérite closed and the new planar Kennerton Rögnir.

Look for sinergy with different DACs and AMPs, your preferred genres and most important: your available budget.

Good luck and don't tell anything to your wife :relieved:
Good list. I would add the Audeze LCD XC.

May 20, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,923 of 6,349
Untitled.png

Here we go again: 4th time owning them. Probably not going to sell them off again.

I have the DT1770, which I generally liked better, but I remember the DT770s being a fair bit more comfortable. I think because of the inner diameter of the pads? I find the 1770s don't hold up to extremely long sessions, hence the "need" for the 770s.

May 20, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #1,924 of 6,349

Here we go again: 4th time owning them. Probably not going to sell them off again.

I have the DT1770, which I generally liked better, but I remember the DT770s being a fair bit more comfortable. I think because of the inner diameter of the pads? I find the 1770s don't hold up to extremely long sessions, hence the "need" for the 770s.
+1. DT770s are great for all purpose utility. Sound really good too.

May 20, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,925 of 6,349
They're my go-to recommendation for sub-$200 headphones for basically any taste. Kinda excited to give them another listen again. I remember even the DT1770 wasn't a clear upgrade over them; I felt the 770s still had a better soundstage than the 1770, and on certain tracks the treble could be more well-behaved.

May 21, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,927 of 6,349
Thanks guys. Wouldn't a poll be helpful to get a top 10 or something?
I'm gonna look into the ones you mentioned. Sound leakage is very important so the Focals are not an option.
In the first post of this thread, you can find a @Malevolent listing of which headphones he consider the best closed backs. Also he put links to all the reviews or comparison made by him or other forum members in this thread. But, you know, each one has their ears, and his/her sources, DACs and AMPs. But you can use them as a guide.

I like the @TSelanne journey through a lot of closed headphones. But is just his opinion and he used them directly plugged to his PC.

I'm listening to "Pink Floyd - The Later Years" with the 9200s.... Uffff... Incredible.

May 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #1,928 of 6,349
In the first post of this thread, you can find a @Malevolent listing of which headphones he consider the best closed backs. Also he put links to all the reviews or comparison made by him or other forum members in this thread. But, you know, each one has their ears, and his/her sources, DACs and AMPs. But you can use them as a guide.

I like the @TSelanne journey through a lot of closed headphones. But is just his opinion and he used them directly plugged to his PC.

I'm listening to "Pink Floyd - The Later Years" with the 9200s.... Uffff... Incredible.
COMPLETELY off topic but how do you like that Floyd set? I’ve been listening to them quite a bit lately but haven’t gotten The Later Years. It’s not like The Early Years where there’s tons of new content, it’s mostly just stuff newly remixed with some new material. Though, I am a completist so I’ll probably wind up with it anyway. I also read the updated AMLOR is really good. I always liked that album despite 80’s sound and use of a lot of session musicians.

May 21, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,929 of 6,349
Untitled.png

the DT770 is one of those headphones that I will just always keep laying around.

May 21, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,931 of 6,349
COMPLETELY off topic but how do you like that Floyd set? I’ve been listening to them quite a bit lately but haven’t gotten The Later Years. It’s not like The Early Years where there’s tons of new content, it’s mostly just stuff newly remixed with some new material. Though, I am a completist so I’ll probably wind up with it anyway. I also read the updated AMLOR is really good. I always liked that album despite 80’s sound and use of a lot of session musicians.
I have only the "small version" of the album (12 songs), was a gift from me to my father and I ripped it.

I prefer the studio albums, but this give me a different view of the songs and is funny to listen. Anyway, if you are a completist...

I have the same sensation with "The Wall Rebuilt", a recopilation with different view of the songs for trully fans of them :L3000:

May 21, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,932 of 6,349
New toy got here early.

DSC01799.JPG

Actually, really early. Because it was shipped via Fedex I was expecting it to be delivered Monday. Certainly a nice surprise!

They sound basically exactly as I remembered them, though build quality is cheaper than I remember, but that might just be because I've been handling the DT1770 for so long. The DT1770 really has immaculate build, and is arguably the biggest jump from these to the DT1770.

May 21, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,933 of 6,349
New toy got here early.

DSC01799.JPG

Actually, really early. Because it was shipped via Fedex I was expecting it to be delivered Monday. Certainly a nice surprise!

They sound basically exactly as I remembered them, though build quality is cheaper than I remember, but that might just be because I've been handling the DT1770 for so long. The DT1770 really has immaculate build, and is arguably the biggest jump from these to the DT1770.
Classics. Everyone needs a DT770 in their arsenal. Build is cheap, though they can take a good battering. Best velour pads in the business, too.

May 21, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,934 of 6,349
So what are generally speaking the top 3 closed backs according to headfiers?

I had a Neumann NDH20 but I need something more comfortable, does anyone know how the Noire compares? Especially curious about bass and if the listing experience is fatiguing?
Are you asking regardless of price of admission as that may be a important bit of context.

May 21, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,935 of 6,349
Classics. Everyone needs a DT770 in their arsenal. Build is cheap, though they can take a good battering. Best velour pads in the business, too.

Most definitely!

Looking at the pads, and comparing them to the DT1770, for the life of me I can't figure out why the 770s are more comfortable. The interior diameter is the same, and yet I could swear the 770s have more room for my ears. Maybe it's because the 1770s pads have softer foam, and causes them to squish inward when worn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back