The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 23, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,816 of 6,330
The original LCD-XC has solid, well-defined bass, and it isn't analytical. However, it has a weird dip in the mids that places greater emphasis on female vocals than male ones. It is also very heavy.

The TH900 Mk2 has strong, top-class bass, and isn't analytical either (far from it, in fact). However, it is "v-shaped", so you'll lose a fair bit of midrange presence with it.

Have you considered the Denon AH-D9200? I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it checks a lot of your boxes, and then some. :)
Now, guys, let's count how many times @Malevolent has suggested the Denons to someone (me included)... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,817 of 6,330
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,818 of 6,330
The TH900 Mk2 has strong, top-class bass, and isn't analytical either (far from it, in fact). However, it is "v-shaped", so you'll lose a fair bit of midrange presence with it.
I don't hear mine that way at all. I was dreading it and it just isn't happening. My TR-X00 have a bad V, for me they're unlistenable without EQ.

If I try very hard sometimes I imagine I hear the slightest reduction in mids. But I can't decide. Surely, I enjoy it with vocals and acoustic instruments.

Can it be the blue vs. red or do we hear so differently?

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,820 of 6,330
The blue ones are tuned more neutral then the red ones.
Yeah but many people have said you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you had both pair in front of you. It's hard to believe they're very different but I never heard the reds.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,821 of 6,330
Yeah but many people have said you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you had both pair in front of you. It's hard to believe they're very different but I never heard the reds.
As have I. Only heard and owned the blue ones. I had th-x00 purplehearts and they taught me what a U shaped headphone meant.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,823 of 6,330

I found these measurements:

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/fostex-th-900-mk2-blue.php#gsc.tab=0
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/fostex-th-900.php#gsc.tab=0

The SB measurement shows exactly what I hear as well. Some elevated highs and I don't find the bass really that much boosted as people say. That's also what the measurement shows. If you look at the measurement of the red one (which I couldn't hear so far unfortunately) you can see quite some differences.

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,824 of 6,330
hey, guys. there was a huge event in our local headphones store. huge for me:D

me and 2 of my mates came there, i brought my tube amp. we ve listened to tons of stuff (all mrspeakers/danclarck, sr009, sr007a jp, sh-la jr, perun ls, abyss 1266 tc, diana v2, snorry nm-1, etc), but its not the topic of this text. if some1 is interested in details of thing listed above - welcome to ask.

besides the stuff listed above, ive listened to a combination of ifi idsd signature + cayin c9 + magicsound bionic mk3 (ukranian diy planars). and this is SOMETHING.

ifi is the best portable dac for metal. imo. it doesnt have a single major drawback, its a rather high-level dac overall and it fits metal perfectly. dense punch, solid sound. not sharp and not over-detailed at all, but with good textures and amazing dynamics, transparent. full-weighted body. no any muddyness, or rounded bass. very dynamic and clean sound with a dense and solid signature. the stage is slightly better than on average, with a fine positioning. the mids arent warm/emotional nor insipid/emotionless.

cayin c9 brings in a bith of warmth and emotions, makes guitars a bit fat and groovy (with idsd signature they were just dense, solid, full-weighted and fast), makes the stage pleasantly deep and the positioning/localisation a lot more precise. the sound overall remains the same dense, soild and dynamic.

the headphones match the combo perfectly. 1 of all: these are the best closed-back headphones. u can see dca aeon 2 c on the back. and they are way worse overall. i did own ether c flow for 2 years aswell, they are slightly better (with the mods i applied), then aeon 2 c, but still a lot worse, than bionic mk3. bionic mk3 are transparent and clean same as ether c flow, but have way more texture in mid, more emotional vocals and more precise bass. localisation is a lot better and more precise than in ether c flow aswell. but overall i cant say they are good to metal, cuze they dont have a fat, groovy and bassy sound signature.

and the combo of ifi idsd singature + cayin c9 gives all the needed. the sound of whole combo is very dynamic, solid, dense, emotional, grovvy, detailed, precise, deep, with amazingly precise localisation. not sharp at all, not over-detailed. not muddy in any mean, its clean and transparent. not rounded and slowed; its very dynamic. its fits metal amazingly, but aswell can easily play jass and other genres. the thing that it fits metal doesnt mean that its tough, rough and etc. not at all.

generally, the source combo is easily at a level the full-size desktop dac/amp combo worth of 3k+, and the headphones are kennerton thror/hm he1000/ether 2/diana 2 level of sound in closed-back form-factor. so its a portable setup based on closed-back planar headphones of a very high level of full-size desktop open-back headphones setup. worthy of 650 (ifi) + 2000 (cayin) + 2300 (bionic), $6k for the setup, but its literally the best u can get in the portable scenario, imo. as an owner of bionic mk3, i can say, that this is the best-matching source in terms of synergy for these headphones. and they are the best closed-back headphones (imo) (they can be either closed back and open back: there are removable magnetic closed cups, and headphones soung good either way without major drawbacks).

can cordially recommend it to any1 looking for such kind of setup.

and im going to get signature and c9 for myself aswell.

Attachments

• 20210425_214430.jpg
    20210425_214430.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210322_163216_387.jpg
    IMG_20210322_163216_387.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210322_163215_473.jpg
    IMG_20210322_163215_473.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,825 of 6,330
Looking for something warm and bassy for rock/metal to compliment/oppose my Sundaras, trying to keep it around $500.

Shortlist is
Focal Elegia
Fostex TH-610
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200
Meze 99 Classic

Any other suggestions welcome too, thanks!

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #1,826 of 6,330
Looking for something warm and bassy for rock/metal to compliment/oppose my Sundaras, trying to keep it around $500.

Shortlist is
Focal Elegia
Fostex TH-610
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200
Meze 99 Classic

Of these I only know the Meze. Definitely warm and bassy. A little too bassy if you ask me..

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,828 of 6,330

Shortlist is
Focal Elegia
Fostex TH-610
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200
Meze 99 Classic

I would add DT1770 Pro to your list for consideration.
The unusually thick sub-bass is great for some metal and modern rock.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,829 of 6,330
id get meze for rock and denon for metal from these.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,830 of 6,330
So i added Th900 II to the collection, came with what seems a decent 4.4 UK made cable and Dekoni velour, which are super comfy though i suspect not best for bass, also i find them impossible to wear the way seems suggested with little line facing me as you out them on, therefore the thin side is behind the ears, i find it best any other way but this.thick pads side behind me.

Anyways, it's really not what i expected, it is probably the most open closed can i heard and it seems selective as it only sounds best with well recorded music,otherwise it's too thin, a little brittle, D9200 seems more forgiving. Too early for preference, but i like it, bass is beaten by T5iii as that is just insane in the lows, by that, read, mid lows, thick, so sub is prob still best on TH900 ii, here there's no such mid bass thickness, bass hits in the sub regions instead, a lot more clarity perception in general due to extended highs, which i never found fatiguing as most have, its around the mids and low treble that on some tracks it's just too thin. When it likes the music it sounds awesome, music you can feel, touch and dance to.
Waiting for some leather pads today, let's see how it changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back