The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,787 of 6,351
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,788 of 6,351
Fortunately, they came installed they are a clone of the TH610 pads
Great, I couldn't stand the stock pads, you are supposedly having a thicker and more balanced sound. Enjoy them!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,789 of 6,351
Having the th-610 here right now. My first taste of a fostex. Leaking is not that bad with the volume I'm listening to. My wife doesn't feel offended. Quiet neutral sounding and pretty resolving and fine staging much better than the horrific focal celestee. I added some bass boost EQ. Though thw nagging question is what more does the th-900 bring to the table. I will EQ anyway.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,790 of 6,351
In the sub-$1,000 category, I'd give my votes to the Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back, the Dan Clark AEON 2 Closed, and the E-MU Teak. Not in that particular order, though, since each headphone does something uniquely well.
Awesome!! thanks a lot. And in sub500$, what would be your pick?

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,791 of 6,351
Great, I couldn't stand the stock pads, you are supposedly having a thicker and more balanced sound. Enjoy them!
What didn't you like about the stock pads? The fortunate, yet unfortunate thing is they came with 4 sets of pads, all different. There are only two I am certain of. The clone TH610 and Mad Dog, I have no idea what the other two are.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,792 of 6,351
Hey guys, is anybody using the ZMF pilot or copilot pad with a pair of TH900s? I'm trying to figure out if either one is a good fit.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,793 of 6,351
What didn't you like about the stock pads? The fortunate, yet unfortunate thing is they came with 4 sets of pads, all different. There are only two I am certain of. The clone TH610 and Mad Dog, I have no idea what the other two are.
Do you still have your 9200s? What about your TH 900 impressions? Compared to the 9200s in different genres? I hope you enjoy them a lot.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,794 of 6,351
Do you still have your 9200s? What about your TH 900 impressions? Compared to the 9200s in different genres? I hope you enjoy them a lot.
Of course I still have my D9200. So far my take would be that they would compliment each other very well.

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,795 of 6,351
Maybe it's the seal or the opening, making the sound too thin and delivering excessive crisp notes all around.

I came from the Z1r, so it figures.

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #1,796 of 6,351
I'm coming back to this thread after recently buying the Audeze Sine, my first closed-back headphone in 10 years, and I realize I very much agree with that point of view posted on the first page:

I haven't really got into in-depth comparisons with my fullsize planars yet (Avantone Planar and Quad Era-1) but there is something totally addictive about the Sine presentation. The soundstage is obviously very small compared an open-back but I love the sense of immersion. I was listening to live music yesterday and I was amazed by how real the small whispers in the audience were. A few years ago I tested the closed-back Stax which was discontinued and I had a similar impression: it was incredibly revealing, like a microscope.
Not exactly closed back related, but can you provide a brief description as to how the Quads and Avantone compare and contrast?

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,797 of 6,351
Not exactly closed back related, but can you provide a brief description as to how the Quads and Avantone compare and contrast?
They're close enough overall for me to keep both in my collection for the moment. Technically I think the Quad is a hair more quick and transparent, but the Avantone is more neutral overall and also more open. Depends on what you like, the Quad might sound more fun to you if you like a bit of excitement in the top end, the Avantone should sound more realistic otherwise (think HD600). But since this is the closed-back thread, I'll tell you guys, I think I prefer the Sine I purchased recently over the both of them hehe. I think there's something that gets me bored with open-backs in general, took me a while to notice it. But feel free to send me a PM of you need more details on them.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,798 of 6,351
They're close enough overall for me to keep both in my collection for the moment. Technically I think the Quad is a hair more quick and transparent, but the Avantone is more neutral overall and also more open. Depends on what you like, the Quad might sound more fun to you if you like a bit of excitement in the top end, the Avantone should sound more realistic otherwise (think HD600). But since this is the closed-back thread, I'll tell you guys, I think I prefer the Sine I purchased recently over the both of them hehe. I think there's something that gets me bored with open-backs in general, took me a while to notice it. But feel free to send me a PM of you need more details on them.
Copy that. I just read that the Avantone is brighter than the Sundara. I have a Quad in route, so I'll see how it goes. I do know that I didn't care for the Sine much at all. Appreciate the response 👍

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,799 of 6,351
As someone who has always had an appreciation for both closed and open designs, for me anyway, both are equally rewarding in different ways. I went through a phase where only closed back designs were exciting enough to me as I was really into impactful, tuneful bass. Then I would go back to really valuing the transparency and more natural presentation that a well done open back design excelled at. Personally, rather than owning several closed back or several open back models, I would rather have a good example of each on hand.

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,800 of 6,351
Copy that. I just read that the Avantone is brighter than the Sundara. I have a Quad in route, so I'll see how it goes. I do know that I didn't care for the Sine much at all. Appreciate the response 👍
The Quad is very nice. I had one on hand for several weeks that I sold for a friend. I was really tempted to buy it for myself, but I had a pretty full stable of headphones and was back in school so money was very tight. If I could have bought the Quad I would have as I thought it was really quite a nice headphone and I am pretty certain that with some time getting used to them I would have really grown to love them. Let us know how they go for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back