The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,831 of 6,329
Gentlemen, I'll start by whole-heartedly thanking all of you actively involved in this thread. It helped me a lot to come up with what I think I want.

Then here I am asking for a little advice about my personal quest, which is simlar to @Telix ', I believe.
Brief recap needed... I was used to listening to music through speakers at home and through IEMs and noise-canceling cans while out and about, and only recently decided I wanted to set up a desktop (well actually, couch) rig. So off I jumped on HQPlayer, on an S.M.S.L M200 + SP200 and an xDuoo TA-20 with some aftermarket tubes. Then the HD 6XX, which I loved (and still do for intimate, relaxing sessions), and revered as a holy grail for home. I thought I was ok, but you all know how it goes...! =)

So the Sundara landed on my porch this very morning, and I'm blown away by the detail retrieval, speed and stage width (not much depth, I'd say).
I'm in love, especially after convolution-EQing on oratory's Harman target. And the speed again. Reminds me of BAs in IEMs,

Anyway... Problem is, my neighborhood can get loud at times, so I'm looking for a pair of 'phones in the kilobuck range that can give me similar results (and some maybe) along with isolation and, why not, portability so I can just unplug them from my rig and into my DAP in a split second. Ok ok... make it a minute.

Basing on the FR graphs (similar to the Sundara but bassier, which won't harm), the nature of the drivers, and some of the comments I read, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Aeon 2 Noire.
I can't get to audition them though, so I was wondering whether - soundwise - you can say that my assumptions are right. Of course, closed-backs might suffer from a narrower stage, but I'm fine with trading some for isolation and comfort. And the weird looks while among people, probably! =)

Other than the sound aspect, the Noire should be ticking all of my boxes: looks (love the design), portability (that collapsing headband, holy moly!) and case, snappy planar sound, budget, and most probably comfort as well on my average ears and head.

Sow-uh... What do you experienced gentlemen think?
Speak now, or forever hold your peace!
Or just let me proceed to checkout without advising or warning me, and forever live with that remorse. =D
Thanks a lot for the past ideas, and in advance for the future ones.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,834 of 6,329
What about the ladies?

1.) Kennerton LSA-HP2

No particular order :

Quad ERA-1
AKG -371
LCD-2Closed & LCD-2X
Alpha Prime
DCA Aeon 2C
ZMF Verite
Master & Dynamics MH40 and ANC version
Ultrasone Edition M ( Small Cups)
Yamaha HTP-MT8
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6
B&W P7
Jabra Elite 85H ( Wired only).
Sony MDR 1A
AKG-N60
Final Audio Design Sonorous IV
Phonon SMB-02

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,836 of 6,329
Gentlemen, I'll start by whole-heartedly thanking all of you actively involved in this thread. It helped me a lot to come up with what I think I want.

Don't thank us, just throw money- especially at @Malevolent since he needs to fund his new Yggy :)

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,837 of 6,329
I don't hear mine that way at all. I was dreading it and it just isn't happening. My TR-X00 have a bad V, for me they're unlistenable without EQ.

If I try very hard sometimes I imagine I hear the slightest reduction in mids. But I can't decide. Surely, I enjoy it with vocals and acoustic instruments.

Can it be the blue vs. red or do we hear so differently?
Unfortunately, I have only heard the red version, so I'm in the dark regarding the differences between the different color variants of the TH900 Mk2. With that being said, the dip in the mids on my red version is quite obvious, especially once you compare the headphone alongside its more balanced counterparts, such as the Vérité Closed, the AH-D9200, and the Stellia.

I wouldn't say that it's a deep "v" in the truest sense of that particular sound signature. However, in terms of TOTL sound, it's certainly "v-shaped" - enough to drive away fans of a neutral signature (and strong bass), I suppose.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,838 of 6,329
Hey do we have a dedicated ÆON 2 Noire forum? Can't find it lol. And while I'm at it, coming from a Neuman NDH20, would this be a good alternative?
And does anyone know if the Topping L30 can drive the ÆON 2 Noire?

I believe that the Æeon 2 Noire are identical to the Æeon 2 closed apart from the paint job and pads. There's several impression/post about them in the Æeon 2 closed thread.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,839 of 6,329
Looking for something warm and bassy for rock/metal to compliment/oppose my Sundaras, trying to keep it around $500.

Shortlist is
Focal Elegia
Fostex TH-610
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200
Meze 99 Classic

Any other suggestions welcome too, thanks!
Campfire Audio Cascade. It's above your stated budget, but it's warm, has strong bass, and is an all-around "fun" can.

The 99 Classics is a similar-sounding headphone; a little stronger bass, with slightly lower technical chops.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #1,840 of 6,329
DOH! Too much beer. <DELETED>

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,841 of 6,329

Then here I am asking for a little advice about my personal quest, which is simlar to @Telix ', I believe.
Brief recap needed... I was used to listening to music through speakers at home and through IEMs and noise-canceling cans while out and about, and only recently decided I wanted to set up a desktop (well actually, couch) rig. So off I jumped on HQPlayer, on an S.M.S.L M200 + SP200 and an xDuoo TA-20 with some aftermarket tubes. Then the HD 6XX, which I loved (and still do for intimate, relaxing sessions), and revered as a holy grail for home. I thought I was ok, but you all know how it goes...! =)

So the Sundara landed on my porch this very morning, and I'm blown away by the detail retrieval, speed and stage width (not much depth, I'd say).
I'm in love, especially after convolution-EQing on oratory's Harman target. And the speed again. Reminds me of BAs in IEMs,

Anyway... Problem is, my neighborhood can get loud at times, so I'm looking for a pair of 'phones in the kilobuck range that can give me similar results (and some maybe) along with isolation and, why not, portability so I can just unplug them from my rig and into my DAP in a split second. Ok ok... make it a minute.

Basing on the FR graphs (similar to the Sundara but bassier, which won't harm), the nature of the drivers, and some of the comments I read, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Aeon 2 Noire.
I can't get to audition them though, so I was wondering whether - soundwise - you can say that my assumptions are right. Of course, closed-backs might suffer from a narrower stage, but I'm fine with trading some for isolation and comfort. And the weird looks while among people, probably! =)

Other than the sound aspect, the Noire should be ticking all of my boxes: looks (love the design), portability (that collapsing headband, holy moly!) and case, snappy planar sound, budget, and most probably comfort as well on my average ears and head.

Sow-uh... What do you experienced gentlemen think?
Speak now, or forever hold your peace!
Or just let me proceed to checkout without advising or warning me, and forever live with that remorse. =D
Thanks a lot for the past ideas, and in advance for the future ones.
I haven't been able to test-drive the AEON 2 Noire, thus far, but I have the AEON 2 Closed. Thanks to the new pads, the signature of the Noire is tweaked to better follow the Harman curve. If this is what you want, and if planar bass is your cup-of-tea, then I'd say you're heading down the right path. For what it's worth, I enjoy my AEON 2 Closed - it has sufficient levels of warmth, has good levels of technicalities, and has the speed and impact typical of planar bass.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #1,842 of 6,329
Don't thank us, just throw money- especially at @Malevolent since he needs to fund his new Yggy :)
Thanks for the suggestion. Donations are always welcome. :wink::v:

Sadly, I've paid full retail for my Yggy and Raggy - I'm down a large chunk of change, and I'm no closer to seeing them arrive. Sigh, the global supply shortage is really frustrating, to say the least.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,843 of 6,329
Thanks for the suggestion. Donations are always welcome. :wink::v:

Sadly, I've paid full retail for my Yggy and Raggy - I'm down a large chunk of change, and I'm no closer to seeing them arrive. Sigh, the global supply shortage is really frustrating, to say the least.
Yeah man. The news is getting worse. In the Nimbus thread they wrote they totally stopped production because they can't get parts.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,844 of 6,329
Agh! I bet so... And I would shell some, if only weren't saving like a hungry rabbit in a hole like most of you!
By the way, "Beer. It's what's for dinner." and its infinite variations are my "ticker quote" in the Alcohol room on a well-known sharing community I'm not sure I should name! =D
Cheers for that :beerchug:
And this:
DOH! Too much beer.
I hear you, man!
The 99 Classics is a similar-sounding headphone; a little stronger bass, with slightly lower technical chops.
As a 99s owner, I bet you'd be missing the "dryness" of the Sundara pretty soon in just any genre: the bass is just way too loose and often bullying on mids. Spoils all the fun, although it's fun on _some_ tracks. Very few, honestly. Just a newbie's two cents though.
I believe that the Æeon 2 Noire are identical to the Æeon 2 closed apart from the paint job and pads. There's several impression/post about them in the Æeon 2 closed thread.
Hm. Oratory measurements show otherwise. The Noire looks to be a more Harmanish-tuned 2C, which should suit my average ears/taste. Some reviewers also mentioned a difference in soundstage, the 2C having the wider hand here. *shrug*
oratory_aeon2.png

Any of you ladies... aheurm... gentlemen happen to stack the Noire against the LCD-XC, which was also on the opposite side of my radar? In terms of technicalities and isolation especially, as tuning-wise the difference is evident (Harman vs Flat), not to mention other aspects.
There's an intriguing classified listing coming right off of my own Country for those here. Two birds one stone?

The Kennertons... I don't know, they're really hot-looking cans I've been digging, but the graphs are a _true mess_. Can't say what's beyond that though.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,845 of 6,329
Agh! I bet so... And I would shell some, if only weren't saving like a hungry rabbit in a hole like most of you!
By the way, "Beer. It's what's for dinner." and its infinite variations are my "ticker quote" in the Alcohol room on a well-known sharing community I'm not sure I should name! =D
Cheers for that :beerchug:
And this:

I hear you, man!

As a 99s owner, I bet you'd be missing the "dryness" of the Sundara pretty soon in just any genre: the bass is just way too loose and often bullying on mids. Spoils all the fun, although it's fun on _some_ tracks. Very few, honestly. Just a newbie's two cents though.

Hm. Oratory measurements show otherwise. The Noire looks to be a more Harmanish-tuned 2C, which should suit my average ears/taste. Some reviewers also mentioned a difference in soundstage, the 2C having the wider hand here. *shrug*
oratory_aeon2.png

Any of you ladies... aheurm... gentlemen happen to stack the Noire against the LCD-XC, which was also on the opposite side of my radar? In terms of technicalities and isolation especially, as tuning-wise the difference is evident (Harman vs Flat), not to mention other aspects.
There's an intriguing classified listing coming right off of my own Country for those here. Two birds one stone?

The Kennertons... I don't know, they're really hot-looking cans I've been digging, but the graphs are a _true mess_. Can't say what's beyond that though.
I recently purchased the Kennerton LSA HP-2 and I have to say I couldn't even make a decision on the sound because the damn connectors kept smacking me in the clavicles. I listen primarily to EDM so do a lot of head bopping - mostly side to side. Maybe it's just my own particular build that is causing that, but that was a serious deal-breaker for me and I sent them back quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back