The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #1,801 of 6,329
As someone who has always had an appreciation for both closed and open designs, for me anyway, both are equally rewarding in different ways. I went through a phase where only closed back designs were exciting enough to me as I was really into impactful, tuneful bass. Then I would go back to really valuing the transparency and more natural presentation that a well done open back design excelled at. Personally, rather than owning several closed back or several open back models, I would rather have a good example of each on hand.
Absolutely

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,802 of 6,329
Copy that. I just read that the Avantone is brighter than the Sundara. I have a Quad in route, so I'll see how it goes. I do know that I didn't care for the Sine much at all. Appreciate the response 👍
I find that a bit surprising, I've never heard the Sundara but I understand it has the typical Hifiman brightish signature. If anything the Avantone might sound quite a bit dark out of the box, and then it gets better, but its treble is definitely lean. Anyway, see how you enjoy the Quad, maybe you'll just find it perfect for your tastes and then problem solved :)

As someone who has always had an appreciation for both closed and open designs, for me anyway, both are equally rewarding in different ways. I went through a phase where only closed back designs were exciting enough to me as I was really into impactful, tuneful bass. Then I would go back to really valuing the transparency and more natural presentation that a well done open back design excelled at. Personally, rather than owning several closed back or several open back models, I would rather have a good example of each on hand.
Sounds like a good piece of advice, especially as you always need a closed-back for specific use cases :)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,803 of 6,329
I find that a bit surprising, I've never heard the Sundara but I understand it has the typical Hifiman brightish signature. If anything the Avantone might sound quite a bit dark out of the box, and then it gets better, but its treble is definitely lean. Anyway, see how you enjoy the Quad, maybe you'll just find it perfect for your tastes and then problem solved :)

Sounds like a good piece of advice, especially as you always need a closed-back for specific use cases :)
Sundara has been called a lot of things as far as the timbre and tone which I don't understand as simply saying it sounds the closest thing to actually being there you will likely ever hear is probably the most accurate especially considering tuning in any direction really destroys that effect, the only reason the Sundara can be "bright" imo is because it has actually more detail than real life at the same approx distance the stage projects, most good headphones above $500 can give you detail you can never hear from the distance that the soundstage projects IRL. We really are spoiled but yeah the bass is rolled and low which is how it is IRL cannot remember the last time a sound actually reverberated thru me in any noticeable way, just buy Zen CAN with the bass boost + added soundstage from 3D it hits even more above its weight

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,804 of 6,329
Hey guys, is anybody using the ZMF pilot or copilot pad with a pair of TH900s? I'm trying to figure out if either one is a good fit.
I'm using the Pilot Pad with the TH900 Mk2. It allows the headphone to provide a tighter fit on my noggin. Without the Pilot Pad, the whole headphone rattles about when I move my head - and I move it a lot; I listen to dance music, after all! :sweat_smile:

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,805 of 6,329
Awesome!! thanks a lot. And in sub500$, what would be your pick?
Actually, since the Teak costs $500, stock, that would be my pick, too.

Other good contenders include the AKG K371 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M70x.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,806 of 6,329
I'm using the Pilot Pad with the TH900 Mk2. It allows the headphone to provide a tighter fit on my noggin. Without the Pilot Pad, the whole headphone rattles about when I move my head - and I move it a lot; I listen to dance music, after all! :sweat_smile:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Yeah, for some reason the Fostexes are huge on my head too. I use them almost all the way closed. For me the main reason to get the pads is the headstrap hurts my head. I'll probably order one of each of these, I have two pair of Fostex right now.

What's up with your Yggy? Any update? :)

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,807 of 6,329
OK, all. If I'm ready to go big and drop $1200-1500 on a closed back, what should I be targeting? I will plan on EQing, but general tonal characteristics I enjoy are:
- strong bass
- inky black silence with a strong "presence" to the performers
- i'd be fine with less "analytical" sound if it makes for less ear fatigue

Besides sound, all-day comfort is important, as I will use them at work.

Looking at Focal Radiance, Fostex TH900, Audeze LCD-CX.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,808 of 6,329
OK, all. If I'm ready to go big and drop $1200-1500 on a closed back, what should I be targeting? I will plan on EQing, but general tonal characteristics I enjoy are:
- strong bass

While I love the XC, I'm not sure I'd recommend them for your use case, as it's quite heavy. I don't know the others, but I'd also look at leakage. I think some of these do leak some sound, which you may not want in a work environment. My 2 cents.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,809 of 6,329
- strong bass

From those the fostex should fit the best

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,810 of 6,329
- strong bass

The LCD-XCs are good choices for the first two points (bass, black backdrop), it can have too much treble detail (which I hear as “harshness”, but it’s a debatable point) with poor recording or fast rock/pop to be a winner IMHO. Comfort can also be a concern due to weight after more than an hour or two.

From what I’ve read, the Radiance may be a great choice for you, but I’d suggest buying from a dealer with a good return policy in these pandemic/demo-less times.

For context- I have a love/hate relationship with my LCD-XCs:
- They are truly magnificent with well-recorded jazz/acoustic music and music with deep bass. The build quality and ability to block out external noise and give me “a personal studio environment” are great, and weight/comfort aren’t an issue for my more limited (1-2 hrs) listening sessions.
- Compared to my (open-backed) Focal Elears, the XCs are not as good as all-rounders. The temptation for me has been to sell the XCs and buy a more lush, euphonic all-rounder like the Denon AH-D7200, ZMF Atticus, Focal Radiance, Kennerton Gjallarhorn, or Sony Z1Rs.

However, first I’ll wait and see if an upcoming birthday brings my wish for a ZMF Atticus to life. 😊 I suspect the euphonic, “fun” headphone like the Atticus will complement the XCs’ more analytical/detailed sound.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,811 of 6,329
Awesome, thanks for the info. Yeah, for some reason the Fostexes are huge on my head too. I use them almost all the way closed. For me the main reason to get the pads is the headstrap hurts my head. I'll probably order one of each of these, I have two pair of Fostex right now.

What's up with your Yggy? Any update? :)
Let me know how it goes. I'm happy with my Pilot Pad, but I've had my eye on the Co-Pilot, too. :)

The Yggdrasil has been delayed - twice now - since my original purchase in February. The revised delivery date is at the end of April (along with my Ragnarok 2), but I suspect that the shipping date will be moved again.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,812 of 6,329
- strong bass

The original LCD-XC has solid, well-defined bass, and it isn't analytical. However, it has a weird dip in the mids that places greater emphasis on female vocals than male ones. It is also very heavy.

The TH900 Mk2 has strong, top-class bass, and isn't analytical either (far from it, in fact). However, it is "v-shaped", so you'll lose a fair bit of midrange presence with it.

Have you considered the Denon AH-D9200? I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it checks a lot of your boxes, and then some. :)

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,813 of 6,329
The original LCD-XC has solid, well-defined bass, and it isn't analytical. However, it has a weird dip in the mids that places greater emphasis on female vocals than male ones. It is also very heavy.

The TH900 Mk2 has strong, top-class bass, and isn't analytical either (far from it, in fact). However, it is "v-shaped", so you'll lose a fair bit of midrange presence with it.

Have you considered the Denon AH-D9200? I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it checks a lot of your boxes, and then some. :)
Not opposed to it at all. I have a lot of love for my AH-D2000!!

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,814 of 6,329
Audeze LCD-XC: heavy
Fostex TH900mk2: 'semi closed'; leak relatively more then the other options; stock pads give some over-emphasis on highs
Focal Radiance: should be good, perhaps the soundstage is a bit too small? (I only had 2 other closed-back Focals and both have a smallish soundstage)

Other considerations:
DCA æon 2 noir
Kennerton Gjällarhorn
Beyerdynamic T5

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,815 of 6,329
- strong bass

I'd think the ZMF Eikon would fit your tastes. Of the headphones I have it's the closest to those 3. Largely neutral but never fatiguing, excellent bass and sub-bass and a bit mid-forward which gives vocals more presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back