The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,456 of 6,351
An update for anyone who's interested in the Kennerton Rögnir (Kennerton's new closed-back planar flagship) -

What price will the Rögnir cost?
2850 Euros. It is cheaper than Thror, and a bit more expensive than Thekk.

When will it be released?
We wanted to do it at the end of January. But we got a little excited. It will probably happen a little later, in the middle or end of February. I'll try to explain why that is. Rognir already exists. But very few of them are made. And we need more time to make more in stock so as not to offend any of our distributors.

When will we have a picture of the new carbon driver of the Rögnir, with the new membrane?
I think the driver and diaphragm image from Thror or Thekk would be fine for this. Externally, you won't notice any difference. The main difference is in the diaphragm material itself and in its thickness. Let me not publish more specific data yet. I'm sorry, but there is something in this data that I don't want to share with the competitors. I respect them, but I don't really want to help them...

Finally, will there be an option to have a cheaper Rögnir headphone equipped with a stock "non Custom" (less luxurious) cable, like the one currently fitted to the Thekk and the Wodan in stock, and which is already a very good base cable?
Our idea is that we offer Rognir with a great cable that was designed and built specifically to work together and provide perfect synergy. And we do not want to offer the Rognir with a simpler cable that will sound inferior. In that case someone will be able to say that they are not happy with the sound. And in that case someone will buy cables from the competitors. And I want the customer to get the best set possible at once. Of course, in this case I will leave little chance for third-party cable manufacturers. But then again, I respect them, but I want to earn my own money on cables, too. Why not, right?

The original post can be found here.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,457 of 6,351
Yikes... expensive set of headphones. Hope they sound good! Good thing there’s more information about them since I sent them a message but never received a reply.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,458 of 6,351
Yikes... expensive set of headphones. Hope they sound good! Good thing there’s more information about them since I sent them a message but never received a reply.
If you've contacted them recently (end of December, early January), your email may be stuck in a backlog, as the folks at Kennerton were away on holiday leave. You should try reaching out to them again. The company representatives are active on Head-Fi.

In any case, the Rögnir is expensive, but it's still a fair bit lower than the Hifiman HE-R10P. Converted to USD, the Rögnir is priced at approximately $3,450; the HE-R10P, on the other hand, is priced at a whopping $5,500!

These 2 planar flagships are set to duke it out for title of the best closed-back planar in 2021. Exciting times ahead. :)

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,459 of 6,351
If you've contacted them recently (end of December, early January), your email may be stuck in a backlog, as the folks at Kennerton were away on holiday leave. You should try reaching out to them again. The company representatives are active on Head-Fi.

In any case, the Rögnir is expensive, but it's still a fair bit lower than the Hifiman HE-R10P. Converted to USD, the Rögnir is priced at approximately $3,450; the HE-R10P, on the other hand, is priced at a whopping $5,500!

These 2 planar flagships are set to duke it out for title of the best closed-back planar in 2021. Exciting times ahead. :)
I actually left them a message on messenger and my message was left on seen. I kind of given up but that statement above answers all my questions. Just can’t wait for the reviews!

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,460 of 6,351

I'm still here!!! I have not stopped entering because of 9200s (maybe some of you supposed that :smile: ) was just a problem with my internet provider (have no internet connection from 8 of january to 18 of january... motivation to suicide to some... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

I found a new way to listen music with my new Ikea Pöang that my wife gave me for christmas. Just sitting with a lot of comfort there without any distractions (only lacks the chair to stand my feet, that I will buy soon).

@Malevolent, are you going to buy the Rögnir just when they will be released? I will hope a comparison against your other TOTLs (Z1R, 9200s, VCs... :relaxed::beerchug:) I'm so happy to be here again and find new Rögnir info :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #1,461 of 6,351
Yup, I had the same reaction, albeit it has only been a month or two. To some degree, my other headphones are now like 'trips' usually leading back home to the AH-D9200. It has also helped me appreciate the Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, and Sony MDR-Z1R in a new way.
That's the way it has to be, imo.
The D9200 hasn't blown out my other headphones, except the D7200.
Since i got the D9200, i've more rotation between them all.
Albeit the Era-1 is still my number 1. :)
But i do listen to the SEM5 more often now in rotation with the D9200.

I appreciate them all for various reasons.

Keep listening to good music and stay safe. :L3000:
Chris
Same happens to me. I found with the 9200s some aspects of the Senn HD 800 and others of the Sony Z7, and sometimes (when I'm in a special mood or with certain albums or genres) I think that the 9200s are the endgame, the destination of the audiophile sick :wink: But, other days, when I'm enjoying the Z7s or the HD 800s, like you both, I appreciate the particular signature of them :L3000:

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #1,462 of 6,351
I'm still here!!! I have not stopped entering because of 9200s (maybe some of you supposed that :smile: ) was just a problem with my internet provider (have no internet connection from 8 of january to 18 of january... motivation to suicide to some... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

I found a new way to listen music with my new Ikea Pöang that my wife gave me for christmas. Just sitting with a lot of comfort there without any distractions (only lacks the chair to stand my feet, that I will buy soon).

@Malevolent, are you going to buy the Rögnir just when they will be released? I will hope a comparison against your other TOTLs (Z1R, 9200s, VCs... :relaxed::beerchug:) I'm so happy to be here again and find new Rögnir info :L3000:
Welcome back, my friend! You were missed. I thought that you were enjoying your AH-D9200 so much, you completely forgot about us! :joy:

About the Rögnir, I am thinking of getting it early, but my wife has not given the green light to go ahead just yet. I'm about to upgrade my desktop DAC and amplifier combo, so I might have to wait for a little while before I'm able to plonk nearly 3,000 Euros on (yet) another pair of headphones. My wife will really throw my stuff out of the window if I did! :sweat_smile:

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,463 of 6,351
Welcome back, my friend! You were missed. I thought that you were enjoying your AH-D9200 so much, you completely forgot about us! :joy:

About the Rögnir, I am thinking of getting it early, but my wife has not given the green light to go ahead just yet. I'm about to upgrade my desktop DAC and amplifier combo, so I might have to wait for a little while before I'm able to plonk nearly 3,000 Euros on (yet) another pair of headphones. My wife will really throw my stuff out of the window if I did! :sweat_smile:
If your wife do that, I'll be in the street collecting your goodies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,464 of 6,351
Looks like a new closed-back Focal headphone will be released shortly - the Focal Celestee.

1611428386775.png

It's a better-looking Elegia, IMO. This might replace the Elegia, and serve as the mid-tier closed-back offering in Focal's lineup.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,465 of 6,351
Looks like a new closed-back Focal headphone will be released shortly - the Focal Celestee.

It's a better-looking Elegia, IMO. This might replace the Elegia, and serve as the mid-tier closed-back offering in Focal's lineup.
I’m pretty excited to learn more about these. A lot of mixed reviews kept me away from the Elegia but I love Focal’s aesthetic. I just hope its kept under $1k.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,466 of 6,351

1611428386775.png

Closed back Clear?
Might be possible, i guess.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #1,467 of 6,351
I’m pretty excited to learn more about these. A lot of mixed reviews kept me away from the Elegia but I love Focal’s aesthetic. I just hope its kept under $1k.
I agree - Focal's headphones are aesthetically pleasant, regardless of the price range the product is tagged to. For example, despite being the lowest-tiered headphone in Focal's stable, the Elegia looks good and is well-built, too. The Celestee takes things up a notch, with a slightly more refined color scheme in rose gold and black. I'm hoping that it is priced closer to $1,000.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,469 of 6,351
Does anyone here have a feeling how the following headphones compare, both in sound and isolation?
- focal elegia
- dan clark audio aeon 2 closed
- beyerdynamic t5p

For me the Aeon 2C was the best sounding and the most isolating out of the three. I however owned the T5p gen 1 a year or so before I heard the Elegia and the Aeon 2c.

I could not get a proper seal with the Elegia and no matter what I did it sounded like ass. I even tried the dekoni sheepskins.

I did not like the T5p gen 1 at all. It was boring and I sold it quickly.

The Elegia had detail and dynamics and clearly a capable driver but the tone was horrible due to the lack of seal.

The Aeon 2c was very good most of what the major reviewers have said rings true in terms of a midbass bump and solid across the frequency spectrum. Obviously the build is next level and I found it did an excellent job sealing around the ear and providing passive isolation. I preferred it with no tuning filters as I felt the filters muted the dynamics and detail a bit. Dynamics are not it's strength.

In the end though I preferred the LSA HP2. The LSA HP2 however needed headband bending and a pad swap to achieve a proper seal for me but it was what I had hoped to get from the Elegia. Speed, dynamics, detail with bass extension.

With my poor experiences with the Elegia and T5p Gen1 I'm not sure I'm the guy to answer your questions but these were my experiences.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,470 of 6,351
For me the Aeon 2C was the best sounding and the most isolating out of the three. I however owned the T5p gen 1 a year or so before I heard the Elegia and the Aeon 2c.

I could not get a proper seal with the Elegia and no matter what I did it sounded like ass. I even tried the dekoni sheepskins.

I did not like the T5p gen 1 at all. It was boring and I sold it quickly.

The Elegia had detail and dynamics and clearly a capable driver but the tone was horrible due to the lack of seal.

The Aeon 2c was very good most of what the major reviewers have said rings true in terms of a midbass bump and solid across the frequency spectrum. Obviously the build is next level and I found it did an excellent job sealing around the ear and providing passive isolation. I preferred it with no tuning filters as I felt the filters muted the dynamics and detail a bit. Dynamics are not it's strength.

In the end though I preferred the LSA HP2. The LSA HP2 however needed headband bending and a pad swap to achieve a proper seal for me but it was what I had hoped to get from the Elegia. Speed, dynamics, detail with bass extension.

With my poor experiences with the Elegia and T5p Gen1 I'm not sure I'm the guy to answer your questions but these were my experiences.
I probably sound like a broken record, but in that price bracket for closed cans I’d recommend looking at the Shure SRH-1540 and consider spending the extra budget (if you have $ 700-800 to spend) on an aftermarket cable. Fantastic comfort, good tonality/clarity, and solid build quality. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back