The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,471 of 6,418
Has anyone compared or owned both the aeon 2c and the ether c flow 1.1 and can share their thoughts?

I'm looking for a comfortable, more neutral closed back to compliment/give me something different to the verite closed that I own.

Verite is good for sitting down to enjoy the music but I find it a bit to relaxing to wear while working; I used to own an aeon flow open (v1) for this purpose but sold it to fund other upgrades.

Thankyou

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,472 of 6,418
Has anyone compared or owned both the aeon 2c and the ether c flow 1.1 and can share their thoughts?

I'm looking for a comfortable, more neutral closed back to compliment/give me something different to the verite closed that I own.

Verite is good for sitting down to enjoy the music but I find it a bit to relaxing to wear while working; I used to own an aeon flow open (v1) for this purpose but sold it to fund other upgrades.

Thankyou

VC too relaxing? You mean too intense? Id love to get my hands on one to try, they look stunning

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,474 of 6,418

Thankyou
What do you mean with "to relaxing to wear"?
Do you need a hp with tighter grip?
Or is the sound too relaxed for you?

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,476 of 6,418
Does anyone here have a feeling how the following headphones compare, both in sound and isolation?
- focal elegia
- dan clark audio aeon 2 closed
- beyerdynamic t5p
I have the Elegia and the AEON 2 Closed, and I used to own the T5p (2nd Generation).

Here's my short take on these headphones -

Focal Elegia: The leanest sounding of the 3. It has a light but well-layered bass section, with good articulation and detail throughout its sound. There is a slight hint of warmth, but nothing too egregious. Treble is present, with good sparkle and definition. Unfortunately, if you're looking for excitement, the Elegia is also the least engaging in this comparison. Isolation is good, but the AEON 2 Closed is slightly better.

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed: A strong mid-bass hump lends the headphone a touch of body and character - it is musical and engaging, coupled with decent levels of detail. The AEON 2 Closed is also the most expressive in vocal reproduction, with a sense of potency and lushness that's lacking in the other 2 headphones. Overall, my favorite of the 3. Isolation is the best of the lot.

Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation): This is the most polarizing headphone in the bunch, IMO, with a "v-shaped" sound characterized by a combination of a strong and robust low-end presentation and a brilliant treble section. The highs are its biggest issue, as it tends to stray into sibilant territory. The midrange is recessed, thus vocals lose a sense of prominence. Isolation is probably the weakest of the 3.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,477 of 6,418

Thankyou
The AEON 2 Closed is more engaging and musical - it has greater levels of warmth, with a robust bass presentation that lends your tracks a kick in the bassline. It is not the most detailed headphone (but it's far from the worst in the top-tier headphone space), but it's a great fit for a variety of music, especially ones that require a potent low-end section (e.g. EDM, modern Pop).

On the other hand, the Ether C Flow 1.1 loses a few points in the engagement category, but gains in overall resolution; micro-detail retrieval is quite superb on the Dan Clark Audio flagship. It is also the more neutral-sounding headphone, with good tonal balance.

Essentially, if you are looking for neutrality, and these are the only 2 headphones within your sights, the Ether C Flow 1.1 wins by a country mile - it is also a few rungs ahead of the AEON 2 Closed in resolving capabilities. However, if you're in the market for a fun headphone that is also portable, the AEON 2 Closed is a great choice; it's probably one of my first picks, too.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,479 of 6,418
I've made my decision: got a pair of aeon 2 noire incoming :D
I was thinking of selling my regular AEON 2 Closed (A2C) and getting the AEON 2 Noire, but in the end, I think I'll just be getting the perforated pads to "transform" my A2C into a "non-black" Noire. :wink:

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,480 of 6,418
Here's some press releases concerning the new Focal Celestee -

Audioholics
Forbes
Headphones.com

It is priced well at $990. If this fixes some of the shortcomings of the Elegia, it is a winner, in my book.

Plus, it looks really nice, too. Probably the best looking Focal in the lineup, IMO! :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,481 of 6,418
Here's some press releases concerning the new Focal Celestee -

Audioholics
Forbes
Headphones.com

It is priced well at $990. If this fixes some of the shortcomings of the Elegia, it is a winner, in my book.

Plus, it looks really nice, too. Probably the best looking Focal in the lineup, IMO! :)
I'll definitely be interested in these. I really hope they've sold the clipping driver issue common on other Focal headphones, especially the Clear. I found that intolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back