The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,411 of 6,351
@Chris Kaoss , yep you got the pic :)

I look for more refined bass as sometimes to me the 7200 goes near to be "bloomy", more forward/intimate mids, more refined treble and above all a tad less laid back representation... So I think I am heading straight to the 9200....

I agree also on the comfort as the clamping on 7200 is not that good. :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #1,412 of 6,351
Hi, so do you "remember" how the 7200 would perform, and do you think GH50 would be a possible step up without loosing too much of refinement, separation and bass layering?
I can't accurately compare the AH-D7200 to the Gjallahorn GH50 at this juncture, as it's been some time since I've heard the Denon. However, I distinctly remember that I prefer the bass (and the overall sound) of the AH-D9200 to its younger sibling; hence, I purchased the AH-D9200 instead. To expound this further, I think the Gjallarhorn compares very favorably to the AH-D9200, in terms of the lower registers - the Denon edges the Kennerton in sheer clarity and layering (by a hair), but the Gjallarhorn has a touch heavier mid and sub-bass regions; the rumble on the latter is thus more apparent.

Jan 9, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,413 of 6,351
Finally I got them! The Pearls are beautiful, can't compare them with red or blue, but they are astonishing.!

1559B554-7EFA-4155-A92E-73983FF9AA9B.jpeg

Comfort wise, the headband is really comfortable, a lot of space for my ears and head. Really happy so far.
Wow, that's really, really pretty! Congrats, mate! :)

By the way, the Moon Audio Dragon connectors don't appear flush with the socket; I wonder if they are using plugs that are a little too big?

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,414 of 6,351
... To expound this further, I think the Gjallarhorn compares very favorably to the AH-D9200, in terms of the lower registers - the Denon edges the Kennerton in sheer clarity and layering (by a hair), but the Gjallarhorn has a touch heavier mid and sub-bass regions; the rumble on the latter is thus more apparent.

Thanks, the "price" to pay here is in the treble region if I got it right, correct?

Of course for me it would be easier to aim at the 9200 since I know how the little sister performs, even if in terms of comfort and sound sig we are saying is in any case different.

Btw I have that "thing" on quirky gear and cannot stop thinking about the Russian or other Japs alternatives :wink:

All in all my target is also around 1k EUR, which could be near to some GH5 (on offer maybe and with the issue of custom duties) but for 9200 would be for an used set.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,415 of 6,351
Thanks, the "price" to pay here is in the treble region if I got it right, correct?

Of course for me it would be easier to aim at the 9200 since I know how the little sister performs, even if in terms of comfort and sound sig we are saying is in any case different.

Btw I have that "thing" on quirky gear and cannot stop thinking about the Russian or other Japs alternatives :wink:

All in all my target is also around 1k EUR, which could be near to some GH5 (on offer maybe and with the issue of custom duties) but for 9200 would be for an used set.
The treble on the AH-D9200 is by far superior to the Gjallarhorn - it has good detail and articulation, with a decent splash of presence and airiness (for a closed-back). Moreover, despite retaining good control over the entire region, thereby preventing any runaway peaks, there is still a palpable dash of sparkle and grain in the higher registers. A lot of these positive attributes are, unfortunately, missing in the Gjallarhorn; the Kennerton's highs are smooth and comparatively mellow. If you enjoy a darker signature, with (really) good bass, the Gjallarhorn might just be the perfect cup of tea (or coffee, for that matter). However, the Denon's overall balance, and its mastery of most aspects of its signature lend it the upper hand in this head-to-head battle.

If I had to pick one, I'd go for the Denon - my choice is due in large part to its positive tonal and technical attributes blending together to produce some of the best that I've heard in my EDM tracks; like a glove to a cold hand, if I may say so. Nevertheless, the Gjallarhorn has its positive attributes, too, and your decision may very well rest on your aural preferences.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,416 of 6,351
Here are my 1st impressions about the TH900 mk2 White Pearl Edition:
*50 Hour burn-in, going balanced with a Silver Dragon 4.4mm on a Hiby R8 Pro and specially listening to all kind of Rock, Blues, R&B and Vocal Jazz.

Comfort

With the AP2000ti these are the most comfortable HPs I've ever tried. So soft on the headband, lightweight and a lot of space for my ears, well made for my big head to the point I didn’t have to go full length on extension. The earpads aren’t as plushy as Sony’s, but have a gentle touch, helped in part by a low clamping force. Just perfect.

9.0/10
Better HPs in this category. A tie with the AP2000ti.

Sound Quality

Highs

I remembered my fellow @Nostoi within the first hours listening to the sound signature. These HPs should fit his taste, because these Pearls are bright as the sun, in a gorgeous way.

I usually like brighter HPs, maybe because I was baptized with the MSR7b or because I love clarity and detail retrieval or maybe because is always easier to correct any spike with EQ than push the highs up on a dark HP. Anyway, this is the first time I have to tame the highs in order to find a less sibilant and airy sound, trying to make them softer, slower and more musical.

The acquired warm taste of the Z1r may had biased me too.

Anyway, the TH900 mk2 brings without effort everything to the table with a precious way to shine on clarity, spark and high resolution highs just as a White Pearl would shine on the sand. With EQ, the highs for me are a dream come true, these HPs would never lack of brightness just as a shiny day on a beach on summer. Maybe a pair of shades and everything is perfect. :sunglasses:

9.0/10
Better HP in this category: Hard to tell, maybe the AP2000ti again

Mids

Again, as with the Z1r I was expecting recessed Mids. Maybe a little, but more on lack of thickness if I compare them with the lush and velvet sound of Sony's. The vocals are great, they are really there, pretty clear, crisp and incredible detailed but is just that meaty voice of Leonard Cohen with a lot of body and weight that remembered me how it sounded on the Z1r that makes me wanting more.

Over the past I preferred more crispy notes, but now I’ve beginning to love thick notes, again, biased with the Z1r, so I’m fortunate that the MSEB function on my DAP allows me to bring a fuller sound on notes and Mids.

8.0/10
Better HP in this category: Z1r.

Lows

Here you have a King :prince:. The lows have almost everything I’ve been looking for. They're tight, with rumble and a lot of slam and punch. A lot of layers and the high resolution is incredible. The speed is fantastic, so fast.! Well defined..!

There’s something I miss from the Z1r and I have no words to describe it. The TH900 are by any way thin, but maybe is that “lush” sound again, somewhere I miss some weight vs the Z1r, however I end preferring the overall low sound of Fostex.

Some claim these have to much bass so definitely I officially consider my self as a basshead because I pumped a little more deepness to the sound with the MSEB. 😊

9.5/10
Better HP in this category: None.

Final thoughts:

These HPs remind me the D9200 a lot, but better.! So everything happens for a reason, I was meant for this HPs the moment I suffered with Denon's headband and I was forced to find something similar, finding in the middle the awesome Z1rs (maybe I´ll keep them too).

Almost all boxes checked but two.

1. Seal and isolation. These are semi open as many claimed. Sometimes you want absolute silence to enjoy just the music, well, you have to look for a quiet place with these. Doesn't bother me, it's not a must, but definitely a nice to have.

2. Mids not thicker as I prefer them to be.

Anyway, I can live with these unchecked boxes everyday of the week. They are a keeper and for $2.000, including the cable, I am pretty satisfied and I now have the perfect excuse to keep the Z1rs: They are really closed backs.!, so why not two, one semi open and one closed back. :)

Keeping some recommendations, I´ve already ordered 2 pairs of pads, the TH-X00 @TSelanne and the 610 @jmills8 to see any improvements or changes.

@Malevolent you just got it 100% right. Perfectly described.!

P.S. While writing just listening to Joe Bonamassa and Deep Purple. Incredible.!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,418 of 6,351
*50 Hour burn-in, going balanced with a Silver Dragon 4.4mm on a Hiby R8 Pro and specially listening to all kind of Rock, Blues, R&B and Vocal Jazz.

Comfort

With the AP2000ti these are the most comfortable HPs I've ever tried. So soft on the headband, lightweight and a lot of space for my ears, well made for my big head to the point I didn’t have to go full length on extension. The earpads aren’t as plushy as Sony’s, but have a gentle touch, helped in part by a low clamping force. Just perfect.

9.0/10

Sound Quality

Highs

I remembered my fellow @Nostoi within the first hours listening to the sound signature. These HPs should fit his taste, because these Pearls are bright as the sun, in a gorgeous way.

I usually like brighter HPs, maybe because I was baptized with the MSR7b or because I love clarity and detail retrieval or maybe because is always easier to correct any spike with EQ than push the highs up on a dark HP. Anyway, this is the first time I have to tame the highs in order to find a less sibilant and airy sound, trying to make them softer, slower and more musical.

Anyway, the TH900 mk2 brings without effort everything to the table with a precious way to shine on clarity, spark and high resolution highs just as a White Pearl would shine on the sand. With EQ, the highs for me are a dream come true, these HPs would never lack of brightness just as a shiny day on a beach on summer. Maybe a pair of shades and everything is perfect. :sunglasses:

9.0/10

Mids

Again, as with the Z1r I was expecting recessed Mids. Maybe a little, but more on lack of thickness if I compare them with the lush and velvet sound of Sony's. The vocals are great, they are really there, pretty clear, crisp and incredible detailed but is just that meaty voice of Leonard Cohen with a lot of body and weight that remembered me how it sounded on the Z1r that makes me wanting more.

Over the past I preferred more crispy notes, but now I’ve beginning to love thick notes, again, biased with the Z1r, so I’m fortunate that the MSEB function on my DAP allows me to bring a fuller sound on notes and Mids.

8.0/10

Lows

Here you have a King :prince:. The lows have almost everything I’ve been looking for. They're tight, with rumble and a lot of slam and punch. A lot of layers and the high resolution is incredible. The speed is fantastic, so fast.! Well defined..!

There’s something I miss from the Z1r and I have no words to describe it. The TH900 are by any way thin, but maybe is that “lush” sound again, somewhere I miss some weight vs the Z1r, however I end preferring the overall low sound of Fostex.

Some claim these have to much bass so definitely I officially consider my self as a basshead because I pumped a little more deepness to the sound with the MSEB. 😊

9.5/10

Final thoughts:

These HPs remind me the D9200 a lot, but better.! So everything happens for a reason, I was meant for this HPs the moment I suffered with Denon's headband and I was forced to find something similar, finding in the middle the awesome Z1rs (maybe I´ll keep them too).

1. Seal and isolation. These are semi open as many claimed. Sometimes you want absolute silence to enjoy just the music, well, you have to look for a quiet place with these. Doesn't bother me, it's not a must, but definitely a nice to have.

Anyway, I can live with these unchecked boxes everyday of the week. They are a keeper and for $2.000, including the cable, I am pretty satisfied and I now have the perfect excuse to keep the Z1rs: They are really closed backs.!, so why not two, one semi open and one closed back. :)

Keeping some recommendations, I´ve already ordered 2 pairs of pads, the TH-X00 @TSelanne and the 610 @jmills8 to see any improvements or changes.

P.S. While writing just listening to Joe Bonamassa and Deep Purple. Incredible.!
Thanks for the mention here; alongside the 7200, these are definitely on my list as next buys. Remind me, you've had the AWKT before, correct? Any comparison? Enjoy!

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,419 of 6,351
Thanks for the mention here; alongside the 7200, these are definitely on my list as next buys. Remind me, you've had the AWKT before, correct? Any comparison? Enjoy!
With the AWKT I had seal issues so it's not a fair comparison. What I remember is an impressive detail retrieval and forward mids and highs, but an overall sound signature that was thin, anemic and without punch, just the opposite to the TH900 mk2.

I tried pushing the pads to my ears in order to get a better seal and there were noticeable differences, however I ended giving up without a chance to learn from them.

Maybe the WP900 were more alike to the TH900, shining on sparkly highs but with not as recessed mids and a low end way better all around, tighter, faster and more detailed, unprecedent for me.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,420 of 6,351

Comfort

9.0/10

Sound Quality

Highs

9.0/10

Mids

8.0/10

Lows

9.5/10

Final thoughts:

Nice! I'm jelly.. I'd love to replace my red TH900 mk2 with a white one. The more I look at them, the more I realize just how alluring and pretty they are. Congrats, mate! :)

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,421 of 6,351
Jan 12, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,422 of 6,351
There, fixed that for you :wink:
I'm going to pretend that I didn't see you write that. Where's that "Hide" button?... this forum really needs one. It'll be very helpful for all of us! :joy:

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,424 of 6,351
Nice! I'm jelly.. I'd love to replace my red TH900 mk2 with a white one. The more I look at them, the more I realize just how alluring and pretty they are. Congrats, mate! :)
I just did an a/b testing between the stock cable and the silver dragon and there are noticeable differences. The thing is, with the stock cable I'm going 3.5mm (6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter) and the silver dragon is 4.4 balanced. Could this be the reason of the differences?

The stock cable tames the highs and bring more thickness to the overall sound, maybe losing some air but without sacrificing details by any means, a warmer sound which I prefer without any doubts. Now I don't need too much EQ and my experience is definitely upgraded.

I just had a conversation with moon audio and they are recommending me the black dragon in return of the silver without any charge, even being past the 30 days of guarantee. Great service.!

Another experience with different cables changing the sound signature in a not so marginal way, first the Sony/Kimber and now this. Not a myth for me anymore. :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,425 of 6,351
Which closed back has the best separation ?
They all have good separation, the most closed they are the more pronounced the sensation is. For example the DT1770 is almost screaming for crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back