The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,276 of 6,418
My morning listen.... D9200, SP2000 and Romi BX2 Plus

Is that Rudolph in the lower right? :)

(And is it wrong that I seem to be more interested in the Xmas background decor than your exquisite HP gear?)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,277 of 6,418
Is that Rudolph in the lower right? :)

(And is it wrong that I seem to be more interested in the Xmas decor than your exquisite HP gear?)
Lol...I think it is Olive...you know olive the other reindeer

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,278 of 6,418
They're in the house🤗
Very positive first impressions, like a closed version of Ultrasone Edition 15, less shimmer than the likes of ATs, Denon, not to mention old Beyers as you all know by now.
Thing is though, i believe they've made a masterpiece here,i remember AK t5s, those were weak.
True, a tad more treble wouldn't go amiss, but i don't miss any details, it's all there and the point is, you can listen all day. I recently got Philips X3, very trebly can, i am happy with those as much as I'm happy with T5s, one is bass monster with non fatiguing treble, X3 is very little sub bass, tons of treble.
And bass, OMG, sooo deep, so right, a tad softer than 9200, but if like me you're into electronic or any well recorded bass including live or acoustic, both cans are the ticket, id never be able to choose🙃🙂
So, there, whoever moaned and strongly didn't recommend these, but recommended dt1990..... common, really??
Btw, wore these for 8hours in the studio yesterday and they were as brilliant a tool, Beyers have always been, voices and music came through with a comfort and high resolution with zero discomfort, so well made, soft, beautiful earpads!
20201216_115500.jpg

That sounds... seducing. I have to be strong now.

Congratulation on your new pet -- really intriguing :)

Regarding that new tuning I really think that people with too foxed expectations deprive themselves of new experiences. But of course that's an age-old reflex: everything that's different must inherently be bad... helped us through most of our evolution, so it must of course always and ever be true...

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,279 of 6,418

Regarding that new tuning I really think that people with too foxed expectations deprive themselves of new experiences. But of course that's an age-old reflex: everything that's different must inherently be bad... helped us through most of our evolution, so it must of course always and ever be true...
Thank you, i think it's a keeper, love the size and fit, more compact than 9200, totally different sound, but every time i think about evaluating it critically , just gets overrun by the sheer musical experience, they made it with love, not analytical goal in mind, id call it the dark pleasure🙂👍🍻

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #1,280 of 6,418
Thank you, i think it's a keeper, love the size and fit, more compact than 9200, totally different sound, but every time i think about evaluating it critically , just gets overrun by the sheer musical experience, they made it with love, not analytical goal in mind, id call it the dark pleasure🙂👍🍻

That was exactly my impression after my talk with Beyerdynamic: they were really interested in following through with the separation between their professional and their home models. The idea was to keep the pro models as tools, while giving the home models a character more in the direction of musical enjoyment. Sounds like they succeeded :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,281 of 6,418
I'm on it, my friend.
It's a long journey to cover all my selected tracks for a serious comparison. :)
The Mojo is running out of juice the 2nd time. ^^
Will be back at you this evening/ maybe tomorrow in the morning.
I swear. :L3000:
Hey, no pressure, my friend. Take your time! There's no deadline here; I hope I didn't come across as being demanding or anything. :)

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,282 of 6,418
They're in the house🤗
Very positive first impressions, like a closed version of Ultrasone Edition 15, less shimmer than the likes of ATs, Denon, not to mention old Beyers as you all know by now.
Thing is though, i believe they've made a masterpiece here,i remember AK t5s, those were weak.
True, a tad more treble wouldn't go amiss, but i don't miss any details, it's all there and the point is, you can listen all day. I recently got Philips X3, very trebly can, i am happy with those as much as I'm happy with T5s, one is bass monster with non fatiguing treble, X3 is very little sub bass, tons of treble.
And bass, OMG, sooo deep, so right, a tad softer than 9200, but if like me you're into electronic or any well recorded bass including live or acoustic, both cans are the ticket, id never be able to choose🙃🙂
So, there, whoever moaned and strongly didn't recommend these, but recommended dt1990..... common, really??
Btw, wore these for 8hours in the studio yesterday and they were as brilliant a tool, Beyers have always been, voices and music came through with a comfort and high resolution with zero discomfort, so well made, soft, beautiful earpads!
20201216_115500.jpg
Congrats on the purchase! Indeed, your impressions of the T5 (3rd Gen) are quite similar to mine - they are heavy in the bass and muted in the treble. You're right, they lose a lot of the shimmer and presence of the older Beyerdynamic headphones; in fact, it is a 180° turn from their previous "house sound". Nevertheless, they have a non-fatiguing, lush sound that despite being overly rounded, is also chock-full of emotion and texture.

They sound very different from the AH-D9200 in terms of tonality and presentation. They complement each other very well, though.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #1,283 of 6,418
They sound very different from the AH-D9200 in terms of tonality and presentation. They complement each other very well, though.
Spoiler alert.

That's a part of my conclusion of D7200 and D9200, except the somewhat pronounced mids they're sharing. :wink:

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,284 of 6,418

Ha! Yes, I have been debating if I really want the T5 (3rd Gen) for quite some time now; they have an addictive, sweet sound that's quite different from many of the top-level headphones on the contemporary market. Where others trod the tried-and-tested audiophile-friendly sound, the T5 (3rd Gen) takes the road less travelled, with a bass-heavy, thick, lush sound that's equal parts charming and unusual. If you've not tried it, you should - it's worth a decent audition. You might just love it.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,285 of 6,418
Ha! Yes, I have been debating if I really want the T5 (3rd Gen) for quite some time now; they have an addictive, sweet sound that's quite different from many of the top-level headphones on the contemporary market. Where others trod the tried-and-tested audiophile-friendly sound, the T5 (3rd Gen) takes the road less travelled, with a bass-heavy, thick, lush sound that's equal parts charming and unusual. If you've not tried it, you should - it's worth a decent audition. You might just love it.
@plakat, if you have big ears, is better to try them in a shop before buying. I had comfort issues with T 1.3, the most annoying was that the pads pinched my ear lobes, due to the smaller size of the pads... But if you have tried the last generation of T1 or the first T1, I think all T1's have pads of the same size.

Here you have a comparison: T 1.3 and Denon AH-D9200 by @albertmuc He prefers the T 1.3.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,286 of 6,418
Here you have a comparison: T 1.3 and Denon AH-D9200 by @albertmuc He prefers the T 1.3.
[/QUOTE]
It seems they are same as all previous Beyers I've had, 1770, 1990, 880 etc, same round shape and size.
I remember the 1990 came with velour and leather pads, was expecting similar here, they've cut on cables, accessories and the box is unnecessary big, but quality. The T5s leather pads and general comfort is the best so far to me, clamp force and materials are top!

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,287 of 6,418
Congrats on the purchase! Indeed, your impressions of the T5 (3rd Gen) are quite similar to mine - they are heavy in the bass and muted in the treble. You're right, they lose a lot of the shimmer and presence of the older Beyerdynamic headphones; in fact, it is a 180° turn from their previous "house sound". Nevertheless, they have a non-fatiguing, lush sound that despite being overly rounded, is also chock-full of emotion and texture.

You're right, though I'd say they still sound like Beyers to me, just nothing piercing up there and yet, magically all the details are happening, so you don't get any feeling whatsoever of anything missing literally or balance wise, so much air.
Just wanna make sure, nobody thinks these are muddy or bad bassy in any way.
Its a basshead dream and indeed a great companion to the Denons

Dec 16, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,288 of 6,418
Closed backs I had in past:
AIAIAI TMA-2 - (absolute garbage sound quality)
Philips A5-PRO - (horrible comfort, torture device that happens to produce sound...can't tell sound quality because of the physical pain of wearing it...)
1MORE Triple-driver over-ear - (very nice sound, but on-ear pads are fairly uncomfortable and somewhat tight clamp)
Audeze Mobius - (very nice sound for a planar but build quality too cheap feeling and pads a bit too small)
B&O BeoPlay H7 - (very decent sound for wireless though a little too boomy low end, main issue is pads too small)
Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO with Impact Audio Cables custom single ended cable - (very nice neutral sound, little light on bass for my taste and not quite musical enough)
Fostex T40RP Mark III - (sound ok, but 'planar sound' I don't like and comfort is lacking)
Fostex T50RP Mark III - (sound ok, but 'planar sound' I don't like and comfort is lacking)
Fostex TH-X00MH with Lawton tune-up, ZMF Ori suede with Dekoni/original pads, removeable cable 2.5mm conversion by PETEREK - (Least liked TH-X00...Mahogany is just too laid back and fuzzy sounding and not punchy enough)
Fostex TH-X00PS, E-MU Palo Santo cups, Lawton tune-up [driver housing only], Yaxi Alcantara pads, custom in-pad attenuators - (most neutral and bright, treble focused Fostex presentation I've heard)
Modhouse Argon MK3 converted from Fostex T40RP MK3, deerskin strap and ZMF Lambskin pads - (dark and spacious sounding, though had nice amount of detail and planar speed. Simply light on subbass and a bit flat sounding compared to the Fostex Biodynas)
Modhouse T60RP Argon with deerskin strap and ZMF suede oval pads - (more neutral and a bit less spacious than the Argon MK3, a little brighter and slightly punchier as well.)

My current and absolutely favorite closedbacks:

Denon AH-D5200 with custom adaptor rings and Yaxi Alcantara TH610 pads - (newest and quickly becoming my favorite, digs deeper than TH-X00 Purpleheart and almost hits as hard, but more upfront mids. Just a bit thinner sounding than the Purpleheart but so detailed and tight sounding in comparison, also just a little bit less musical)

Fostex TH-X00PH with Lawton tune-up [driver housing only], Jmoney V3 sheepskin pads, custom in-pad attenuators - (subbass that hits like a freight train, warm and very solid sound. Bass has absolutely massive presence but lack tightness and punch of the AH-D5200. Very musical and pleasing sound.)

Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee with headphile Zebrawood cups sealed with Loctite Fun-Tak, Yaxi HD650 Alcantara pads w/ stock earpad foam kept - (Warm and Dark, absolutley beautiful for gaming as still keeps stock HD58X 3D holographic presentational nature and imaging. Subbass impact is not far off from the Denon/Fostex. Flatter sounding than the Denon/Fostex which is why its mostly just used for gaming/movies.)

i-FCc6jw3.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,290 of 6,418
@plakat, if you have big ears, is better to try them in a shop before buying. I had comfort issues with T 1.3, the most annoying was that the pads pinched my ear lobes, due to the smaller size of the pads... But if you have tried the last generation of T1 or the first T1, I think all T1's have pads of the same size.

Same with the T1.2 i owned.
I had to "slip in" the cups to get a proper fit, which was a bit annoying to me.
But i was biased with the big opening of my Era-1 in that regard. ^^
Maybe this is a purpose one has to get used to, i guess.
Never get this feeling with the Denons i own.

Imo, the D7200 is closer to the T1.3 with its darker sound, than the D9200.
But i didn't listen to the T1.3 to evaluate this myself. It should've a bit wider stage presentation than D7200, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back