The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread
Aug 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #407 of 655
I won't say it's dead-bang black.  There is a faint "something" when nothing is playing, but I can't detect it once play is pressed.  Even in classical string tracks where there are dramatic transitions.

As an example:
Marianne Thorsen, TrondheimSolistene, Mozart Violin Concerto no. 3 in G major (KV 216) Allegro

I have Audeze LCD2 rev 2's  I listened with HD800 at the LA meet for a brief period, however I wasn't able to "zone in" for a good listening session.  Can't comment on the Grado's.   I did NOT implement a dropping resistor on the OPT.

In the schematic below are modification Tom provided to help with early noise mitigation as well as support the ECC88 variety valves.  It helped significantly.

Next I upgraded some resistors to Texas Components TX2575 bulk metal foil 0.1% and the .22mF capacitors to Mundorf silver oil as noted.  I converted the input and output interfaces to balanced / differential 3-pin XLR.  That required me to replace the ALPS Japan volume POT with a stepped attenuator.  I did this yesterday.

Mid- week I will re-wire the inputs with a silk wrapped 26ga. silver wire and a copper braided shield around it.  The final touch will be to install the flexible shaft and turned figured maple knob.  Done.

I guess this will be the end of the journey and the thread unless there is something significant to report…… Like putting in insane Royal Princess 300B's or the Takatsuki TA-300B.

I wouldn't be that stupid.  nah.

EDIT:  The longer it's turned on, the quieter it gets. As in black.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #408 of 655
I am Immensely excited.

My friend has a huge vinyl collection with rare stuff.  He's been putting most of his efforts into organizing a larger digital collection.  He has a top tier Lynn system.

He had tried to digitize the vinyl a few months back and didn't like the results.

Yesterday I took my Mac, a MOTU Microbook, and Logic Express over to give it a go.  The results are stunning!  He hasn't got the test tracks scanned into the Lynn library...  I think he will be very happy.

The test cuts are.  Miles Davis Kinda Blue, Tracy Champman Revolution, and Beatles Get Back.

Logic Express uses "Bounce" mode and writes 24 bit 192K .aif files on the fly.  I think it's as good as any digital recording I have and it has that nice stylus on vinyl quality.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #409 of 655
I now know what I want to build next....  Phono Preamp.
Doable?

The recordings I captured were stunning.
A/B comparisons to ripped CD's were hands down better.
I am dumbfounded.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #412 of 655
Full speed ahead learning how to rip vinyl to digital.

Here's the analog source equipment:
LP12 Turntable
Akiva Cartridge
Ekos2 Tone Arm
Keel Sub-chassis
Lingo Power Supply
Linto Phono Pre-amp 
Pre-Amp Linn Klimax Kontrol
Amplifiers Linn 6100 and Linn 4200
With Aktiv Crossovers 
Speakers Linn Akurate 242MK 1
Two Linn Melodik Subwoofers
 Digital Linn Akurate DS Streamer

Recording equipment:
MacBook Pro Retina SSD
MOTU Microbook

Software Choices:
Logic Express 9
MOTU AudioDesk
Audacity

The three tracks I captured were done with a whole 20 minutes of seat of the pants learning on Logic Express.  I need to learn how to set input/output recording levels so they don't clip.  Perhaps AudioDesk or Audacity is a better way to go.  ?

For a beta test the results were impressing.  I found them far superior to CD recordings of the same material.  However they were not as good as the direct vinyl.  Especially when the volume was cranked.  The clipping was revealed on the Linn system.  It's good, but I think it can be better if I know what I'm doing. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #413 of 655
Roger's Woodturning finished the knob and sent me a photo.  I should have it tomorrow.
I really like it.  It should look amazing when it's on the amp.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #414 of 655
Full speed ahead learning how to rip vinyl to digital.

Here's the analog source equipment:

LP12 Turntable

Akiva Cartridge

Ekos2 Tone Arm

Keel Sub-chassis

Lingo Power Supply

Linto Phono Pre-amp 

Pre-Amp Linn Klimax Kontrol

Amplifiers Linn 6100 and Linn 4200

With Aktiv Crossovers 

Speakers Linn Akurate 242MK 1

Two Linn Melodik Subwoofers

Digital Linn Akurate DS Streamer

Recording equipment:

MacBook Pro Retina SSD

MOTU Microbook

Software Choices:

Logic Express 9

MOTU AudioDesk

Audacity

The three tracks I captured were done with a whole 20 minutes of seat of the pants learning on Logic Express.  I need to learn how to set input/output recording levels so they don't clip.  Perhaps AudioDesk or Audacity is a better way to go.  ?

For a beta test the results were impressing.  I found them far superior to CD recordings of the same material.  However they were not as good as the direct vinyl.  Especially when the volume was cranked.  The clipping was revealed on the Linn system.  It's good, but I think it can be better if I know what I'm doing. 

Don't you just want an ADC before his pre-amp? Then you don't lose anything going to speaker and back through the mic. At least it sounds like you are using a mic with the Microbook...

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #415 of 655
The MOTO Microbook is an ADC.  It has balanced Line In.  That's where the phono pre-amp is connected.
No Mics.  Using MOTU AudioDesk and QueMix FX software.

The results are amazing.  A lot of that can be attributed to an amazing cartridge.

Logic Express was horrible.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #416 of 655
Completed the attenuator re-cable using shields.  It passed the DMM test......now for music.   When the maple knob arrives this afternoon the project will be complete.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #419 of 655

It feels sooo good to not have to add/fix/change something.

Out

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #420 of 655
Quote:
Exactly how I wanted it to look.
Needs a touch of lacquer.

Gorgeous!  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back