The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread
Jun 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #91 of 655
If it sucked, I would tell ya.
The hiss fades and blends into nothing.  After an hour, it's hardly there at all.  It has to be the 300B's
I still would like it to be dead bang quiet, but my hunch is it's not going to happen.  That's a plus for SS.
I'll still work on getting it there.  Upgrade the wire when I put it in the cabinet, maybe try some different 300B's
I also need to apply Tom's mod.

I have been afraid to listen to my Lyr for fear it would sound [size=small]superior...[/size]
[size=small]I have a  dear friend that used to spec and oversee the construction of private theaters in mansions.[/size]
[size=small]He's a Lynn Audio freak, God only knows how much he has in his system.[/size]

[size=small]He is not a HP guy or a tube guy, per say.  Over the months I'd drop my Lyr and LCDs'2 off for him to audition. New glass, etc.[/size]
[size=small]He thought it were pretty good.[/size]

[size=small]Well today I had him over for an A/B.....  Kid you not. ... He liked the 300B hands down.  He would tell me if my kid had warts.[/size]
[size=small]He's probably A/B'd equipment for 20 years.[/size]
[size=small]He said the 300B was a lot bigger, esp. the base.  Fuller a lot more powerful.  I made sure he heard the hiss.....  His comment....didn't take anything away.[/size]

[size=small]It is definitely coming into it's own.[/size]
[size=small]I'm looking forward to the LA meet and getting feedback from other Head-Fiers.[/size]

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #92 of 655
Sceleratus - thank you for posting your build thread. It's good to see that someone is enjoying the fruits of my labor (and their own too, obviously). I really appreciate you taking the time to document and share your experience. 

@ Holland: Keep watching my site. Sometime in the fall, I'll be offering a Spud that'll accept a couple of different sweep tubes - both triodes and pentodes. PCBs will be available. Stay tuned...

~Tom
----
Neurochrome : : Audio -- www.neurochrome.com/audio -- Engineering : : Done : : Right

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #93 of 655
Quote:
Sceleratus - thank you for posting your build thread. It's good to see that someone is enjoying the fruits of my labor (and their own too, obviously). I really appreciate you taking the time to document and share your experience. 

@ Holland: Keep watching my site. Sometime in the fall, I'll be offering a Spud that'll accept a couple of different sweep tubes - both triodes and pentodes. PCBs will be available. Stay tuned...

~Tom
----
Neurochrome : : Audio -- www.neurochrome.com/audio -- Engineering : : Done : : Right

shucks  
smile.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #96 of 655
Randy.
Yup checked that they are oriented correctly and have more than enough distance.

I'm a sucker for Voodoo science.
So to go go along with my beeswax capacitors, I ordered some "Naked" Bulk Metal Foil Resistors

Besides clearing up any noise in the signal path, they will provide the US with clean power for the next 10 years.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #97 of 655
Quote:
Randy.
Yup checked that they are oriented correctly and have more than enough distance.

I'm a sucker for Voodoo science.
So to go go along with my beeswax capacitors, I ordered some "Naked" Bulk Metal Foil Resistors

Besides clearing up any noise in the signal path, they will provide the US with clean power for the next 10 years.

I for one appreciate it!

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #104 of 655
Quote:
you may join too, but only if you can't spell obscure european cities.
smile.gif

I'll take "Cities that rhyme with Ashtabula" for $200, Alex...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back