Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Post pics of your builds....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post pics of your builds.... - Page 613

post #9181 of 9637

I would like to try to build a Bottlehead Crack some day. I don't have any headphones that really benefit from it though. I'll have to try Doc B.'s K 701 on Crack when I get the chance.

post #9182 of 9637

The Crack is a piece of cake build and not so expensive. So far for me getting a FU-32/GU-29 amp built has become a PITA. 

 

Anyway this 300B SET amp ain't cheap to build.

post #9183 of 9637
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

I am outta my mind that it  actually works !   It sounds amazing.

 

Forgive me...

I've only made 4 posts on different threads saying the same thing.

 

 

 

What amp is this? It looks like an interesting build.

post #9184 of 9637

The amp was designed by Tom Christiansen.  I purchased the boards from him.

All the details and schematics can be found on his site.  I'm having fun.

 

Here is my build thread.

post #9185 of 9637

Hmm.. 300B goodness. Nice  smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Just some bad pics of an amplifier recasing. Typical dynalo, power supply with a pair of cap multipliers followed by lm317/337. Only oddity is the 12 steps attenuator. My sources have volume controls so I made the steps small (2db), just for adjusting the volume from track to track.

 

I don't know quite how to finish the amplifier... top will be plexiglass, sanded. For the front, I've this big empty rectangle and the pot sticking out. confused_face.gif  A piece of wood would be the typical solution. Any ideas ?

 

 

 

 

Edit: found a piece of wood and some free time...

 


Edited by 00940 - 6/22/13 at 9:08am
post #9186 of 9637

Those two are a bit rough still, but they are my first PCB designs and my first proper solder works, so I'm really quite pleased with the way they turned out!

 

9VAC to +-8VDC power supply for small headamps (7808/7908 linear regulators, 2200u Nichicon reservoir caps):

 

 

 

Apheared 47 (based on OPA4134 quad opamp in SOIC14 package, MKT1813 input caps) :

 

 


Edited by yawg3d - 6/24/13 at 4:04pm
post #9187 of 9637

@yawg3d

 

Nice job for a first try.

 

Some advice:

When using through hole components, they should be on

the opposite side from the copper layer. The way you have

it there will result in poor structural integrity. In other words,

it will be easy for the wires and volume pot to rip the traces

off the board. It is correct to mount the SMD on the copper

side. For your next project, put the copper layer and SMD

on the bottom, PTH on the top.

 

Cheers!

post #9188 of 9637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro_Arrow View Post

@yawg3d

 

Nice job for a first try.

 

Some advice:

When using through hole components, they should be on

the opposite side from the copper layer. The way you have

it there will result in poor structural integrity. In other words,

it will be easy for the wires and volume pot to rip the traces

off the board. It is correct to mount the SMD on the copper

side. For your next project, put the copper layer and SMD

on the bottom, PTH on the top.

 

Cheers!

Thanks !

I'm planning on making a board and I did not know that.

post #9189 of 9637

@Avro_Arrow:

 

The boards are dual-layer with plated through holes. On the A47, the bottom layer hosts the star ground, on the PSU, it's a ground plane. But yeah, next time I'll try whether I can get away with a single layer. Thanks for the hint!


Edited by yawg3d - 6/24/13 at 4:40pm
post #9190 of 9637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post

Hmm.. 300B goodness. Nice  smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Just some bad pics of an amplifier recasing. Typical dynalo, power supply with a pair of cap multipliers followed by lm317/337. Only oddity is the 12 steps attenuator. My sources have volume controls so I made the steps small (2db), just for adjusting the volume from track to track.

 

I don't know quite how to finish the amplifier... top will be plexiglass, sanded. For the front, I've this big empty rectangle and the pot sticking out. confused_face.gif  A piece of wood would be the typical solution. Any ideas ?

 

 

 

 

Edit: found a piece of wood and some free time...

 

OK.... You asked.

 

Sanded plexi is a very modern cool look.

 

Couple of knee jerk thoughts.

 

Sanded plexi in the front and detail it with some nice polished nickel, stainless or chrome, Oversized Hex, cap screws.

You might be able to incorporate some stainless standoff's that push the plexi out 1/4" or so.  That would give it some extra dimensions.

 

My other thought would be to do the same thing in Stainless.  But I think the sanded plexi would be bad ass.

 

Here is a great site to order any type of hardware known to man.  Over 500,000 products.

They have every fastener in every size and finish imaginable.  Probably have plexi too.... they got it all.

 

http://mcmaster.com

post #9191 of 9637
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawg3d View Post

@Avro_Arrow:

 

The boards are dual-layer with plated through holes. On the A47, the bottom layer hosts the star ground, on the PSU, it's a ground plane. But yeah, next time I'll try whether I can get away with a single layer. Thanks for the hint!


Facepalm

 

Yes, I remembered that about thirty seconds after I hit send.

 

Still, advice stands for anyone etching their own, single sided board.

post #9192 of 9637

Pictures of my new enclosure for the "Lovely Cube/Matrix M-Stage whatever copy" from Ebay. Looks a little bit used - cost me 15€ on a fleamarket  biggrin.gif

No idee what it was exactly, but it was full of power wires and sockets with earthing contact. Need a new top, back and front...

 

regards

nippon

 

 

 

 

 

post #9193 of 9637

AquaTech did a great job water cutting the bronze top and rear panels.

Over 90 holes and cutouts.  Lots of 3mm mounting holes.  Impossible for me to do.

 

The enclosure is in the cabinet makers hands.

Next post will be the assembled (working?) build.

 

 

 

 

I got lazy polishing the rear panel.  It's a satin finish.

I really should fix that....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #9194 of 9637

Finished

 

 

 

 

 

post #9195 of 9637

Absolutely amazingly gorgeous amp. So how does it sound?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Post pics of your builds....