The Chord Hugo TT is announced.
Nov 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #241 of 282
Where the Hugo TT connect external amplifier ,the volume seems to be controlled by TT instead of external amplifier,how to change into controlling by external amplifier?Anyone can help me?Thanks a lot. 

You have to set it to line out mode, which I believe involves holding down some buttons when you turn it on. The instructions to do that are included in the little manual.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #242 of 282
You have to set it to line out mode, which I believe involves holding down some buttons when you turn it on. The instructions to do that are included in the little manual.

From the Hugo TT manual:

Press and hold the Crossfeed switch whilst turning on to activate line level volume output. The volume control will illuminate light blue. Using this mode, HugoTT can be used as a standalone DAC into a preamplifier with volume control. Please note the volume control is still active in this mode so the volume can quickly and easily be reduced, if necessary.

The Crossfeed switch is the button labled X-PHD.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #243 of 282
Finally got around to reading the Stereophile review of the TT today...very impressive measurements/performance by this wonderful DAC/Amp. My Headphone.Guru review will be going live in a few weeks. Preview: I bought the review sample...I couldn't bare to send it back to Chord. 
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #244 of 282

From the Hugo TT manual:

The Crossfeed switch is the button labled X-PHD.

Does this work with the Normal Hugo Chord as well? 

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #246 of 282

Does this work with the Normal Hugo Chord as well? 

I believe there is a similar method to set the Hugo to line-out mode as well. However, if memory serves me correctly, I don't think it remembers the setting you last used, so you have to do it each time. The TT will remember the last setting you used.

Pressing the crossfeed button while turning the Hugo on enables the «line out» mode. But note that it's just a preset to 3 volts, no hardware switching/bypassing. You could just as well manually set the volume to ultraviolet.

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #247 of 282
why in the world anyone would buy a TT and then use an external amp is beyond me.....this is a 5K item that is one of the best of its kind available....introducing an external amp can only color or degrade the sound quality....i have read what the Chord people themselves say and i think it is pretty straight forward about this subject

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #248 of 282
  why in the world anyone would buy a TT and then use an external amp is beyond me.....this is a 5K item that is one of the best of its kind available....introducing an external amp can only color or degrade the sound quality....i have read what the Chord people themselves say and i think it is pretty straight forward about this subject

You're certainly right. However, «more is better» is a popular approach on Head-Fi.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #249 of 282

i am not using an amp with the Hugo :p 

yet for the TT i don't even need to think about an external amp :D

unless it doesn't drive HD800 very well :/ 

how is the TT with the HD800?

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #250 of 282

I agree the amp on the TT is truly special and does a magnificent job on it's own. But remember there's overkill AND there's e-stat headphones were a separate amp is still a must. 
redface.gif
 In terms of colouration, depends on that amp...and the Hugo TT can be used in Line Out mode for that purpose.

You're certainly right. However, «more is better» is a popular approach on Head-Fi.
rolleyes.gif

That's right...this is HEAD-FI and we go overboard here....like pairing the Hugo TT with a GS-X Mk2...just insanity. 
wink.gif

i am not using an amp with the Hugo :p 

yet for the TT i don't even need to think about an external amp :D

unless it doesn't drive HD800 very well :/ 

how is the TT with the HD800?

Oh it drives the HD800s, LCD-X/XC/4, T1v2, PS1000e and HE1000s incredibly well and never breaks a sweat. But when paired with the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2...look out! Then, as I mentioned, there are stats to consider where a separate amp is also a must.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #251 of 282

I agree the amp on the TT is truly special and does a magnificent job on it's own. But remember there's overkill AND there's e-stat headphones were a separate amp is still a must. 
redface.gif
 In terms of colouration, depends on that amp...and the Hugo TT can be used in Line Out mode for that purpose.

Of course!

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

That's right...this is HEAD-FI and we go overboard here....like pairing the Hugo TT with a GS-X Mk2...just insanity. 
wink.gif

Hi Peter.
smile.gif
(It was only a question of time!)

Overkill isn't necessarily a bad thing if it has a positive effect, even though the effort seems unproportional. In the case of the Hugo (TT) that's questionable in my book (and Rob Watts', the developer's). That said, «good» sound is always a personal thing. There's nothing wrong with a GS-X Mk2 in the signal path if you like this specific sonic characteristic more than anything else. But keep in mind that in this case «overkill» comprises a signal degradation by a redundant amplification stage. Since there's no way to bypass the Hugo's internal «amp», any additional amp will add distortion and signal rounding, no matter how «good» it is: it will never be as good as a piece of wire. In fact every single electronics component colors the sound, let alone a whole amplifier. Add to this that the Hugo (TT) has exceptionally low harmonic distortion (according to the specs and the developer), so any additional amp will most likely increase harmonic distortion by a considerable degree.

However, signal accuracy per se isn't the main concern in audio – the most important thing is the end result, the sound of the whole chain. Although sonic preferences vary to a wide degree, I believe you that the HD 800 sounds better with the detour via GX-X Mk2. If it's due to warmth added by the additional distortion or due to a slight shift of sonic balance provided by the amp's transient rounding, hard to tell. In any event there seems to be some synergy effect going on. But technically speaking you're sacrificing transparency. Now I'm all for tayloring the sound to my own sonic preferences, but I'm trying to leave the signal as pure as possible by doing so. And even if added distortion will sound more pleasing to the ears at fist glance, I will always refuse to go this route, as tempting as it may be. So for creating optimal sonic balance with a given headphone if the signal at hand doesn't provide it (which is extremely unlikely) I use an equalizer. I guess you haven't tried that yet. Of course it won't provide the same sonic result, but who knows, maybe an even better one – minus some spectacular traits an amp is absolutely capable of adding.

Still there's some aspects that may speak for an additional amp nonetheless, but they're hard to quantify. One thing is balanced drive. So far nobody has been able to plausibly explain the technical merits of it, but I'm open to it. Another thing is power supply. A really powerful and quick power supply could indeed help with the reproduction of dynamics – as the TT itself seems to prove in comparison to the normal Hugo. But from what I get the effect is the same for both DAC and headphone amp use. However, I can't imagine that these two aspects can outweigh the obvious signal degradation they have to accept – if they're relevant at all.

It would be interesting to hear what Rob Watts has to say about the latter aspect(s).

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #252 of 282

Hi Peter.
smile.gif
(It was only a question of time!)

Overkill isn't necessarily a bad thing if it has a positive effect, even though the effort seems unproportional. In the case of the Hugo (TT) that's questionable in my book (and Rob Watts', the developer's). That said, «good» sound is always a personal thing. There's nothing wrong with a GS-X Mk2 in the signal path if you like this specific sonic characteristic more than anything else. But keep in mind that in this case «overkill» comprises a signal degradation by a redundant amplification stage. Since there's no way to bypass the Hugo's internal «amp», any additional amp will add distortion and signal rounding, no matter how «good» it is: it will never be as good as a piece of wire. In fact every single electronics component colors the sound, let alone a whole amplifier. Add to this that the Hugo (TT) has exceptionally low harmonic distortion (according to the specs and the developer), so any additional amp will most likely increase harmonic distortion by a considerable degree.

However, signal accuracy per se isn't the main concern in audio – the most important thing is the end result, the sound of the whole chain. Although sonic preferences vary to a wide degree, I believe you that the HD 800 sounds better with the detour via GX-X Mk2. If it's due to warmth added by the additional distortion or due to a slight shift of sonic balance provided by the amp's transient rounding, hard to tell. In any event there seems to be some synergy effect going on. But technically speaking you're sacrificing transparency. Now I'm all for tayloring the sound to my own sonic preferences, but I'm trying to leave the signal as pure as possible by doing so. And even if added distortion will sound more pleasing to the ears at fist glance, I will always refuse to go this route, as tempting as it may be. So for creating optimal sonic balance with a given headphone if the signal at hand doesn't provide it (which is extremely unlikely) I use an equalizer. I guess you haven't tried that yet. Of course it won't provide the same sonic result, but who knows, maybe an even better one – minus some spectacular traits an amp is absolutely capable of adding.

Still there's some aspects that may speak for an additional amp nonetheless, but they're hard to quantify. One thing is balanced drive. So far nobody has been able to plausibly explain the technical merits of it, but I'm open to it. Another thing is power supply. A really powerful and quick power supply could indeed help with the reproduction of dynamics – as the TT itself seems to prove in comparison to the normal Hugo. But from what I get the effect is the same for both DAC and headphone amp use. However, I can't imagine that these two aspects can outweigh the obvious signal degradation they have to accept – if they're relevant at all.

It would be interesting to hear what Rob Watts has to say about the latter aspect(s).

Hi Marcel...hope you're doing well! 
beerchug.gif

The thing with the GS-X Mk2 is that it is as close to "wire with gain" that I've come across...so absolutely nothing to worry about there. Plus the Line Out mode on the Hugo TT makes it really convenient...and the force and drive of the GS-X Mk2 after the Hugo TT is not only transparent, but forceful and quite the magical pairing! That said, the amplification of the TT is nothing to sneeze at in its own right and I could see anyone living with it and being very happy.

The GS-X Mk2 is a microscope on your upstream setup (and likely the best I've come across in a standalone amplifier), so when paired with the Hugo TT its win-win. 
smile.gif
 The GS_X MK2 has no warmth or brightness that I can detect. It changes based on the upstream rig...that's the benefit of an amp with the goal of wire with gain. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #253 of 282
I just bought the HifiMan HE1000. I should receive them in few days...
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

I understand that, to really shine, the HE1000 needs more power than people believe. I tested it with my HUGO and I did not find it so good, so, can someone tell if the TT can drive the HE1000 to it's full potential ? (it is not a matter of sound volume but of Quality sound)

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #254 of 282
  I just bought the HifiMan HE1000. I should receive them in few days...
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

I understand that, to really shine, the HE1000 needs more power than people believe. I tested it with my HUGO and I did not find it so good, so, can someone tell if the TT can drive the HE1000 to it's full potential ? (it is not a matter of sound volume but of Quality sound)

Actually the TT + HE1000s is excellent. Damn good to my ears! 

That said, I do prefer my GS-1 Mk2 (and about 5W) paired with my Hugo TT. Not a huge difference by any means, but a very welcomed refinement.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #255 of 282
I forgot this important (to me) question before I ordered a TT:  Does the other outputs automatically mute when a headphone is inserted?  I see that the DAVE does so I'm wondering if this feature is there or can be implemented by firmware upgrade.

Cheers,

-Hedwig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back