The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,886 of 5,999
   is there any news about 128 gb (or higher) iPod Touch? 64 is too small for me so if I go down that route, it won't happen with 64 gb.

Secondly, that 240 gb iMods are working with M8, that's I got it but I would like to learn which files I can play with that iMod Classic? I mean, it does play ALAC 16 bit and WAV 16 bit.

Which one I should choose alac or wav? Are there any difference?

Also, which program you would suggest me to use?

No news about a 128GB iPod Touch.  I've been on the lookout as well.  Another option would be to get a wireless drive like the 1TB Seagate Wireless Plus (which I have) and stream from that using WiFi and Seagate's proprietary app.  

An iPod Classic will play ALAC 16bit and WAV 16bit 44.1kHz files.  I am fairly certain it will play 48kHz files (my iPod Video 5.5G does in its stock software).  I don't think it will accept 96kHz files at any bit depth -- iTunes won't let you copy them over.   An iMod is and iPod that has some internal mods done to it, and I think that changes the line-out dock requirements (but am not sure about that).

ALAC and WAV are both lossless, and ALAC is lossless compressed so the file sizes are smaller (sorry as this is probably obvious).  I don't notice any difference between ALAC and WAV in listening, but that is maybe better discussed in the Sound Science forum.

Converting FLAC to anything will require something other than iTunes.  If you can get your FLAC files into WAV, iTunes will convert them to ALAC to shrink the file size.  I've done this (FLAC -> WAV -> ALAC) but forgot how I did the first step.  

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,887 of 5,999
I was holding off looking for a new DAP hoping they release a 128GB Ipod touch since I find other DAPs to be cumbersome/clunky on the interface but superior on hardware specs. Unfortunately, the only update on the Ipod line is the color.

So I ordered an Ibasso DX50

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3,888 of 5,999
  No news about a 128GB iPod Touch.  I've been on the lookout as well.  Another option would be to get a wireless drive like the 1TB Seagate Wireless Plus (which I have) and stream from that using WiFi and Seagate's proprietary app.  

An iPod Classic will play ALAC 16bit and WAV 16bit 44.1kHz files.  I am fairly certain it will play 48kHz files (my iPod Video 5.5G does in its stock software).  I don't think it will accept 96kHz files at any bit depth -- iTunes won't let you copy them over.   An iMod is and iPod that has some internal mods done to it, and I think that changes the line-out dock requirements (but am not sure about that).

ALAC and WAV are both lossless, and ALAC is lossless compressed so the file sizes are smaller (sorry as this is probably obvious).  I don't notice any difference between ALAC and WAV in listening, but that is maybe better discussed in the Sound Science forum.

Converting FLAC to anything will require something other than iTunes.  If you can get your FLAC files into WAV, iTunes will convert them to ALAC to shrink the file size.  I've done this (FLAC -> WAV -> ALAC) but forgot how I did the first step.  

Thank you very much for this valuable info mate. So I skip iTouch option than.

The iPod Classic I was talking about is 240 gb and it is done by these people : http://mapplesyrup.webs.com (if I am not allowed to post this website here in head-fi please warn me so I can delete the link. I have no intentions to break the rules, I just don't know are they exactly) I think it is only the capacity improvement and maybe the battery but I think regular LOD cables would still work.

For converting the files, I think I can search for it later too, that's not the most important step now. Now I just want to be sure I can use this 240 gb with M8 without a problem.

Does anybody knowis that website safe to purchase, if no, I would like to learn other websites that I can trust.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3,889 of 5,999

If you have a mac or use OSX this is a great app to convert FLAC to ALAC.

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3,892 of 5,999
One thing I noticed when using the the iPod Classic with the M8 is that the iPod Classic's EQ is still functionally, meaning changing the sound signature according whatever option I choose. I somehow believed or thought that the iPod Classic;s  EQ implantation was "placed" after the digital to analog conversion and wouldn't have any effect on the digital output. It is not an issue at all but just a question about why and I do understand that the iPod Classic's are probably using a digital stage of EQ before their DAC instead of later. I might be very much wrong in my assessment?  I'm just curious at a technical level that I may not even understand..
I'm curious to know this too. I am happy this occurs because I like to eq quite a bit. The vamp verza does the same thing.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #3,893 of 5,999
Use dbPowerAmp works like a charm.

Thanks mate, I will look for it if I decide to get that 240 gb iPod Classic. I just checked all my library, yes there are some files 24/96 and 24/192 so they have to stay like that I am not gonna touch them but still vast majority is 16/44.1 so converting them shouldn't be a problem to alac and they are all lossless I shouldn't lose from the sound.

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #3,894 of 5,999
Well I met Michael from Centrance at the Tokyo.I exchanged my beta Hifi-M8 for the recent model (it was something we had discussed earlier in June/July).Some differences are already apparent. More to follow.

As the older followers of this thread know Centrance asked us whether we would like to have our idevice Hifi-M8 sent to us earlier (from approx July), or wait until the units factory ready to receive the upcoming online 24/96 patch were released.

I opted for one of the earlier (first) units.

I was in the first 20 batch due to my pre-ordering in October 2012.
I was impressed with the sound straight away, and it compared well to the Fostex hp_p1 i had at that time.
As some may remember on the 4-Pin XLR version the 1/4 channels were crossed and some units had to be sent back to be re-wired. My unit was one of these, but no mind I could use the 3.5mm outlet for my general use anyway.

As I knew myself and M.Goodman would be in Tokyo for the October Headphone Show and I had opted to get mine at that earlier time we discussed that we would exchange units later. We had decided that would be easier than sending it in due to some of Japans Postal restrictions.

This was so I could receive a final build unit with software ready to download and implement the 24/96 update at a future time, and also a unit without the left and right channels on the 1/4 reversed.

This was done as planned yesterday at the Tokyo Headphone Show.

----------------

So I was a beta tester of sorts for the first build, and now I have received the final build at this point.
What do I notice?

Build-
First I was struck by the more solid build of the newer unit, it feels more robust.
Switches are more solid, the usb and power jacks are anchored better within the casing.

Impedance (setting)-
On my earlier unit I noted before on this thread how on 1ohm/11ohm setting the vocals were slightly to the right (also on my Fostex hpp1 at 10ohms) and 2ohms the vocals were 'fairly central'(sometimes i had to move my headphones for the sweet spot) I had come to believe this was perhaps an ohm thing as i had encountered similar before on other devices.
BUT NO- This was a part that was not functioning as it should have, Now on the 1, 2 and 11ohms setting the vocals are placed Very central, again very central.
(Glad it wasnt my hearing either).
So this was a happy surprise! No more needing to find the 'sweet spot'.

Sound-
With everything functioning now as it should be it sounds great, cleaner than before, beautiful even.
I do believe I need to get a few more hours on before I can comment fully though of course.

Lightning to usb cables-
I wrote a few days ago about digital cable differences.
Vmoda Tuono- solid build, slightly darker pronounced low end, more forward vocals.
Venturecraft (VC) - more open, micro detailed, spacious, better imaging.
With the new Hifi-M8 unit the gap in sound differences/quality closes more between the cables but Vmoda for the train commute and VC for cafe and home opinion still stands.
-I also noted that I bought a faulty VC lightning cable the other week and then returned it and purchased a new one. I talked with VC at the THShow and they said I could have sent it straight back to them for a replacement and mentioned one run of twenty or so had a faulty part. Fair enough.
They (Venturecraft/VC)also have a new version Lightning cable to be released later in the year with better cabling, more robust and similar to their existing 30pin to usb-a cable. I tried it at the show, I wish it had been on sale last week:wink:.

Hiss with multi armature IEMs and Hifi-M8-
Shure 535 - hiss when no music is playing, low, Nearly inaudible -but there. NO hiss when music is playing.
JH13, JH16 - same as above.
Centrance have a mod where they reduce the gain on a unit so there is No hiss (upon request). I can understand how this hiss could annoy people, but as someone pointed out 'do we listen to the music or no music(silence ) with our units'.
Is the mod needed? Up to the individual.
Essential? No. Imho.

24/96 from idevice-
When? Centrance is still working on that at the moment.

---------------------

And thats my update.
I will have to try to find any posts where I mention what I heard vs the different ohm settings and edit them for current truth.
And I hope to report back once my new unit has settled in.

------------

Long post written via tapatalk app, sorry for any mistakes.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #3,896 of 5,999
Yes, I have some pictures of the cable prototype but my better half had commandeered the laptop for the evening Tomorrow!

Edit:Today!

Here are the pictures of the upcoming Venturecraft lightning LOD.
The length will be the same as their 30pin LOD, so shorter than the prototype pictured here.

From the top:
Old/current version-Apple lightning adapter shrink wrapped to an angled USB cable.
Upcoming lightning cable.
Current 30pin design (The upcoming lightning will be this length).

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,897 of 5,999
Question I can't seem to find an answer to...

Can you use the M8 while it is charging and does it charge while being used?  Ie battery powered fed by an iPod on the transit, powered and PC fed at work/home... yay/nay?

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #3,898 of 5,999
Yes, you can use it while it is being charged. (it can also charge the ipod and Hifi-M8 at the same time via wall outlet).

?. It is my understanding that the ipod and Hifi-M8 do not charge each other to maintain maximum power and independence from each other.
(Am I right other Hifi-M8 owners).

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3,899 of 5,999
Don't care if they charge each other, only that I can get through the day without breaks.  I believe the iPod Classic battery lasts long enough to cover the work day.  At least Apple claims it does.  I use a Zune right now and it's borderline at the 10 hour mark.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #3,900 of 5,999
If I follow the thread and reviews... M8 has some hiss on IEMs even on low gain, 720 has a lot, AK120/HM-901 has none... that about right?

Also how does the Classic/M8 compare to the AK120 and 901/IEM for use with iems exclusively?  Other options I should consider?  Likely JH13fp or Siren equivalent or possibly at ER-4PT with some form of bass boost in my future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back