The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #3,871 of 5,999
Thanks for the kind comments on the cable, folks.

Bmichels - jazzman is correct, this is an i-device version. I don't have a CCK to make a cable to the Usb-B port to test functionality with the B port.

Love the idea of using the Neutrik piece!  I might break down and experiment with some lightning LODs just because.  I can borrow a lightning device from a friend to test.  Can you point me in the direction of the cheap cables you used?  

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #3,872 of 5,999
Love the idea of using the Neutrik piece!  I might break down and experiment with some lightning LODs just because.  I can borrow a lightning device from a friend to test.  Can you point me in the direction of the cheap cables you used?  

The short cables I got came from eBay seller digiplanet131. About $3 a pop. I'm sure most of the generic cables from any eBay seller are similar.

The lightning end, once the outside is stripped off, you can easily desolder the four wires, leaving you with the lightning connector and tiny circuit board. Then do whatever you want with it.

I'm thinking to try making one with an Apple certified cable, as to not get the warning message. But from looking at my actual Apple cable that came with my iPod touch, it may be much more difficult to nearly impossible to get it apart without destroying it. ? ? (Guessing)

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,874 of 5,999
I have an issue playing 24/48 files with my current setup of Ipod Classic 160GB (7th gen) and Hifi-M8.

From off position I turn the power switch to the right on M8. If I play any 24/48 files right away on the Ipod no sound comes out on M8 I only hear a cick and thats it. Turning M8 off and back on again still don't get any sound. 

To fix this I have to play any 16/44 files on the Ipod then, while playing I turn M8 off and on again, browse a 24/48 file and push play on the Ipod then it works. At this point I have no problem playing any 24/48 files or 16/44 as long as M8 stays on. 

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or have any idea what is going on?

I can isolate it yet if the problem is on the iPod or M8

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,875 of 5,999
  I have an issue playing 24/48 files with my current setup of Ipod Classic 160GB (7th gen) and Hifi-M8.

From off position I turn the power switch to the right on M8. If I play any 24/48 files right away on the Ipod no sound comes out on M8 I only hear a cick and thats it. Turning M8 off and back on again still don't get any sound. 

To fix this I have to play any 16/44 files on the Ipod then, while playing I turn M8 off and on again, browse a 24/48 file and push play on the Ipod then it works. At this point I have no problem playing any 24/48 files or 16/44 as long as M8 stays on. 

The M8 can't playing high res (24/..) files through any iPod Classic. A FW upgrade in the future may be able to allow this. I believe they are still working on this. If your M8 plays any high res files through your PC or similar source then you're fine for now.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,876 of 5,999
Does that mean M8 is down-sampling the 24/48 files I play in Ipod? The 24-bit files still play  but I have to play a 16-bit file first before I can play any 24-bit files.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3,878 of 5,999
  Does that mean M8 is down-sampling the 24/48 files I play in Ipod? The 24-bit files still play  but I have to play a 16-bit file first before I can play any 24-bit files.

I have to try out what you're exactly doing. To my knowledge the (my) ipod Classic can't play or natively transfer 24/48 files through the M8 and if it can I would place my bet on that some kind of down sampling is taking place.  As I understand or have been told/read that the M8 is not ready to receive 24/48 and above samples from the iPod Classic. If I'm wrong then I would most certainly be pleased and happy...unless it is down sampling!

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #3,879 of 5,999

My issue isn't precisely identical to yours, but sometimes when I skip track to track, and I come across a song with a different bit / sample rate, the sound would either take a long time to "come on" (although the Classic's time counter would be progressing) or the classic would lock up completely and become unresponsive to clicks.

The only remedy would be to toggle back to the middle "off" mode on the M8, then back right.  It sounds like our classics are hiccuping on the transition from one song bit / sample rate to another.  While this was a fairly frequent occurrence with my Classic, my 5G Touch has only locked up once under same playing / skip conditions.

The Centrance team is aware of this issue with the Classic.  We need more users to report their exact Classic model to David / Kenny / Michael with any similar issues.  

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #3,880 of 5,999
I don't get the same behavior though if I play the same 24/48 file straight out of the Ipod. Well I'm aware of the limitation it just thought I try it and it seems to work somehow. But I guess it's just the Ipod down-samples and forcing it play at 16-bit.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #3,881 of 5,999
One thing I noticed when using the the iPod Classic with the M8 is that the iPod Classic's EQ is still functionally, meaning changing the sound signature according whatever option I choose. I somehow believed or thought that the iPod Classic;s  EQ implantation was "placed" after the digital to analog conversion and wouldn't have any effect on the digital output. It is not an issue at all but just a question about why and I do understand that the iPod Classic's are probably using a digital stage of EQ before their DAC instead of later. I might be very much wrong in my assessment?  I'm just curious at a technical level that I may not even understand..

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,882 of 5,999
Well I met Michael from Centrance at the Tokyo.

I exchanged my beta Hifi-M8 for the recent model (it was something we had discussed earlier in June/July).

Some differences are already apparent. More to follow.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #3,883 of 5,999
I sorry to say that, to date, my experience with CEntrance and the HiFi-M8 as been less than satisfactory. I pre-ordered mid December and finally at the beginning of the month a HiFi-M8 eventually arrived. Unfortunately the unit I was sent turned out to be faulty. This was apparent within about 10 seconds of switching the unit on - intermittent crackling and spikes on the output, its particularly noticeable on the iDevice input. I was asked to return the unit to CEntrance which I did at some expense. All I'm getting out of CEntrance currently is "Sorry, but we're still trying to determine the cause of the problem" with no indication of when I'll get a proper working HiFi-M8.  

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3,884 of 5,999
October has many Audio Industry shows, and Michael of Centrance is traveling to many of these around the world (Tokyo this weekend), so perhaps his staff are awaiting his input into your unfortunate situation.
In my experience they will do everything to put it right for you.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Michael of Centrance in Tokyo this afternoon.

Thanks again Michael, great to meet with you again.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3,885 of 5,999
Folks, I have 2 questions, if someone can shed a light, I would be happy.

So that new app promises to play 24/192 in wav, flac etc. It sure only works with iPod Touch, so my question, is there any news about 128 gb (or higher) iPod Touch? 64 is too small for me so if I go down that route, it won't happen with 64 gb.

Secondly, that 240 gb iMods are working with M8, that's I got it but I would like to learn which files I can play with that iMod Classic? I mean, it does play ALAC 16 bit and WAV 16 bit. However, I am not sure which sample rates are OK and which are not? 24 bit files seems to be down sampled so I rather not to mess with them. If I choose that way, I will have to convert at least 300 gb music (mostly flac) to alac or wav. Which one I should choose alac or wav? Are there any difference? Also, which program you would suggest me to use?

I am sorry if I take too much time or my questions are really noob-ish but I haven't been in iDevice world for a looooong time and I didn't follow their news so I am kind of "French" to this world for the moment. Why I returned back to iDevice world? You got that d**n right, it is because of the Centrance Hifi m8, which is a game changer unit in my opinion.

So why I don't choose AK100 and pair it with M8, it is because I don't like iGreedy's marketing and their view to audiophile world. Their units are overpriced and I don't want to play their game while paying lots of cash to flawed devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back