The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,561 of 5,999
Quote:
Yes, that's our general philosophy. Just trying to gauge the number of people who will be upset because their older iPod is not supported.

Here is the question again:

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/03/11/96-vs-ipod/

Well I have an ipod touch 4G and an iphone 4 so I should be ok.

Are we talking about a latest model (ipod/touch/iphone) being connected via usb to the Hifi-m8 playing full res 24/96?

If this is the case then I say go for the future, high res.

*My question and wondering is even If we put these high files on our recent model ipod/iphone/touch etc will they down sample to 16/41, 16/48 or 24/48?
-I understand the recent ipads are no problem.

I loaded 24/96 tracks onto my ipod touch4G with Fostex hp_p1 and played them via the Flacplayer app (in an earlier beta which shows the file rate on screen), here is a pic.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,562 of 5,999
Michael:

Can you be more specific about the "dividing line" between old and new iPods, and also answer whether it affects iPhones as well?

I have an iPod Touch 3G and an iPhone 3GS that I still use regularly. I have been somewhat lucky, because Apple seems to keep these devices on some version of the latest iOS, whereas the Touch 2G is left behind (and I know no one that is still using an iPhone 3G).

Here's a list of iPods/iPhones/iPads (see timeline at bottom):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPod_models

Going by your two-years deadline in the blog, the only iPod that you would support would be the iPod Touch 5G (4G was released in 2010, and the Classic is even older).

As to your question, I'm somewhat torn if the Touch 3G/iPhone 3GS (similar processor/architecture) is left out in compatibility. On the other side, I'd like to use my iPad2 as a digital transport, so I know I would appreciate 24/96 if it was available.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,564 of 5,999
It's difficult for me to create the survey atm, because I do not know which iPods can't do 24/96. Unsure of the implications for users too.
--
Don't know how these 24/96 etc work, but the below quote is interesting.

There are NO iPods at the moment that will play 24/96... the hardware does not support it, it's all down sampled to 16/44.1
The current Classic's can decode 24/48 but still down sample to 16/44.1 to play.

There is talk on here about the iPad 2 playing 24/96 through the Camera Connection Kit but the songs have to be encoded as AIFF and manually transfered to the iPad, iTunes will not sync the files...

beerchug.gif

So is 24/96 only required when a third party app is used? How about Rockbox?

Even though the HIFI-M8 is a sophisticated device, the key is also to allow easy usage for general users. Most iPod users will just load their songs through iTunes, and opt to listen to it directly, or with an SQ enhancer like M8. The process shouldn't be difficult.

I hope iPod classics will be supported because these are devices with the largest storage capacity. This includes older generation iPods (4-5.5th Gen) with potential to have huge upgraded storage capacity. The 4 to 5.5 generation also have arguably the best headphone out. However, this I believe is a small decreasing minority.

I think this issue requires greater investigation, and study of its implications. 

At the end, we might have to pull another M8 favour. Another build configuration option, or another toggle (automatic?). 

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,565 of 5,999
I'm pretty sure I've loaded files converted from 24/96 FLAC to 24/96 Apple Lossless onto my touch 4G 64gb.  I don't know if it will play them @ 24/96 though.  That makes the case for 24/96 support for me. That said, I'd like to know if the Classics 7G? can also have 24/96 loaded and play them?

I'll go further out on a limb and say that I can't truly hear a difference between 24/96 and downsampled 24/48 or 16/44.1, as long as they all started life as the same 24/96 file.  I think the bulk of the 24/96 improvement is the fact that most of the material available in 24/96 tends to be better recorded or mastered.  THAT is the reason I purchase it.

All that said, and i still want to play my 24/96 stuff in native format, so my preference is still to stay with the 24/96, so long as the touch 4G is supported by this choice.... Yes - selfish SOB).

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,566 of 5,999
Lack of 24/96 is a certain deal-breaker for me. Looking forward to being able to play my files natively rather than down-sampled by FLAC Player (and converted via iPhone 4S's crappy DAC). 

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,567 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've loaded files converted from 24/96 FLAC to 24/96 Apple Lossless onto my touch 4G 64gb.  I don't know if it will play them @ 24/96 though.  That makes the case for 24/96 support for me. 

Some tests to confirm:  

iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.2
DVD-A file at 24/96 dragged from Windows desktop to iPhone in iTunes --> file loaded.
Plays fine in standard Music app (but is is almost certainly downsampled to either 48kHz or 44.1kHz during playback because of the onboard hardware)

iPod Touch 3G running iOS 5.1.1 (latest available)
Same thing as above -- 24/96 loads fine, plays fine in Music app, likely downsampled because of onboard hardware.  

So, getting 24/96 files onto at least some older i-Devices is possible.  This of course doesn't ensure that they will play at 24/96. 

EDIT:  File types in both tests were .WAV.  Rockbox also plays back 24/96 WAV files on the iPod Video 5.5 but chokes on ALAC due to the heavy processing requirements.   Also, the iPod Video 5.5 will take the 24/96 file in iTunes, but attempting to play it in the stock OS causes the player to crash.   Playback of 24/96 on iPod Classics is (at least) limited to 6G and later.  

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,568 of 5,999
Hi Mike,

Excited to see M8 coming out.

How far back are we talking about?

Older ipod touch and ipod mini are be replaced by current generation iPhone with 64GB storage.  I imagine a lot of people are still using ipod classic (myself included) for the large storage.  Unless Apple comes up with at least 128GB with next generation of iPod touch or iPhone, it is hard to imagine giving up the ipod classic.  As long as M8 supports 24/192 as computer DAC, 16/44 with ipod classic for portable option should be fine.   

I don't see 128GB iPad as a viable choice for pairing with M8.  While it's portable, using iPad with a headphone amp is just a mess: dangling wire, stand, etc.

Just my two cents.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,569 of 5,999
I have Flac Player, a camera connection kit, and the audioquest Dragonfly. My Dragonfly indicates that it is outputting 24/96 by turning pink. So, Flac Player can and will output in the encoded format, but you have to have a DAC connected to the camera kit with a powered source: Camera Kit -> powered hub -> 24/96 DAC

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,570 of 5,999
Quote:
I have Flac Player, a camera connection kit, and the audioquest Dragonfly. My Dragonfly indicates that it is outputting 24/96 by turning pink. So, Flac Player can and will output in the encoded format, but you have to have a DAC connected to the camera kit with a powered source: Camera Kit -> powered hub -> 24/96 DAC

I forgot to mention, this setup is with an iPad (original version) running iOS 5.something
I don't believe the camera kit works with the iTouch, or at least it did not work with my version 4. w/iOS 6

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,571 of 5,999
This is something that I feared would happen. I know that the Fostex HP-1 is not compatible with the older iPods. I was not anticipating this issue with the HiFi M8 but now it appears that it is an issue. It would be best to see a list of devices that are compatible at 24/96 with the HiFi M8, including iPods, iPads, touches and iPhones.

That being said I am making a serious investment in this rig (the M8, a 4 pin XLR silver cable, Heir 8a) and I want it to be really good sounding. While there are tons of good material out there that are not in FLAC, Lossless or other HiRes, I do want the option of listening at a higher quality too. I know this is a dumb question but please assure me that all of my regular files will play just fine.) I do not think that I, for one, want to comprimise my investment for the want of another $250.00 for an iPod that I will probably get anyway. Besides, the gen 5.5 can stay in the car, connected to the Levinson/VaisTech.

Centrance just got a positive review from TAS about their desktop speaker. Stepping back to support all iPods is not consistent with what Centrance appears to be doing with its other products. 24/96 (or higher, like 24/384!!) all the way! Remember, we are after "Portable. Nirvana."!

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #1,573 of 5,999
Personnaly,
I'm planning to use my ipod calssic with my hifi-m8, so I'm positive with the best centrance could take out of it. An thinking about it the combo with the ipod classic makes sens as it is one devise with the biggest capacity on the go.. and moreover, if we are turning ourself to the futur and futur devises apple with produce, 24/96 will be the way to go.
So I'm with the 24/96 capability hoping my Ipod classic willl work with it.
all my best and support to centrance and head-fiers.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,574 of 5,999
Quote:
Yes, that's our general philosophy. Just trying to gauge the number of people who will be upset because their older iPod is not supported.

Here is the question again:

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/03/11/96-vs-ipod/

Michael,

In M8's blog, you mentioned "or we support 24/96 reliably, but only for newer devices." Does it also mean that M8 could face an issue of reliability to support all generations of iDevices in 24/96 mode? If the answer is YES, I'd rather choose to support 24/96 ONLY for NEW iDevices. Reliability is what I'm concerned about M8 due to its super high complexity. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,575 of 5,999
mgoodman: Since I'm probably the only one so far who opted for the LX version, does that mean my unit will be ready before everyone else is?
size]

In the beautiful delicate words of the Great Urban poet: Rick James....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back