The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,201 of 5,999

This is the flacplayer app (older beta which shows the details onscreen) on my ipod touch 4G w/Fostex hp_p1.

It can take the files but downscales them in Hz, not sure about bits.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,203 of 5,999
Hi Michael, just pre-ordered the M8 LX yesterday, assuming the LX model (USB/SPDIF) will work fine with iPad camera connection kit over USB, but is it still limited to 24/96 (like on iDevices port on non-LX version) or can it go up to 24/192 via the camera connection kit ?

I already have the DacMini that I am using with my original Samsung Galaxy Note along with a third party Android USB Class-1/=Class-2 capable audio driver, but it is limited to 24/96 over USB on DAC Mini due to DAC MIN only USB supporting Class-1,
assuming on an M8, it can go all the way up to 24/192 when used with this Class-1/Class-2 USB compliant driver or are there additional caveats ?

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,204 of 5,999
Quote:
We will be able to replace a battery and don't expect charging an exorbitant amout for that work. That's after the warranty is up, obviously. Within warranty, it's on us. Pretty much like all other products out there. Let me know if you have any concerns with this approach.

Hopefully you understand that I'm only funnin' with you.  I pay my money and I take my shots... 
wink.gif

I'm only slightly less enthusiastic than you about the potential of the M8.  Stay the course.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,205 of 5,999
I've been lurking around on this thread for quite a while. I currently own the Fostex HP-P1, which I quite like, but the idea of having an Amp/DAC for both my iDevices AND my laptop is very exciting.

One thing I'm confused about is the headphone jack. I use Ultimate Ears Custom IEM's which have a standard 1/8" (or is it 3.5mm?) jack. Will I have to use an adapter with the HiFi M8, or will it have the appropriate jack built in? I don't see one in the pics on the website.

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,206 of 5,999
Quote:
I've been lurking around on this thread for quite a while. I currently own the Fostex HP-P1, which I quite like, but the idea of having an Amp/DAC for both my iDevices AND my laptop is very exciting.

One thing I'm confused about is the headphone jack. I use Ultimate Ears Custom IEM's which have a standard 1/8" (or is it 3.5mm?) jack. Will I have to use an adapter with the HiFi M8, or will it have the appropriate jack built in? I don't see one in the pics on the website.

Thanks!

the 4 pin and rsa front versions both have 1/4 and 1/8 (3.5mm) inputs so adapters wont be necessary
its in their pictures, the small hole beside the volume pot

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,207 of 5,999
Just saw on HiFI M8 blog the comments about 24/192 support, seems like android and other phones don't go up-to 96KHz or 192 KHz:

1. Could a third party android usb audio driver provide a way out of this situation ?

It will not act as a standard audio device for all applications/players, but at least an app+driver pair could likely get it to work for tracks played by that app.

Another option is to provide some jumpers/buttons on the HiFi M8 to allow Up/Down ability to cycle through sampling rates advertised by M8.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,209 of 5,999
I bought Grado 325is for my setup and am not very happy with them, I plan on running a GS3 or IPad3 to HIFIm8, which semi-portable headphones should i get. They will be used in collage environment so sound isolation is high on my list of needs, portability not so much as i will just keep them at school in the locker. any recommendations?

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #1,210 of 5,999
Hi Michael, just pre-ordered the M8 LX yesterday, assuming the LX model (USB/SPDIF) will work fine with iPad camera connection kit over USB, but is it still limited to 24/96 (like on iDevices port on non-LX version) or can it go up to 24/192 via the camera connection kit ?

I already have the DacMini that I am using with my original Samsung Galaxy Note along with a third party Android USB Class-1/=Class-2 capable audio driver, but it is limited to 24/96 over USB on DAC Mini due to DAC MIN only USB supporting Class-1,
assuming on an M8, it can go all the way up to 24/192 when used with this Class-1/Class-2 USB compliant driver or are there additional caveats ?

MG: iPad is limited to 96kHz by Apple. CCT should be fine with LX.
Sounds like a third party driver to *bypass* the android audio infrastructure may in fact be the way to go... M8 will do 192 over USB.

Thanks!

Pick the version with 4-pin Neutrick or 4-pin RSA jack and you are in business. 3.5mm and 1/8" are used interchangeably here and refer to the same connector.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,211 of 5,999
Quote:
Just saw on HiFI M8 blog the comments about 24/192 support, seems like android and other phones don't go up-to 96KHz or 192 KHz:

1. Could a third party android usb audio driver provide a way out of this situation ?

It will not act as a standard audio device for all applications/players, but at least an app+driver pair could likely get it to work for tracks played by that app.

Another option is to provide some jumpers/buttons on the HiFi M8 to allow Up/Down ability to cycle through sampling rates advertised by M8.

ibasso DX100 ( or HDP-R10 ) android usb output
can go up to 24/192 by M8 ? 

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #1,212 of 5,999
The iBasso DX100's USB port is for computer connections only as far as I know. 

I do know my iPad will stream 192k from a shared iTunes library to a device connected via the CCK, because it did so (through the device I had receiving it didn't like something and wouldn't play back properly). Would be interesting to try that with the M8.

The funny thing is, even though at first I suggested something other than dual 3-pin XLR sockets for the M8, I'd probably end up ordering those as with a pair of male-to-male adaptors I could use it as a dedicated balanced DAC. I ended up making adaptors for my headphone cables as in Japan many balanced amps use HeadRoom's old standard.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,213 of 5,999
I'm getting the JH-13 Pro IEMs as my portable option, but I have yet to decide on a portable DAC/Amp. My main candidates have thus far been the Dacport, Headamp's Pico, and now the hifi M8. As the possibility to try them all out will be out of the question, I will base my decision on specs. As I can see on CEntrance's website, there are no definitive measurements for the M8 yet. Are there any hints as to the digital and analogue performance of the M8 yet, and in comparison to the Dacport and Headamp's Pico?
I'm certain the question regarding specs must have come up earlier in the thread, but browsing through 81 pages of thread is a little extreme, so I apologize if my question is a repeated one.
Cheers!

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,214 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm getting the JH-13 Pro IEMs as my portable option, but I have yet to decide on a portable DAC/Amp. My main candidates have thus far been the Dacport, Headamp's Pico, and now the hifi M8. As the possibility to try them all out will be of the question, I will base my decision on specs. As I can see on CEntrance's website, there are no definitive measurements for the M8 yet. Are there any hints as to the digital and analogue performance of the M8 yet, and in comparison to the Dacport and Headamp's Pico?
I'm certain the question regarding specs must have come up earlier in the thread, but browsing through 81 pages of thread is a little extreme, so I apologize if my question is a repeated one.
Cheers!

Well my friend, if you do a search or two in this thread, you will come to your answers about the Dacport in terms of anticipated sound comparisons. I do not believe anyone has drawn any conclusions yet to the Pico. The Dacport is not really comparing apples to apples, in usability, as it is computer dependent whereas the M8 is complete portable solution.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,215 of 5,999
Since it is not entirely clear I am going to ask. 

I preordered the M-8 to use with my Gen 5.5 iPod, Gen 1 iPad and laptop (iPad and laptop soon to be replaced with a Surface Pro and I am going to give the iPad to my wife.  She has no clue but since she does not EVER look at the Head-Fi website the secret is safe).  Yes, I ordered the correct configueration for Apple products.  Will I need a Camera Connection Kit to use the HiFi M8 with the Apple devices?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back