The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #842 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread can move rather fast at times and it can be hard to keep up. Is it possible to hook up an external amp and just use the M8 DAC? I like to mix and match my amps depending on the gear I'm hearing so if this product could function not unlike a quasi CLAS DAC that would be a killer feature for me.

We're unsure because there are (at least) 2 versions in the works with differing output configurations. There has been talk of making the 1/8 output a line out. So, if you order the version with a 1/8 inch-1/4 inch-single XLR, then one of the outputs (1/8 I believe) would be a line out/digital out.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #843 of 5,999
Quote:
@bmichels and wormdriver

Did you read the part about sharing details in that e-mail?

Haha,

What I read about centrance they seem a good bunch of guys and they would not mind a slip up like this.

You get a discount for your trouble to review and provide feedback. Good on Centrance and I am looking froward to deal with them in the future,

I have added them in my list of prefered companies: Heir, RSA etc

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #844 of 5,999
Quote:
Still afraid to be on the "pre-order" list...

I am very fortunate to still be on the "pre-order" list. But, I am still hesitating to take advantage of this "privilege" because I am afraid that those "pre-oreder units" may still have some flaws that will be corrected in the final version...

We wouldn't release something that was half-baked. We will only give you something we believe in. Chassis will be final, which means perfect look and feel. Electronics will also be final. I'd rather not have a "temp" version and a "final" version. I would like to be working on new things after this (we have plenty), so what you get will be the final, full-featured product. You would simply get it at a discount. This process helps us deliver it to you faster.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #845 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread can move rather fast at times and it can be hard to keep up. Is it possible to hook up an external amp and just use the M8 DAC? I like to mix and match my amps depending on the gear I'm hearing so if this product could function not unlike a quasi CLAS DAC that would be a killer feature for me.

There will be three versions:

- Dual combo XLR. One of the 1/4" jacks can be used for phones, the other for line out. The volume control will affect the line out level. 
- 4-Pin RSA + 1/4" + 1/8".
- 4-Pin XLR + 1/4" + 1/8". 

In both cases, the 1/4" jack will have headphone output, which can be used as line output. The 1/8" jack will have SPDIF out and headphone out, which can also be used as line output. The headphone amp will be extremely linear (low distortion, pitch-black noise floor), so if you don't mind having a volume control on the line output, it's totally ok to use the headphone output as line output.

Most likely we will not have a chance to stick line level in the 1/8" jack. I know this is not what some people expected, but we are running very short on time, so I'd rather didn't create false hopes -- 1/8" will most likely be a headphone out, meaning "post pot".

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #846 of 5,999
Though to reiterate for those who care about such things, when the volume is turned up all the way the audio signal "essentially" doesn't see the pot. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #850 of 5,999
There will be three versions:
Most likely we will not have a chance to stick line level in the 1/8" jack. I know this is not what some people expected, but we are running very short on time, so I'd rather didn't create false hopes -- 1/8" will most likely be a headphone out, meaning "post pot".

That's a shame. In that case, it's probably best to stop using the term 'line-out' from this point on since there won't be one. Just too confusing.

Though to reiterate for those who care about such things, when the volume is turned up all the way the audio signal "essentially" doesn't see the pot. 

This is a bit of hopeful thinking. You can mitigate the affects of a pot (such as miller capacitance, etc.) by reducing attenuation but it never disappears. The best way to test this is to run a DACPort LX versus a DACPort into a transparent amp w/ a solid transducer. Now adjust the DACPort pot how ever you like to replicate the transparency of the LX. It can't be done. I've read that HPA even likes his DACPort more than the LX for his tastes but that confirms that they do not sound the same no matter what you do with the pot. The non LX will sound more colored. Whether you prefer that or not is another question entirely. Those that care about a line-out, care about a line-out, not something trying to behave similar to a line-out. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I'm in even if it's not 100% what I'd like but what is in life? Besides, if it doesn't work out for me, there's always options.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #851 of 5,999
Well of course, yeah even with the volume maxed you're still running the signal through an amp section. Centrance says their distortion/noise/etc is good enough to not be noticeable though. 

Then again, many so called lineouts still run the signal through a unity gain buffer, which isn't so different from amping anyways... 

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #853 of 5,999
Yeah don't forget that not only is the signal running through the internal amp, but its also running through the pot which the main reason IMO the lx sounds better than the non-lx when the output is used as a "line out". But I know you can't get everything you want. But since Michael says it doesn't matter, I'm going to take him at his word although apparently using a pot did matter with the port. Nevertheless, he's been the most trustworthy vender I've ever come across, so that's good enough for me.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #854 of 5,999
That's a shame. In that case, it's probably best to stop using the term 'line-out' from this point on since there won't be one. Just too confusing.
This is a bit of hopeful thinking. You can mitigate the affects of a pot (such as miller capacitance, etc.) by reducing attenuation but it never disappears. The best way to test this is to run a DACPort LX versus a DACPort into a transparent amp w/ a solid transducer. Now adjust the DACPort pot how ever you like to replicate the transparency of the LX. It can't be done. I've read that HPA even likes his DACPort more than the LX for his tastes but that confirms that they do not sound the same no matter what you do with the pot. The non LX will sound more colored. Whether you prefer that or not is another question entirely. Those that care about a line-out, care about a line-out, not something trying to behave similar to a line-out. Just sayin'.
Anyway, I'm in even if it's not 100% what I'd like but what is in life? Besides, if it doesn't work out for me, there's always options.

Technically correct, but personally, I couldn't hear the difference between dacport and dacport LX into a dynalo... My ears are pretty good. It kinda reminds me of the mathematician and the engineer told they can cross one half of the distance at a time to reach a beautiful girl. As they get within a foot or so, the mathematician is increasingly saddened he will never reach the lovely girl. The engineer winks at her, holds out his hand and says "close enough".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back