The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #796 of 5,999
I don't want to derail much more, but I'll add a bit more re: shipping charges...

It's really only the base service levels of UPS and FedEx that are bad, UPS Standard and FedEx International Ground, the services above those typically include brokerage fees so the receiver doesn't have to pay them.

True, but you wind up paying more for the shipping itself, so it sort of balances out. Sometimes it'll be less, sometimes it'll be more. At least it'll (usually) be faster though. I've had large-ish boxes come up through UPS or FedEx that bypassed brokerage fees, but then my shipping was $40-70 by itself. 

Sometimes (rarely, from my experience) the supplier handles brokerage for you, but then also charges you an amount that may or may not be more than if the shipping company did it. 

You can choose to broker a parcel yourself by letting the shipping company know that you will do it. You will need your invoice and a few papers to do it. If they bring the parcel to your door, you must refuse shipment and wait a day for it to go back to the depot (but grab all necessary papers from the courier before he leaves). Then head over to the shipping office, show your invoice and id and etc to get your customs papers. Take those papers over to the customs office and have them look it over (you'll still pay relevant duties and taxes, and a small dispensing fee). Now take your approved customs papers back to the shipping office and they'll clear you. Now head over to the depot (which may be different from the office) to claim your package.

Headphones are duty free (so I've been told; don't quote me on it), but as far as I'm aware other stuff may be subject to duties, especially if manufactured overseas. So you'll pay a % on the goods coming in, and oh guess what you'll pay a tax% after the duty% has been calculated, so it's a double kick in the pants. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #797 of 5,999
Quote:
I don't want to derail much more, but I'll add a bit more re: shipping charges...

True, but you wind up paying more for the shipping itself, so it sort of balances out. Sometimes it'll be less, sometimes it'll be more. At least it'll (usually) be faster though. I've had large-ish boxes come up through UPS or FedEx that bypassed brokerage fees, but then my shipping was $40-70 by itself.

This is only somewhat true. The paragraph after the one you quoted I mentioned costs but I'll expand what I meant. If the shipper is a private individual or a small company who doesn't typically ship via these couriers then yes, high rates are applied, but, if the shipper is a company who is doing any amount of volume shipping using FedEx or UPS they will usually get better rates. As an example, Sena Cases has $10 flat rate FedEx International shipping. I got my iPhone case from them in a couple of days without any extra fees, I doubt USPS/Canada Post could have pulled that off for $10.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #798 of 5,999
I missed have missed this earlier in the thread, but is there any reason why the three-pin XLRs can't be used to output to powered desktop monitors? If this works, that would sway me to go with the dual-XLRs configuration. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #799 of 5,999
Quote:
I missed have missed this earlier in the thread, but is there any reason why the three-pin XLRs can't be used to drive desktop monitors? If this works, that would sway me to go with the dual-XLRs configuration. 

Yes you will be able to use it as a preamp to drive a pair of powered monitors or desktop amp.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #801 of 5,999
Back to the outputs, I am actually thrilled that the unit will have a regular 4 pin XLR as I have 2 phones terminated that way.  My iems are terminated to 1/8 so I am grateful for that option.  A 1/4 output is nice as it adds versatility.  I can't think of another portable device with so many options.  Because you can use the 1/4 or 1/8 to function as a line out I think the optical spdif with the 1/8 out that is also similar to the the one offered on the larger mac book pros creates even more versatility.  I am a one pre-order person that likes the M8 exactly the way its coming.  Thanks CEntrance!

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #803 of 5,999
Quote:

Yeah!   

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=68

Larry probably has one of these, too!   

biggrin.gif

Believe it or not, I don't.  I just wasn't interested in the iBasso balanced amps so I didn't bother.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #804 of 5,999
Quote:
May I assume that we will be able to confirm the inputs once again before the units are built to be sent to us?  

Yes, we will let you know when the date is getting near and you will then be able to finalize your decisions.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #807 of 5,999
Pardon the dumb question, but is the only difference between the 2 versions that one offers iDevice input and the other optical?

If I were to primarily use a HiFi-M8 with a laptop via USB, then it wouldn't really matter which version I went for?

Also, does using the USB input limit the DAC in any way as seen with some dac/amp boxes?

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #808 of 5,999
So I emailed Centrance about possibly getting on the preorder and they replied back with just a blank email with a signature, but nothing typed. I replied letting them know and they never responded.

Bizarre customer service...

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #809 of 5,999
So I emailed Centrance about possibly getting on the preorder and they replied back with just a blank email with a signature, but nothing typed. I replied letting them know and they never responded.

Bizarre customer service...
Wow. Considering their willingness to accept feedback and have our input into the m8 via this thread, centrances michaels great replies and listening to our humble opinions, his patiences with our constant requests, his near daily blog updates, the prompt emails and replies myself and others have received........the sensible and Charitable thing when receiving a blank email would be to guessthat somewhere.....oh.my.god ..... There was human error.

Buttt hay dis ez teh interwebz.....groan.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #810 of 5,999
Quote:
the sensible and Charitable thing when receiving a blank email would be to guessthat somewhere.....oh.my.god ..... There was human error.

That's precisely what I did. 

The fact that they ignored me after I pointed it out speaks volumes though. 

And, I never did get an answer to my original question either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back