The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #437 of 5,999
Well there seems to be work in progress for the combo lineout/optical. And iBasso seems to do well with their combo linein/lineout jack on their amps (which I do use). It doesn't seem too farfetched to be able to combine that...  *shrug*

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #438 of 5,999
Quote:
I'd suggest something with quality parts in it already...Cowon, Colorfly, Telecast...

I've never had issues with their UI and honestly they're more versatile than iDevices. 

EDIT: J3 is probably still my choice.

I do not want to make this about Apple.......I'll just say, that with my FT!334s and Miracle's I want a UI that is in that class.
Apple's is polished and bullet proof. And for $225 I get 160 Gigs of space. I just today returned a DX100 and I am not interested in trying anything
other than i~products. So, we are a democracy.....you can have your full size cans, full size system, I don't mind and don't begrudge products being made for you, but also made portable for me.
OK, rant over.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #439 of 5,999
I was just making a suggestion that to me seems more convenient (again, to me) for IEMs. 

Having to use a very low profile adapter doesn't make it any less portable for you, but if an 1/8" combo jack raises the price it makes it less enticing for me. :D

It'll be a good unit all around either way...

Quote:
I do not want to make this about Apple.......I'll just say, that with my FT!334s and Miracle's I want a UI that is in that class.
Apple's is polished and bullet proof. And for $225 I get 160 Gigs of space. I just today returned a DX100 and I am not interested in trying anything
other than i~products. So, we are a democracy.....you can have your full size cans, full size system, I don't mind and don't begrudge products being made for you, but also made portable for me.
OK, rant over.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #440 of 5,999
OK, rant over.

+1 :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #441 of 5,999
Thought about one of these, and I'm on the preorder list, but after spending about 20,000 on every kind of rig imaginable, portable and home rigs I finally came to this conclusion. Listening to my iPhone 5 with a decent IEM is good enough. And when I want great sound I use a 11" MacBook AIr with Puremusic player 96/24 tracks and a Dacport. Plenty portable for me. And sounds to my ears better than any portable rig I've ever had. With all that being said I love CEntrance products.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #443 of 5,999
Quote:
My dacport is the only surviving portable amp now. All others has either been sold or given away. That is why I believe in their product. That dacport is just magic IMO.

Totally agree what this product does in a case the size of a cigar is unreal. I expect nothing less from the M8.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #444 of 5,999
Thank you guys. We are very proud of DACport! I still can't believe that it has 200 [very good] parts inside :)

A little known fact -- DACport has been around for a while, we've amortized the original development costs and have decided to lower the price to just $299.95. It's now more affordable than ever!. 

To answer some questions:

> ...when we're asked to specify our choice of outputs ([2 combo XLRs] or [4-pin XLR and 1/4"]) and choice of inputs ([HiFi-M8 with USB and iDevice inputs] or [HiFi-M8 LX with USB and S/PDIF inputs]) does this mean that CEntrance will be making 4 different models (regular version & "LX" version, each available with either double 3-pin XLRs or  4-pin XLR & 1/4" jack)?
Yes, it does. In reality, it's the same device with 4 different choices for face plates. Makes our life a bit easier that way, still gives you plenty of choice.

> sorry for the inexperience but how would one hook up an android through spdif to the m8?
Some Android phones support USB audio and therefore look just like a regular laptop to a DAC. There is a big push to make more units have that capability, but that's up to Google and individual device makers. Those units that have this function we would support via the existing, regular USB input. SPDIF input is there for other sources, such as game consoles, Apple TV, Sonos, etc. We had a hole and decided to plug it with something useful :)

> Would M8 be able to extract digital audio from a RockBoxed iPod?
We aren't planning to support anything that's been modified. The reason is the Apple protocol that we use to extract digital audio from the device. So if the device is seriously different from original Apple product, we may/may not be able to support it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #445 of 5,999
Well there seems to be work in progress for the combo lineout/optical. And iBasso seems to do well with their combo linein/lineout jack on their amps (which I do use). It doesn't seem too farfetched to be able to combine that...  *shrug*

its the ADC and mic-pre thats the issue, all the options they are offering simply interface with the same parts on the circuit with different connectors. a discrete mic-pre and ADC do not. one could conceivably leverage a mono mic-pre from the headphone amp circuit without too much complication in gain, but if you want a digital out from that mic input, not just analogue, then its a whole different ballgame. it also doesnt seem to sport a line in at all? does it work as just amp? sure doesnt seem to utilize any balanced line in, which is whats needed for a decent mic connection, usually transformer balanced

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #446 of 5,999
There are VAST differences between a playback product and a recording product. We know -- DACport was actually borne out of the MicPort Pro. Back in 2009 I asked Jude to listen to the output of the MicPort Pro and he suggested that we needed to beef up the sound quality on the output to truly make that an audiophile listening product. MicPort Pro sounds great and works really well for recording, but it's only $150, you know. We did beef up the sound quality, came out with DACport and the rest is history...

As I mentioned, there is completely different product planned for recording in the M8 family. However, I can only concentrate on one product at a time... That's the only way to ensure quality. So, let's talk again when M8 is shipping :)

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #447 of 5,999
Qusp, I didn't say release it with ADC included, I made a product suggestion knowing Centrance's background.

Regarding the current product, digital out is better than no digital out and I have to say, if I didn't have my DACport, the LX would be tempting especially under 600$. :)

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #448 of 5,999
Quote:

A little known fact -- DACport has been around for a while, we've amortized the original development costs and have decided to lower the price to just $299.95. It's now more affordable than ever!. 

Wow, that's cheaper than some of the used prices I've seen. Tempting... 

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #449 of 5,999
Quote:
My dacport is the only surviving portable amp now. All others has either been sold or given away. That is why I believe in their product. That dacport is just magic IMO.

I share the experience too.  For a long time, I have been searching for a portable rig that could power my Headphones as most of the amplifiers then could never deliver in terms of sound quality or amplification to drive them.  The Centrance DACport delivered that in spades and has surpass my expectations for a portable rig.  Its great to know that the good people at Centrance will continue to outdo themselves with the new Hifi-M8.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #450 of 5,999
Quote:
2) On the other hand, if people are not opposed to having the volume control "in the way" of the sound...

Isn't the quality of the volume pot the weak link in the sonic pathway?  Isn't that why Burson and others use a discrete stepped attenuator in lieu?

I would think a true line out for SQ would be the superior option over an added convenient direct 1/8" headphone jack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back