The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #5,762 of 5,999

Found this cable on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291178728689?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

It fits perfect with no tension. Right now I'm using Samsung J3->UAPP->M8 -> LCD-XC. Sounds amazing for a fairly portable unit. It could be 1-2 cm shorter, but then there may be too much tension on the connectors. Great deal for $6 shipped from Hongkong. I got it in exactly 9 days. I'm in the Bay Area. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #5,763 of 5,999
Hello all,

I have a Centrance Hifi M8 for Idevices (USB) and recently purchased a Astell & Kern AK300. I wanted to know if it is at all possible to connect the AK to the M8 via USB?  I have tried to use the stock cable used for data transfer and charging, however no sound was produced. I am fearing that I would have to go for the LX version, used for Android devices, however not sure what cable I would need to connect them, I guess I could connect it via the 3.5mm or 2.5mm (balanced) output.

I would appreciate any advice you may have.
Thanks

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #5,764 of 5,999
Would you say its a worthy investment to replace a desktop amp, while also being able to go mobile? I would want to be able to power full sized cans (HD800's) and some people say that the mojo isn't powerful enough fully drive them. Thoughts?

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #5,765 of 5,999
  Would you say its a worthy investment to replace a desktop amp, while also being able to go mobile? I would want to be able to power full sized cans (HD800's) and some people say that the mojo isn't powerful enough fully drive them. Thoughts?

I use mine for just that purpose.  They work great with the HD 800.  It's amazing to have a mobile battery powered amp and use it at the desk.  I usually use the amp with the T5p, but when I'm at home (main rig is at the office), it works great with the HD 800.

Edit: With a good DAC, balanced (if you want) output, minijack output, and power flexibility, it's a great way to go.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #5,766 of 5,999

I use mine for just that purpose.  They work great with the HD 800.  It's amazing to have a mobile battery powered amp and use it at the desk.  I usually use the amp with the T5p, but when I'm at home (main rig is at the office), it works great with the HD 800.

Edit: With a good DAC, balanced (if you want) output, minijack output, and power flexibility, it's a great way to go.

Would you have a suggestion for desktop? Portable would be nice but it isn't 100% necessary. Currently I am also  looking at these amps.
  1. Violectric HPA V200 ~$750 used
  2. Lake People G109-P $700 new
  3. Cavalli Liquid Carbon ~$600 used

Thoughts and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #5,767 of 5,999
I haven't tried these, so it's hard to say.  As someone with a desktop rig that takes switching 5 items to turn on, there is some beauty in a small simple package.

My experience is that the power supply is the most critical element of an amp after you reach a certain level.  One thing I like about the HiFi M8 is that you can drive it off it's own DC Li-Ion battery, which will be really stable power and help with a low noise floor.  I guess my general thoughts is that for the benefits of the M8, I'd be looking to a much more expensive amp with beefier power supply than it seems the others listed have.  On the surface, the unbalanced amps don't seem to offer all that much over the M8, and two won't let you have the flexibility of a balanced connection should you desire with your HD 800s.  I prefer it for mine, but to each their own.

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #5,768 of 5,999
  Would you have a suggestion for desktop? Portable would be nice but it isn't 100% necessary. Currently I am also  looking at these amps.
  1. Violectric HPA V200 ~$750 used
  2. Lake People G109-P $700 new
  3. Cavalli Liquid Carbon ~$600 used

Thoughts and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

The Liquid Carbon is a superior amp to the HiFi-M8.  But that isn't saying the M8 doesn't have its purpose.  Oddly the M8 is less quiet background then the LC.  One would think being battery powered, would lend itself to the opposite.

Before getting my Musette, I used my M8 as a DAC for my LC by using it at low gain at 95% volume with nice results.

I've just learned that good desktop stuff is always superior to good portable stuff, and that's no knock on the M8...

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5,769 of 5,999
Can I charge this amp/dac through its usb?

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #5,771 of 5,999
Dec 28, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,774 of 5,999
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #5,775 of 5,999
The Hi-Fi M8 is alive again!!

Since I got the Centrance Skyn, I was primary using the Skyn with my iOS device (iPod).

However, since hooking up the Skyn to the PC, I can now listen to music from the PC either on my headphones or on my Audioengine A5+ speakers through the M8. Sounds great!

Also, since the charging is through the USB cable, I don't have to worry about charging it through the brick. Yes, it's slow, but I just leave it on overnight. Works for me!

Look pretty cool on my desk too :)

Is the Chord Mojo going to replace this??!!!
I have the Mojo, Hugo, and this amp. The M8 sounds as good but better due to its great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back