The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,671 of 5,999
the M8 is quite good and drives anything easily...the Hugo and Mojo are better but not such an extent that the M8 is not viable....it is a fine and versatile product

Plus, it can connect with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad without the CCK.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #5,672 of 5,999
Plus, it can connect with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad without the CCK.

Yes, that's a big plus for me given my iPhone is my DAP, and so the package is clean with a short lightning cable.

Also, as your picture shows, having 4-pin XLR output (even if it isn't truly balanced) is a nice touch for those who have their headphones terminated that way. I just placed my order for an Ether C (woohoo!) and decided to go with the balanced DUM cable with 4-pin XLR. I was able to do so given the M8 has the output, and I like the added flexibility to get a high-end desktop amp down the road (ie. Ragnarok, WA5LE).

Also, I'm reminded that the M8 is almost (over?) 2 years old now. We should keep that in mind - while I'm happy companies like Chord (and Cypher Labs) are pushing the envelope to make improved products, I want to be careful not to make it feel bad about my M8! Still love this thing!

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,673 of 5,999
Yes, that's a big plus for me given my iPhone is my DAP, and so the package is clean with a short lightning cable.

Also, as your picture shows, having 4-pin XLR output (even if it isn't truly balanced) is a nice touch for those who have their headphones terminated that way.

Indeed.  That is why I purchased the HiFi-M8.  It was the least hassle way connect my iPhone and Macbook to a pair of  HD800 which were terminated with XLR for my GS-X and had a host of other connection options, power / tone settings which have let me use it in a wide variety of situations. I have also used the TOSlink out to feed older DACs from my iPhone.

The M8 didn't match my desktop system, but the SQ is good enough to be enjoyable and it's very transportable.  If I still had my desktop I wouldn't bother upgrading... but since my portable rig is now my primarily system I am in the process of switching to something with a better SQ.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #5,674 of 5,999
Great opinions. I love the M8 and was just thinking about adding the Mojo to my stable of hifi gear. This is my current endgame setup.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #5,675 of 5,999
Great opinions. I love the M8 and was just thinking about adding the Mojo to my stable of hifi gear. This is my current endgame setup.

Lovely!! Looks so good! This is a similar endgame to me too, except I have the XCs, a Q-cable and the qa360 dap, feeding the XCs through optical. Don't have pics because my new XCs are in Australia and I'm in China! Patiently waiting until December to hear them...

How's it sound?? I can't wait!!

I don't have much knowledge on the sound science... But the Hifi m8 has made my MacBook Pro sound so much better through my 650s. I'm sure there are better products for SQ out there, but being able to have a 4pin XLR output on a small transportable unit that takes optical input is just awesome, especially for the price. It is perfect for my freelance editing work that I do while travelling. Couldn't ask for anything better at the moment. And in a few years, endgame desktop amp to look forward to!

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #5,676 of 5,999
How's it sound?? I can't wait!!

Clean, natural, expansive. Makes my LCDX sing! Tons of options is what I like most about the M8. Don't know how the sound can get much better than this.

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #5,677 of 5,999
the truth is the differences between the top products are getting narrower all the time.....the mojo for 600 dollars is a truly fabulous prodict and believe me i also have the yiggy/rag combo so i am comparing it to among the best.....the M8 is a wonderful product with a dynamite amp for a portable.....only the vorzuge pure II+ dives headphones as well IMHO in a small compact package

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #5,678 of 5,999
  the truth is the differences between the top products are getting narrower all the time.....the mojo for 600 dollars is a truly fabulous prodict and believe me i also have the yiggy/rag combo so i am comparing it to among the best.....the M8 is a wonderful product with a dynamite amp for a portable.....only the vorzuge pure II+ dives headphones as well IMHO in a small compact package

I'll be able to do some comparing soon haha. Just ordered the Mojo. Couldn't resist. The M8 will still be around for the most power-hungry headphones, but I want to see what the Mojo can do.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,679 of 5,999
the mojo is better..more refined DAC..more portable...the M8 is more powerful but the Mojo drives all my cans quite easily....both outstanding but the mojo is the better choice if you are a first time buyer

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,680 of 5,999
It's a Mojo hype, don't trust it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back