The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 6, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #5,657 of 5,999
Michael Goodman replied back that the one I linked in this thread will work with the HiFi-M8.  He did say make sure that any adapter that you guys buy is "+" tip like this one.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #5,659 of 5,999
So does this have true balance? I wanted to try that with my HD 650. If not I'm thinking about buying Oppo HA-2 and the Fiio E12.

No, but it has great power coming out of all headphone jacks.  The HD650 sounds great on the M8, regardless of me using the 1/4" of XLR...

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,661 of 5,999
Having the occasional hard freeze in win10 while watching youtube, i can tell when its going to happen and thus avoid the freeze by stopping playback if im quick enough when i hear the audio start skipping/distorting, this is regardless of browser so prolly a problem with whatever browsers use to play vids as its rock solid stable with my audio workstations, music players, games ect

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #5,662 of 5,999
What DAC chip and opamp/buffers are used in the M8? Could someone please point me to the precise specs?

I looked at the beginning of the thread, and on the CEntrance product page I could find no info on this... 

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #5,663 of 5,999
Hi I've tried searching to no avail.

Has anyone directly compared this to the Chord Mojo? Would like to know whether it's an up-, side- or downgrade from the M8. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #5,664 of 5,999
  Hi I've tried searching to no avail.

Has anyone directly compared this to the Chord Mojo? Would like to know whether it's an up-, side- or downgrade from the M8. Thanks.

Not to the Mojo, but to Chord Hugo (and Lavry DA11):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1260#post_10404275

Both Hugo and DA11 are in a different league, M8 clearly elsewhere:
"Not surprisingly, the DAC in the HiFi-M8 (amplifier set to line level) was inferior to the Hugo and the Lavry. I threw it into the test because it was easy since the GS-Xmk2 has three inputs. Since each source was matched within 1db of each other and then I could switch between sources at will with no persevere difference in volume level.
Pretty quickly I stopped bothering with the HiFi-M8. It was clearly not in the same league of the other two DACs, though I noticed some of the passages that sounded very congested through the HiFi-M8 in the first test were not nearly so noticeable when the headphone were being driven by the GS-Xmk2."

From what I hear Mojo comes with a performance directly comparable to Hugo at a fraction of the price... And Mojo seems to be beating hands down desktop equipment like Oppo HA-1. So personally I've changed my mobile reference point from M8 to Mojo...

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #5,665 of 5,999
Thanks for the comparison. Not exactly what I wanted but it's a good gauge of what the Mojo can do. It's nearly as I feared haha.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #5,666 of 5,999
I compared the M8 with the Senoressence Herus+ In this thread and the Chord Mojo is one step further compared to the Herus +: more air, more details, better coherence. However, the Herus has more weight and more body than the Chord. The M8 is playing in a different league.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,667 of 5,999
Thanks, so it's probably a one-sided battle.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #5,668 of 5,999

Not to the Mojo, but to Chord Hugo (and Lavry DA11):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1260#post_10404275

I saw this post and thought, that's odd, someone besides me compared those components?! Oh... that was my post.  I spent several hours doing a three way comparison between the Hugo, Mojo, and HiFI-M8 yesterday with a pair of HD800.  This time it was a sighted test so I am not as confident of the results as what was posted above. The punch line is that from sound quality perspective the HiFi-M8 seemed to be a full step behind both the Hugo and Mojo.  There were less noticeable differences between the Mojo and the Hugo (I prefer the Hugo).

If you are looking for a portable DAC that takes on of Mojo's three input forms to drive headphones which have  3.5mm jack, the Mojo delivers significantly better ROI than either the Hugo of HiFi-M8. The HiFi-M8 still has a place for people who need it's versatility and the Hugo trumps both but at a excessive price point.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #5,669 of 5,999
Thanks so much for the comparisons. When you say M8 is a step behind does that mean the Mojo and Hugo has better detail and soundstage?

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #5,670 of 5,999
the M8 is quite good and drives anything easily...the Hugo and Mojo are better but not such an extent that the M8 is not viable....it is a fine and versatile product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back