The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #5,191 of 5,999
Get an error message, no usb device detected. No sound through the M8. Did everything as you said (had done it that way the first time). Anything else I could be doing wrong?

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #5,192 of 5,999
This is really frustrating, can't find user manual on line, CEntrance site has no option to email for help, no active faq or forums for help, another on line purchase making me wish I had dealt with a responsible dealer. If I can't get more use out of it soon (it has spent some time as an expensive paperweight), may decide to get rid of it. It would make a good usb amp/dac for the PC, but my Geek Out Special Edition is in residence there at the present time (might be a project to compare them I suppose...).

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #5,193 of 5,999
The trouble with Android devices is they are all different, so some work, some dont.

*Hifi-M8 wiki
http://centrance.laurenson.com/index.php?title=Contents

*Galaxy S4:Samsung S4 > ibasso otg cable > Hifi M8 
As expected, it only works with USB Audio Recorder Pro app. (same as my Dacport)
Thanks to Wormsdriver.

via ButtUglyJeff

So far, in my limited research, these are the LX compatible DAPs:

AK100 & AK120
DX100 (HDP-R10)
and in a limited fashion the IHIFI960

Android phones also have limited capabilities, depending on flavor and app used...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-impressions-thread

OTG cable is ok? Not faulty?

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5,194 of 5,999
I had to change 2 usb otg cables, the first one I received was defective, the second stopped working after a few days, I blamed the m8 too, but it was working fine on my laptop. So, I decided to spend a little more for a branded cable, 5$, not a single problem since then.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #5,195 of 5,999
Well, I purchased this one
INSTEN® Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter
bought it on Amazon for $6.49, which is expensive for some of these
Ratings average 4 stars, but some people do complain that theirs didn't work.
I didn't see any brands on Amazon that I'd know was better than any other, even went looking on some of the "high end" cable sellers, which would be significantly more than $5 but didn't see any that had otg cables.
Can anyone recommend a good cable and I'll try again?
Thanks
I had to change 2 usb otg cables, the first one I received was defective, the second stopped working after a few days, I blamed the m8 too, but it was working fine on my laptop. So, I decided to spend a little more for a branded cable, 5$, not a single problem since then.

The trouble with Android devices is they are all different, so some work, some dont.

*Hifi-M8 wiki
http://centrance.laurenson.com/index.php?title=Contents

*Galaxy S4:Samsung S4 > ibasso otg cable > Hifi M8 
As expected, it only works with USB Audio Recorder Pro app. (same as my Dacport)
Thanks to Wormsdriver.

via ButtUglyJeff

So far, in my limited research, these are the LX compatible DAPs:

AK100 & AK120
DX100 (HDP-R10)
and in a limited fashion the IHIFI960

Android phones also have limited capabilities, depending on flavor and app used...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-impressions-thread

OTG cable is ok? Not faulty?

Thanks for the input, went to the Wiki, they say have to use otg cable and link to Amazon. The link, however, seems to be to all Amazon's otg, 20 pages worth (one from "generic" very high on the list), so I don't think it constitutes a recommendation of a specific cable. I guess they aren't too expensive, can just start ordering blindly, but then I have to wait for each one to arrive, try it out, then start over again if the next one doesn't work. I guess I can just use the CEntrance with my PC, but I've been pretty happy with my Geek Out Special Edition. The GO SE is a bit underpowered for some of my headphones (doesn't do well by the Hifiman HE560, even the Senn 650 do better with more power), but I really do like the sound of these. Could make for a "made for Head-Fi" comparison, if I can squeeze out the time, and complete all the other comparisons I've promised people :) )

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #5,196 of 5,999
Yep the insten is the same didn't worked in my case, I bought the startech, both cable and adaptor but the cable is better IMHO as it's more flexible, the adaptor takes more space and it's rigid, it could break the usb port if bended.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,197 of 5,999
Yes, sometimes its better just to spend the extra money upfront for a decent cable (or any product).
Buy once and it saves on disappointment, breakage or poor performance.....and then spending more money to replace the poor product with an effective one. Buy once.

Looking forward to your next update.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #5,198 of 5,999
That's all well and good if you can tell what is a good cable...they all have 4 stars on Amazon, look the same to me, and, until the posts here, had no idea what was a "good" cable. Even wiling to spend more than the Amazon prices for something from an audiophile cable manufacturer, but didn't find any in some searching. Anyway, will order a replacement soon, like to get the cart in Amazon past the free shipping level (I did do that by putting the Senn ie800 in, but slapped my wrists and moved it to the "for later" section. Been TOO good to myself already this past holiday season!)

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #5,199 of 5,999
after reading here for a while I decided to buy the m8 for my new Alpha Prime. I bought the LX version despite the main usage for now will be my iPhone 4 and iPad Air (the LX was cheaper and I like the optical out). what possibilities do I have connecting the iPhone to the m8's USB-B? I could use the CCK with a short USB-A to USB-B cable but I wonder if there is any less bulky options with a direct connection as the m8 should support iDevices without CCK. thanks for your advice!

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #5,200 of 5,999
  after reading here for a while I decided to buy the m8 for my new Alpha Prime. I bought the LX version despite the main usage for now will be my iPhone 4 and iPad Air (the LX was cheaper and I like the optical out). what possibilities do I have connecting the iPhone to the m8's USB-B? I could use the CCK with a short USB-A to USB-B cable but I wonder if there is any less bulky options with a direct connection as the m8 should support iDevices without CCK. thanks for your advice!

The LX isn't an iDevice model.  But like you said, you can still connect using the CCK.  And on the LX model that's the only way.  I have seen some non-cable adapters, and I think ExpatinJapan and AnakChan uses one.  And that's the shortest chain possible.

On a side note, I listened to the Alpha Prime through a HiFi-M8 LX fed by an AK120 this past November.  And you sir are in for a treat; great combo...

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #5,202 of 5,999
Should be the Hugo, but of course there is a considerable price difference.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #5,203 of 5,999
   I have seen some non-cable adapters, and I think ExpatinJapan and AnakChan uses one.  And that's the shortest chain possible.

On a side note, I listened to the Alpha Prime through a HiFi-M8 LX fed by an AK120 this past November.  And you sir are in for a treat; great combo...

thank you Jeff, can't wait to test them together :)

And after doing some research i think these two things should connect an iphone 4 to the m8 LX.
does this work and if so, does it do hires?

30pin to USB-A: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OB5IH5U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A326X3AG3XUTK4

USB-A to USB-B: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003THTFYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4OWIYSTAAKZQ

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #5,205 of 5,999

thank you Jeff, can't wait to test them together :)

And after doing some research i think these two things should connect an iphone 4 to the m8 LX.
does this work and if so, does it do hires?

30pin to USB-A: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OB5IH5U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A326X3AG3XUTK4

USB-A to USB-B: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003THTFYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4OWIYSTAAKZQ

Can't tell about the first cable, not having any i-player, but I'm 99% sure the second one won't fit your m8 usb b port, you should find a standard printer one instead. 
something like this
 http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000VFMOXU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back