The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 19, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #4,741 of 5,999
Hello there! I also have the IEM mod on my M8. My music route is Mac Mini>ALAC/HDTracks 24/192(mostly)>Audirvana+>M8>various HP's/IEM's. I have noticed the static like noise when adjusting the volume pot too.

May 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #4,742 of 5,999
16/96 using a standard 30 pin cable. With the Teac.
2y7anyqu.jpg

menejapa.jpg

To add to the mix of 30pin vs lightning in the hi res conversation.
Where is the chokepoint?, 24 bits, hardware, cable, software....?

May 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #4,744 of 5,999
Using iphone 4 and flacplayer app btw. Latest OS.

It is very cool that Flacplayer shows the sample rate and bit depths on screen.   

Does it only support FLAC files?  

I'm looking for an app that shows sample rate and bit depth on screen but is more general purpose.  I have Onkyo's app which does up sampling but no display of the DAC's behavior.  I also have a Seagate Wireless Plus which does support hi-res playback through the CCK (verified using the HRT microStreamer as that DAC has sample rate LEDs).  

On the M8, one can use the optical pass-through and check sample rates by putting that to another DAC, but there could be additional conversion going on.  If I recall correctly, I was seeing things at 24/192 from that optical output even if the input sample rate was lower.  

May 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #4,745 of 5,999
I am not sure whether to trust what flacplayer is displaying. 
It could be displaying 96Hz but only putting out 48 or 41.

But the display is curious for sure.

Flacplayer is only FLAC, yes.

I have the Onkyo app, but prefer Onkyo.

May 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #4,746 of 5,999

This is true, however in the specific case of the iPad2 I was referring to, 24/192 already works in a stable fashion when using the CCK and Onkyo HF Player app, and 24/96 even works over iTunes Home Sharing with the iPad's stock Music app.

That does of course drain the battery more quickly than straight 16 bit playback does, no surprises there.

So it does not appear hardware limitations on something like an iPad2 would ruin the user experience, if they write the new firmware to accommodate it.

But they won't, because they want to sell more devices.

24/96 over home sharing?  Yeah...right.  I mean it will play the file I bet.  I also bet that it is being sent over Airplay which is 16/44 meaning that it cant be 24/96.  I mean its hard to tell what is going on in the Apple world because stuff works, just not the way you want it to.  Stream something to Apple TV, your 24/96 file will play!! OMG!! Like amazing!!  Except that it gets converted from 24/96 to 16/44 then to 16/48 and then it is played!  Beeeeeeautiful!!!  Nah.  I think not.  

I mean I think the CCK gives 24 bit support but idk if anyone is actually sure its 24 bit and not being downsampled somewhere.  Because if I play the file without CCK/M8 hooked up then it plays just fine.  Still says 24 bit depth.  The output SAMPLE RATE is displayed different but its hard to be certain that the bit depth is functioning properly.  In theory, without the CCK and M8 it should truncate the last 8 bits or atleast thats what my iPod Classic does.  It plays the 24 bit file like a charm but it isnt using the bits...

May 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4,748 of 5,999
One big difference between AirPlay and iTunes Home Sharing:  iTunes Home Sharing pulls the bits and does playback on an app local to and under control by the listener, whereas AirPlay pushes bits to an app on a remote device, which appears to interrupt whatever else is going on and takes over playback.   

AirPlay seems to me to be a lot harder to get working reliably, so it makes sense to simplify the options to avoid the dreaded "no sound"  possibility (or worse yet, a burst of noise) when the DAC fails to switch rates, for example. 

May 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4,749 of 5,999
It's now almost a month I'm waiting mine, no big deal, I have other toys to play with in the meanwhile, and Mr Goodman always replies promptly to my questions, so I don't feel "forgotten" :sweat_smile:

My Hi Fi m8 lx is just arrived, charging in this very moment, for what I can hear I'm happy to have returned the beyer A200p. The only concern is the audio player I'm using on my note 2 / nexus 5 (usb audio player pro), is this the only one available on the market able to drive an external dac?

May 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #4,751 of 5,999
  My Hi Fi m8 lx is just arrived, charging in this very moment, for what I can hear I'm happy to have returned the beyer A200p. The only concern is the audio player I'm using on my note 2 / nexus 5 (usb audio player pro), is this the only one available on the market able to drive an external dac?

It depends which DAC and Android phone. For example, on my LG G2 & HTC One X any music player app works on FiiO E18 but only UAPP works on Theorem 720 (maybe the same compatibility on Hifi-m8.)

May 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,752 of 5,999
  It depends which DAC and Android phone. For example, on my LG G2 & HTC One X any music player app works on FiiO E18 but only UAPP works on Theorem 720 (maybe the same compatibility on Hifi-m8.)

Anyway, I'm getting used to it, it reads almost everything, it's a little buggy when connecting/ disconnecting the usb cable but no big deal. I was afraid it couldn't work at all, so I bought also a bluetooth device with optical output (I use my hifi m8 at work), with that I should be able to use every player I want, but I haven't tried it yet though. Switching from the srh840 to the dt 770 pro 250 has been really nice, next step the hd650.

May 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4,753 of 5,999
I've just read on centrance's Facebook page that there is a 20% discount if you buy now, coupon: MEM14 .

May 24, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4,754 of 5,999
I've just read on centrance's Facebook page that there is a 20% discount if you buy now, coupon: MEM14 .

Man, that's a steal, they should sell a boat load at 20% off!

May 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4,755 of 5,999
Using iphone 4 and flacplayer app btw. Latest OS.

But how do you get the FLAC files on your iDevice? I tried to drag & drop from my music folders to iTunes/music for my iPad3 and it is not supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back