The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #4,591 of 5,999
  Hey All,

Sorry about the lack of info. We have been super busy with trade shows, HiFi-M8 production and Mixerface/Mini-M8 development.

The 24/96 upgrade is still in the works and we will have more info very soon!

-Kenny

Kenny and Michael Goodman,

what is the CEntrance definition of "soon"  within 90 days (of 24 Jan)?  within 180 days?

it would be great if MG could stop traveling around the world to promote MixerFace for more than a week and simply address previous M8 owners and *finish* the product that came out last year instead of stringing us along....

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,592 of 5,999
  it would be great if MG could stop traveling around the world to promote MixerFace for more than a week and simply address previous M8 owners and *finish* the product that came out last year instead of stringing us along....

Maybe M8's owners might only get a prompt outcome if some MixerFace owners are informed about how Centrance might deliver semi-finished products and ignore concerns of current product owners.

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #4,593 of 5,999
Dear expat,
`.....We are actively working on 24/96 for M8.  24/96 capability is contingent on many factors, so it has taken more time than we originally expected.....`

I did receive this email six days ago to an inquiry I made.

From my ongoing correspondence with Centrance i can assure head-fiers that they haven`t forgotten about us.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #4,594 of 5,999
  I did receive this email six days ago to an inquiry I made.

From my ongoing correspondence with Centrance i can assure head-fiers that they haven`t forgotten about us.

well that is at least some form of legit CEntrance info. thank you.
although it does bring into question to their earlier purported "we've got it ready via an update coming soon" type of updates seen late into 2013/early 2014.
still won't hold my breathe....

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #4,595 of 5,999

I believe the answer for both the Galaxy Note, and the HTC One, as well as the Sony ZX1 mentioned in an earlier post is they will only connect via the USB-B port. You need an OTG cable which is different from a regular USB cable.

Only iOS devices made by Apple will run from the M8's iDevice input, which is set up to do the Apple authentication handshake for their own proprietary DAP protocol and no others. That also means the iDevice input is limited to 16/48, though CEntrance was said to be working on a firmware update that would allow some newer Apple devices to operate at up to 24/96 kHz.

The previous post mention of a ZX1 needing a special cable is correct, but it's not an iDevice cable, it's an OTG cable that allows the ZX1 or other hardware/firmware compaitble Android devices to operate in USB Host Mode.

Here is a picture of an OTG cable in use with a Resonessence Labs Herus DAC, and an LG G2 Android phone:

You would need a similar OTG cable, you can even make one yourself by taking a standard USB cable and modifying it like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Better yet just buy one, there are some high-end/custom choices out there, or the StarTech pictured with the Herus and G2 is all of about $ 5.60 in the U.S.

When pin 4 and 5 are tied together, it signals to compatible devices to operate in Host Mode, this is also how you would connect a thumb drive, mouse, game controller etc to an Android device.

Thank you MF for the very informative response! Good to know the USB-A connection is strictly for iDevices. I am currently using the OTG adaptor pictured below, mated to a USB-A to micro-USB cable and connected to my portable DAC/amp. If i remove the OTG adaptor and use a micro-USB to micro-USB cable between the two devices i get no sound. I'm assuming the OTG adaptor is necessary to transition to USB-A prior to the handshaking/data transfer but i'm not really sure if that's the case.

Anyway back to the M8, i wonder if i will need the OTG adaptor in the loop to connect to the USB-B input or can i just use a straight micro-USB to USB-B cable? I am trying to keep the cables & adaptors to a minimum and use the shortest cables possible. 

Looking for the cable below in a shorter version (if i need to keep the OTG adaptor).

Or this if i don't need the OTG adaptor.

Also, am i right in saying Android devices have an advantage over iDevices with the M8 since the USB-B connection is async?

Edit: The iDevice input is also Async, however limited to 16-bit/48Khz.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #4,596 of 5,999

Or this if i don't need the OTG adaptor.

Is the micro-USB OTG? I presume it will work and will be better and simpler. Do you have the link where this can be bought?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #4,597 of 5,999
  Is the micro-USB OTG? I presume it will work and will be better and simpler. Do you have the link where this can be bought?

Actually it is according to the description: 'Micro USB to USB B Male OTG (On-the-go) Cable'. Just wish i could find a shorter one like the one pictured below.

http://m.dckina.com/mobile.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1587

Here's a picture from the Centrance website, makes me wonder if that cable is supplied with the M8?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #4,598 of 5,999
Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Looks like it will work. I am still waiting for my Hifi-m8 to be available and have already purchased cables similar to the link you provided.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4,599 of 5,999
I need some help please.Can anyone provide me with the pin configuration for the balanced mode on the HiFi-M8 lx version?

And do i really need the pin configuration to do balance termination on my headphones?

Many thanks.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #4,603 of 5,999
You will need the OTG cable or adapter in the loop, it is the only way the Android phone/tablet senses/knows to go into USB Host Mode. Normally the phone/tablet is in Device mode, it is more or less a peripheral when connected to a host computer for instance.

When connected via OTG, the phone becomes the Host, and the connected peripheral such as a DAC, thumb drive, etc is the Device. It is the only way it will work.
Thanks again for the clarifications MF. I don't see this OTG adaptor in the earlier posts of end-user pictures though? Also, shouldn't it work if the micro USB to USB-B cable is described as 'OTG'?

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,605 of 5,999
You lost me, I don't know what OTG adapter missing from earlier end-user posts you are referring to.

If you are still hoping an OTG cable or adapter is included with the M8, check that with CEntrance.

Regardless, you need either an OTG cable (so yes if the micro USB to USB-B cable is described as such it should work) or an OTG adapter like the one you already have plus a standard USB cable with the correct plug.

That's again why I bought the OTG cable with a Type A female, you can use other cables you already have with it as well as a thumb drive.

No worries, you already answered my questions, I was just pointing out that the photos of end-user rigs on the Centrance website did not have the separate OTG adaptor which I'm trying to avoid...seems like I can.
Thanks for the info regarding the use of a thumbdrive with Android/OTG, very useful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back