The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #4,606 of 5,999
Ah, I see, you meant using only an OTG cable and not the adapter you already have.

Let us know how you do with it once you receive the M8 and OTG cable of choice.

I was quite impressed with the LG G2's seamless integration. That's my friend's phone in the picture I posted and he was able to transfer a bunch of FLAC files from my thumb drive and play them through the G2's native music player app in all of about 1 minute.

I believe the Note3 will be the same.

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,607 of 5,999
I need some help please.Can anyone provide me with the pin configuration for the balanced mode on the HiFi-M8 lx version?

And do i really need the pin configuration to do balance termination on my headphones?

Many thanks.

Just saying "LX version" isn't descriptive enough, as that only denotes the input side of the M8, where the LX has a Toslink optical input replacing the standard version's iDevice input. That has nothing to do with balanced output.

For the output side, there are 3 different model configurations that offer balanced output. One is a Kobiconn (aka "RSA") jack, another a 4 pin XLR, and the third uses a pair of 3 pin XLRs (one for each channel).

In any event, you'd need to contact CEntrance to confirm the pin out of any of the above balanced outputs in order to properly re-cable your headphones.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,608 of 5,999
Just saying "LX version" isn't descriptive enough, as that only denotes the input side of the M8, where the LX has a Toslink optical input replacing the standard version's iDevice input. That has nothing to do with balanced output.

For the output side, there are 3 different model configurations that offer balanced output. One is a Kobiconn (aka "RSA") jack, another a 4 pin XLR, and the third uses a pair of 3 pin XLRs (one for each channel).

In any event, you'd need to contact CEntrance to confirm the pin out of any of the above balanced outputs in order to properly re-cable your headphones.

Sorry about that. The one i'm looking for is the pin output configuration on the 4 pin XLR.

I have already contacted CEntrance and hoping to get the answer soon so i can start reterminate my cable properly.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4,609 of 5,999

I bet the delay is the Apple certification.

Anything MFi like the M8 needs that approval from Apple, and it's probably like pulling teeth to get it, but it would serve CEntrance no purpose or actually harm their chances at quick approval if they were to point a finger at Apple for delays.

Not saying I have any information to refute the above, but IMHO the speculation about "Apple certification" seems a bit off.
CEntrance would have already received Apple certification for the lightning cable to work with the USB A port, true?
and that an iDevice with Lightning cable into USB A does delivers standard 16/44  already to the M8.

not sure why CEntrance would need Apple certification again (if the above is true) for the M8 to accept 24/96 and/or higher.

IIRC,
the last technical reason from Michael we had on "why there's no iDevice hi-rez flowing directly into USB A port" was some difficult to code or implement update to the M8 chips itself.
that nut appeared to be cracked awhile back (or am I only day dreaming....) and Kenny/CEntrance said (24 Jan approx) "something soon" (ie.  field upgradable method) would be happening.

then MixerFace took over and here we sit...

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4,610 of 5,999

Not saying I have any information to refute the above, but IMHO the speculation about "Apple certification" seems a bit off.
CEntrance would have already received Apple certification for the lightning cable to work with the USB A port, true?
and that an iDevice with Lightning cable into USB A does delivers standard 16/44  already to the M8.

not sure why CEntrance would need Apple certification again (if the above is true) for the M8 to accept 24/96 and/or higher.

IIRC,
the last technical reason from Michael we had on "why there's no iDevice hi-rez flowing directly into USB A port" was some difficult to code or implement update to the M8 chips itself.
that nut appeared to be cracked awhile back (or am I only day dreaming....) and Kenny/CEntrance said (24 Jan approx) "something soon" (ie.  field upgradable method) would be happening.

then MixerFace took over and here we sit...

I have no specific information to the contrary of the points you have made, however the initial MFi certification CEntrance received was likely not for 24/96 capability, so it stands to reason they would need an additional Apple approval for the following reasons.

Apple bases much of this certification on whether or not the technology or feature set the MFi device offers, in their own lofty view, passes muster for what they call the expected level of customer experience.

Time and again, Apple rejects things that don't offer the level of performance they feel is necessary, or performance that would somehow detract from the overall user experience.

This can take many forms, chief among them is effect on battery life. If what you are trying to do whacks their battery too hard, they won't allow it to be MFi certified. I'm not referring to the MFi device actually draining their battery directly, but simply in concert with their iDevice does the battery drain too fast. This was the primary reason they never allowed Adobe Flash on iOS, despite what all of the conspiracy theorists thought.

Lastly, this update won't work with all iDevices, as many of the earlier generation units don't have the necessary on-board hardware and processing power. This suggests that the current Apple DAP protocol would need to be modified for only those devices they feel can reliably work with 24/96 files. I have a hunch that would mean those devices receive an iOS/firmware update to unlock them. Almost like a jail break, except officially Apple sanctioned.

Maybe Michael Goodman or another CEntrance contact on this forum is able to elaborate on my conjecture without breaking any NDAs or revealing competitive secrets?

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #4,611 of 5,999

I have no specific information to the contrary of the points you have made, however the initial MFi certification CEntrance received was likely not for 24/96 capability, so it stands to reason they would need an additional Apple approval for the following reasons.

[]

Maybe Michael Goodman or another CEntrance contact on this forum is able to elaborate on my conjecture without breaking any NDAs or revealing competitive secrets?

indeed, all good points.  it would be (beyond) great if MG or Kenny or CEntrance would finally address the topic and tell us:

a) what the delay is (if possible NDA)?
b) who is in control of removing the log jam?
c) how soon after B is removed can the implementation be rolled out to us end users?

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #4,612 of 5,999
Can anyone please confirm which cables\adaptors come standard with the M8, thank you.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,613 of 5,999
Can anyone please confirm which cables\adaptors come standard with the M8, thank you.

I believe ExpactinJapan posted photos of the box contents in the other "appreciation" thread.  Check page 1 there...

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #4,614 of 5,999

I believe ExpactinJapan posted photos of the box contents in the other "appreciation" thread.  Check page 1 there...

Yes,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread#post_9415206

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #4,615 of 5,999
Apr 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #4,618 of 5,999

Not all iOS devices are going to work with this anyway, it won't be universal.

If you have a somewhat newer iOS device, get the CCK, that works up to 24/96 right now.

Actually, ExpatinJapan has had success with 24/192 FLAC and the FLAC Player App, using the CCK of course....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back