The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #556 of 5,999

Agreed. I care way more about sound quality than I do battery life. For people who value battery life over sound quality, there are a ton of good sounding portables that have that.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #557 of 5,999
Quote:
> Come to think of it, why don't we have the option between longer battery and shorter battery life ?
We are going for maximum possible. No sense in making it less :wink:

Hi Michael,
Can you give some estimation on how long the battery will last? I also prioritize the SQ over the battery life but if the Battery life is too short than it would be a problem for me. I think that about 7-8 Hours running time is appropriate for this type of product, is it achievable?

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #558 of 5,999
We are still a couple of weeks away from a definitive answer. The thing is, we are redesigning the analog section (amp) and that will undoubtedly affect things. We are also making the circuit much more optimal than DACmini. This is designed to counter-balance any negative effect of a beefier amp.

We know how to make a medium quality amp that will last over 8 hours. We are working to make a DACmini quality amp that lasts an appreciable amount of time. More on this soon.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #559 of 5,999
If you can make it sound like a dacmini, I would be fine with two hour battery life lol. That would be just long to get through a 60 ring gauge cigar on the patio. Anything longer would be a bonus in my book.:D

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #560 of 5,999
Audio winning.

Quote:
If you can make it sound like a dacmini, I would be fine with two hour battery life lol. That would be just long to get through a 60 ring gauge cigar on the patio. Anything longer would be a bonus in my book.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #561 of 5,999
I would personally hate to see less than 4 hours battery life, 5 or better would be ideal. That will get one cross country on a direct flight, or to Hawaii from the west coast. 5 hours falls way short if one is flying to europe or Asia. 4 to 5 hours would more than cover the hour or two I get in the living room before every one else wakes up. The rest of the time, I'll plug into a wall outlet. Any less than 4 hours and a plug in digital dock and a desk top amp start to look pretty good for a similar price.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #562 of 5,999
Quote:
If you can make it sound like a dacmini, I would be fine with two hour battery life lol. That would be just long to get through a 60 ring gauge cigar on the patio. Anything longer would be a bonus in my book.
biggrin.gif

X2 to the power of 10.

make it a dac mini quality .. I am also fine with 2 hrs. Make it fiio quality and I dun even care if  last 100days. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #563 of 5,999
Quote:
I would personally hate to see less than 4 hours battery life, 5 or better would be ideal. That will get one cross country on a direct flight, or to Hawaii from the west coast. 5 hours falls way short if one is flying to europe or Asia. 4 to 5 hours would more than cover the hour or two I get in the living room before every one else wakes up. The rest of the time, I'll plug into a wall outlet. Any less than 4 hours and a plug in digital dock and a desk top amp start to look pretty good for a similar price.

Most any flight I take is a minimum of 5 hours.  2-3 hours.......for a portable device.....NO WAY.  It is after all portable not transportable.
I'm in the 8 hours or more group. I do run out the battery with the Fostex HP-P1 on most of my trips.

I am open to the idea of a rechargeable battery pack after 7-8 hours, any suggestions?

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #564 of 5,999
Most any flight I take is a minimum of 5 hours.  2-3 hours.......for a portable device.....NO WAY.  It is after all portable not transportable.
I'm in the 8 hours or more group. I do run out the battery with the Fostex HP-P1 on most of my trips.

I am open to the idea of a rechargeable battery pack after 7-8 hours, any suggestions?

In general, I agree. I don't listen 100% of any flight. I *think* I read or heard on a video interview that one can plug an external rechargeable battery.

EDIT - I sound like an apologist and fan of 5 hour battery life. I would greatly prefer 8-10 plus. I could live with 5 hours if I had to.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #565 of 5,999
I forget if we were told the M8 would charge off USB.  If so, this looks like a pretty decent option.  I have the case for the iPhone and it works very well, so  I can only imagine the same quality would be found in this battery pack.

http://www.mophie.com/juice-pack-powerstation-PRO-smartphones-tablets-p/2028_jpu-pwrstion-pro.htm

I vote audio quality over battery life as well, but within reason... I like the 5 hour range.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #567 of 5,999
Energizer makes a few battery packs as well. Heck, there are a multitude of Stepdance owners who use those to actively power their amps at 15V.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #568 of 5,999
From the Centrance site:

DC Powering

+9...+20V DC (3A) from external adapters, car, boat, etc.

This implies that a battery pack with a tip that matches the wall wart tip can be used, 9 to 20 volts. The energizers would surely work, which jives with Armeagis above, and with the comment I remember. There is a battery pack that is used frequently by the tapers over @ taperssection.com, but I don't remember which one. It seems there are options though.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #569 of 5,999
> This implies that a battery pack with a tip that matches the wall wart tip can be used, 9 to 20 volts. The energizers would surely work,
All true. An external brick from Energizer, Eneloop, etc. will work just fine. 

Having said that, we are not giving up on y'all and will work to give you reasonable battery life. I just don't have the data yet to have an intelligent conversation.

2-3 hours would not be good in my opinion... :wink:

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #570 of 5,999
I have to say I'm so impressed by Centrance. To be this involved with customer requests & questions throughout the development process is refreshing. A far cry from the JH3a experience. In fact it's one of the reasons I took the pre order. (& the bass boost just quietly!)
Awesome job guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back